New Member from IN

blacksun73

Reaction score
Hello, just joined as I finally decided to make my first post. I'll admit I have been reading on most of the post on alldeaf for quiet some time. Yes, I'm profoundly deaf since I was a baby. Been oral only all my life with the so called magical aids like some of u have. Sure sucks. And I agree it isn't the way to go, but that's that. I know some asl, but ain't a skilled. I think I do alright though. I'm the only deaf in the family and of course, none of them sign.:giggle:

Been into mainstream schools all my life without interpreters or notetaker. Yeah, I had to depend on lipreading at all times, but did have one period with a deaf eds teacher to help me get through with homework or whatever I missed out on. Funny as it seems, thought it was perfectly normal for a deaf to learn. Had no idea there was a such thing as a deaf culture till I finished H.S. The only friends I had were my deaf classmates who were also oral only. That was the only social life I knew. Of course hearings always found an excuse not to involve me, even my own family does it too, but not as bad as it was in school. I guess I turned out ok. ;)

Now my first cultural shock was when I went to NTID since my oral friend was already there for a year. It was hard and arkward, but in time, it got easier and so much fun. I couldn't believe I was held back from all this. Now fast forward to the present, back into where I was raised. Working and just making a living. It sure sucks, hearing people sure haven't changed when I was told that they will get better compaired to the rude kids in school. Maybe just a little, but not enought since oral only was the best way for deaf to interact with the hearing world. What a bunch of crap, excuse my Lang. ;)

I'll admit I do have a hard time meeting new people, it's always been hard for me since I had to depend on myself for finding things to do or trying to hook up with my old friends. But, they are far and away living on their own as I am.

So, here I am. Hope to chat with more of u every now and then, I really like this site. ;)

Brandon7887

Reaction score
Wow

Wow I can not imagine going through school like that but I am glad it all worked out, here in the DC area I do not know any Deaf who do not sign. I hope you meet lots of people and good luck!

blacksun73

Reaction score
To be specific, Muncie, IN. Land of the potholes on the road. It's full of them. ;)

deafdyke

Reaction score
How far away are you from Indiana School for the Deaf? Maybe try to get involved in things there.

Kalista

Premium Member
Reaction score
Welcome to AllDeaf and also Deaf Community ! Learn ASL and Deaf Culture are fun and challenge for you. :)