New mapping

Hubby is the only one. I do get "can you hear me now?" from a lot of people at work. :laugh2:

i used to get the "can you hear me now?" question all the time from family and friends which always used to remind me of that verizon commercial. :giggle:

I still have people shouting at me. It gets annoying. lol

even after 4 years of having my first ci, i *still* have people who shout at me. yesterday was a perfect example. i was at physical therapy when one of the nurses pointed out my ci's and asked me about them. when she spoke to me, she shouted in one of my ears. i smiled and politely told her that she could speak clearly at a normal volume. having said that, she was very nice, obeyed my request and both of us got into a very interesting conversation about ci's.

So far, the only comments I have had are from people that I know and most of them know about the implant. I have yet to have a stranger comment on it.

I've used P3 all week. Going back to P1 feels like going back to a HA. I don't like the noise reduction and don't need it. I've slowly learned to focus on the sounds in the room this week. I made more progress with my CI this week than I did all month at home.

Just being around people conversing all day helped. We had a staff meeting yesterday with about 80 people. I heard everything very good. When someone got up and talked with their back turned to me, I heard about 85% of what they were saying.

Here and there at work, someone will say something and I'll answer. I'll stop and say wait a minute, I didn't read your lips! I was looking the other way! lol

I was really amazed. Very good week.

Speaking of music, I am starting to enjoy it already. I still can't pick the words out as well. That's probably because I lean toward Rock/Metal.

It is the best feeling to not have to be on alert all the time for sounds.

Music - pick something you remember hearing before you hearing got worst.

look up the lyrics and read it as you listen to it. repeat over and over until the music and lyrics make sense. It takes about 10 times. Don't add new music until you get use to the old music. Now finally a year and half later, I can add music without doing this practice first. I still only handle around 3 new songs a couple of weeks. Music sounds fantastic to me now.

Back