New Member from IN

blacksun73

Reaction score
Hello, just joined as I finally decided to make my first post. I'll admit I have been reading on most of the post on alldeaf for quiet some time. Yes, I'm profoundly deaf since I was a baby. Been oral only all my life with the so called magical aids like some of u have. Sure sucks. And I agree it isn't the way to go, but that's that. I know some asl, but ain't a skilled. I think I do alright though. I'm the only deaf in the family and of course, none of them sign.:giggle:

Been into mainstream schools all my life without interpreters or notetaker. Yeah, I had to depend on lipreading at all times, but did have one period with a deaf eds teacher to help me get through with homework or whatever I missed out on. Funny as it seems, thought it was perfectly normal for a deaf to learn. Had no idea there was a such thing as a deaf culture till I finished H.S. The only friends I had were my deaf classmates who were also oral only. That was the only social life I knew. Of course hearings always found an excuse not to involve me, even my own family does it too, but not as bad as it was in school. I guess I turned out ok. ;)

Now my first cultural shock was when I went to NTID since my oral friend was already there for a year. It was hard and arkward, but in time, it got easier and so much fun. I couldn't believe I was held back from all this. Now fast forward to the present, back into where I was raised. Working and just making a living. It sure sucks, hearing people sure haven't changed when I was told that they will get better compaired to the rude kids in school. Maybe just a little, but not enought since oral only was the best way for deaf to interact with the hearing world. What a bunch of crap, excuse my Lang. ;)

I'll admit I do have a hard time meeting new people, it's always been hard for me since I had to depend on myself for finding things to do or trying to hook up with my old friends. But, they are far and away living on their own as I am.

So, here I am. Hope to chat with more of u every now and then, I really like this site. ;)

Wow

Wow I can not imagine going through school like that but I am glad it all worked out, here in the DC area I do not know any Deaf who do not sign. I hope you meet lots of people and good luck!

To be specific, Muncie, IN. Land of the potholes on the road. It's full of them. ;)

How far away are you from Indiana School for the Deaf? Maybe try to get involved in things there.

Welcome to AllDeaf and also Deaf Community ! Learn ASL and Deaf Culture are fun and challenge for you. :)

Back