New mapping

JKB315

Reaction score
Had the Freedom tuned up today. Got 4 programs.
P1-normal (turned up the volume adjusted low frequency)
P2- Same as above w/Background noise filter for work
P3- much louder program with same parameters as P1. Only supposed to used this sparingly until I am used to it.
P4- Same as above with the noise filter.

I am on P3 now and have been listening to all kinds of music. I can't comprehend all the words fully yet but I hear every little note/instrument. I have the sound at the lowest setting too. So I am pretty content with this. Hopefully I'll hear well at work today when I am in conversation.

sounds (no pun intended) like you're doing well, jkb! :) have you had any new ci moments lately?

Nothing major. I was sitting in the house the other day with everything off and I kept hearing this whirring noise. whirr whirr. I couldn't figure out what it was. I looked everywhere. I finally realized it was the air vents in the roof.

I also realized today that my dog makes a whine when she yawns. Never heard that one before. I am very pleased. I will hopefully make huge progress this month at work. I'll be talking to tons of people with all different tones of voice.

Nothing major. I was sitting in the house the other day with everything off and I kept hearing this whirring noise. whirr whirr. I couldn't figure out what it was. I looked everywhere. I finally realized it was the air vents in the roof.

I also realized today that my dog makes a whine when she yawns. Never heard that one before. I am very pleased. I will hopefully make huge progress this month at work. I'll be talking to tons of people with all different tones of voice.

that's great! keep those ci moments coming -- and enjoy! :)

Well done,

My dog does whine while he yawns too. I also can hear my cat mew outside with the door shut! At first i heard this Mew mew mew mew, as you can guess i HAD to look for the sound... i was so funstrated! then saw the cat via see through door i could see she was mewing... realised that's the sound i was looking for! Thats was when i was 2 weeks old activcated.

Keep up with good work.

Work was rough. I work in a room full of running injection machines. The noise was overbearing. I tried the noise reduction program and it's ok if I am not talking to anyone. It filters EVERYTHING out. With it on, I could not hear any better than I did with hearing aids. It's weird too. If I walk out of the room with the noise reduction on, it goes back to normal. If I walk back into the room, for a second it's real loud then the processor detects the noise and starts slowly drowning it out.

I talked to the other CI user who works with me on another shift. He said he just left his on the normal program and over time he got used to the noise and was able to drown it out. I hope this is the case.

I'll possibly ask at the next mapping if she can adjust the noise reduction program a little.

To be honest i had similar problem and had Auto sensitvity put in, they made tiny difference so i put up and bear with it.... in reality the hearing people do have problems with back ground noise that they had to learn to put up with it by teaching the brain to block it out.
I did learnt to do this by focusing on voices than the back ground noise it did improve over time. I also ask my work collegue what she hears for example in the dining room, it was a racket! Cultery, plates, cups, table, chairs moving, people talking, newspaper, tv, I asked her what she hears, racket and she can't lipread or even hear group conversation, i was satsified with her answer!!

I do sympathise...

I had a mapping session today and it is just 4 new P programs with increased sound for each level. No noise reduction, as audi says I need to get used to all sound before I get a program with selected sounds. She says I can use the S control to change the range of the mic in loud situations, then use the V. So far so good, only my husband keeps shouting at me as he has not adjusted to my being able to hear. :giggle:

et,

my former ci audi was the same way. she didn't add autosensitivy, ADRO or anything else until i had my implant for 6 months. i'm glad she made that decision because as she said, i needed to become used to what i was hearing with my ci before i could learn how to use these features.

It made sense to me, so I am glad she is doing this right. I would prefer the side of caution, actually, just like my surgeon waiting the full six weeks before activation.

It made sense to me, so I am glad she is doing this right. I would prefer the side of caution, actually, just like my surgeon waiting the full six weeks before activation.

i agree. there's no sense in rushing especially when there will always be time to try new features.

I have found I am starting to enjoy music again. Not the new stuff, since I don't know it, but the ones that I do know, especially in music video format. I know you can't enjoy that, but for me, I can read lips along the way if needed and I can see the instruments in some cases which is helping me separate the sounds..drum, guitar, etc. Kind of like audio books for me, I guess.
When I asked about the computerized sound I still hear, she did say that is normal with all her patients but it does change with time. I guess I am impatient and want it NOW.

I have found I am starting to enjoy music again. Not the new stuff, since I don't know it, but the ones that I do know, especially in music video format. I know you can't enjoy that, but for me, I can read lips along the way if needed and I can see the instruments in some cases which is helping me separate the sounds..drum, guitar, etc. Kind of like audio books for me, I guess.
When I asked about the computerized sound I still hear, she did say that is normal with all her patients but it does change with time. I guess I am impatient and want it NOW.

in my case, it took 6 months before music actually sounded like music. i can still remember the progression of what i heard with my ci. i started by being able to hear percussion only. then it changed to percussion and vocals. from there, i could hear percussion, vocals, keyboards and instruments being played alone or in unison.

i'm glad you're able to enjoy music, et! it's one of the nice bonuses of having a ci! :)

I know the feeling. Music was one of those that I wanted to be able to hear better NOW! :) It took a good 6 months post activation, and turning off one of the electrodes to make it sound REALLY good. Now, it's starting to sound a bit quieter, so I probably need to go back and tune it up a little.

I have ADRO+Autosensivity for Music only, but Autosensitvity for everyday. I hate the ADRO, but I must have it for the Music program. It's kinda weird though. :)

I'm glad to hear that you're doing good!!

Right now it is still just the music I know that sounds familiar or recognizable. Anything else sounds jumbled and rather unpleasant. I know that is my memory helping, but it is enough for now. Thanks Hear Again and Lady. (Nice to see you back in the forum).

Right now it is still just the music I know that sounds familiar or recognizable. Anything else sounds jumbled and rather unpleasant. I know that is my memory helping, but it is enough for now. Thanks Hear Again and Lady. (Nice to see you back in the forum).

you're welcome. :)

I've used P3 all week. Going back to P1 feels like going back to a HA. I don't like the noise reduction and don't need it. I've slowly learned to focus on the sounds in the room this week. I made more progress with my CI this week than I did all month at home.

Just being around people conversing all day helped. We had a staff meeting yesterday with about 80 people. I heard everything very good. When someone got up and talked with their back turned to me, I heard about 85% of what they were saying.

Here and there at work, someone will say something and I'll answer. I'll stop and say wait a minute, I didn't read your lips! I was looking the other way! lol

I was really amazed. Very good week.

Speaking of music, I am starting to enjoy it already. I still can't pick the words out as well. That's probably because I lean toward Rock/Metal.

I had a mapping session today and it is just 4 new P programs with increased sound for each level. No noise reduction, as audi says I need to get used to all sound before I get a program with selected sounds. She says I can use the S control to change the range of the mic in loud situations, then use the V. So far so good, only my husband keeps shouting at me as he has not adjusted to my being able to hear. :giggle:

I still have people shouting at me. It gets annoying. lol

I've used P3 all week. Going back to P1 feels like going back to a HA. I don't like the noise reduction and don't need it. I've slowly learned to focus on the sounds in the room this week. I made more progress with my CI this week than I did all month at home.

Just being around people conversing all day helped. We had a staff meeting yesterday with about 80 people. I heard everything very good. When someone got up and talked with their back turned to me, I heard about 85% of what they were saying.

Here and there at work, someone will say something and I'll answer. I'll stop and say wait a minute, I didn't read your lips! I was looking the other way! lol

I was really amazed. Very good week.

Speaking of music, I am starting to enjoy it already. I still can't pick the words out as well. That's probably because I lean toward Rock/Metal.

If it was just voices at work I would be fine. But, I work in an office 3 days a week and have the constant sound of computer servers (a full wall of them) all day, with some of them getting really loud. Then, 2 days a week I work in the receiving area of grocery. Trash compactor, pallet jacks, power lifts, lots of noise. They all tend to drown out speech.
I find myself doing the same thing, in my mind. I stop, smile and think, Wow..I heard that!!
My music is more mainstream rock and roll. Daughtry is my favorite, and has been since Idol. Good thing I know his album, and I can now make out the drums, some guitar and his vocals. They still don't sound right, but they are improving.

Back