teacher may assess what a student does when she tries to figure out the
meaning of an unknown word. Students must also do a re-telling of the
information in the test booklet using their first language, ASL,
so that the
teacher can see how much was understood. The advantages of this
assessment are that each student is tested individually and both languages,
ASL and English, are visible as the student translates English words into
conceptually accurate ASL.
In addition, the test atmosphere is very supportive as teacher and student engage in conversation around the test booklet using the student’s natural language -ASL. Most importantly, students have full access to what is being asked of them because directions and questions are given in ASL As the student reads, the teacher observes and records reading strategies that are being used or not being used. For example, the teacher may assess what a student does when she tries to figure out the
meaning of an unknown word. Students must also do a re-telling of the
information in the test booklet using their first language, ASL
, so that the
teacher can see how much was understood. The advantages of this
assessment are that each student is tested individually and both languages,
ASL and English, are visible as the student translates English words into
conceptually accurate ASL.
In addition, the test atmosphere is very supportive as teacher and student engage in conversation around the test booklet using the student’s natural language -ASL. Most importantly, students have full access to what is being asked of them because directions and questions are given in ASL. As a result, students perform at their optimum level while being tested about their second language -English. All of this information guides the teacher and the student in setting new instructional goals for strengthening and expanding the skills and knowledge necessary for advancing deeper understanding of both languages – ASL and English. As a result, students perform at their optimum level while being tested about their second language -English. All of this information guides the teacher and the student in setting new instructional goals for strengthening and expanding the skills and knowledge necessary for advancing deeper understanding of both languages – ASL and English."
This is really weird that you would post this trying to prove there isn't speech instruction.

This is talking about how English skills are taught and reinforced.

Speech and English are two entirely different things.

oh no.... not again... I've never seen a worse act of backpedaling like this... it's so.... ungraceful :ugh:

2e0r0pw.jpg

This is really weird that you would post this trying to prove there isn't speech instruction.

This is talking about how English skills are taught and reinforced.

Speech and English are two entirely different things.

I'm well aware that speech and English are two separate things.

It's actually not weird that I posted this from the link Shel provided. This is quite clear that instruction, as well as teaching English is through ASL- not spoken language. It supports exactly what I said- instruction at the school is done through ASL- not spoken English.

What is weird, is that some posters are seeming to be in support of spoken language instruction which before they had been vehemently opposed to. That is weird.

At no time did I say that no students received speech services. I said most do not, and they don't have a speech therapist on their staff. Speech therapists are provided by the home school district.

I stand by everything I say.

I encouraged the OP to connect with CSD in my first post in this thread. I'll encourage her again to connect with them. If she'd like, she can inquire about the mode of instruction and whether or not they use spoken English as a mode of communication. If she does that, and if she'd like- she can report back the information she received.

The CSD do not use spoken English as a mode of communication.

oh no.... not again... I've never seen a worse act of backpedaling like this... it's so.... ungraceful :ugh:

2e0r0pw.jpg

Did you have something useful to contribute to this thread? No back-peddling here.

Neither of the CSD offer speech services. The only way a student attending one of the schools would get speech would be through their home district by way of their IEP. My understanding is majority of the students attending do not receive speech because the student/IEP team has determined speech is not needed or wanted.

All instruction at the schools is through ASL- not spoken English.

U said " Neither of the CSD offer speech services. "

I said they do offer speech services and copied a statement from their website.

Then u changed the issue about spoken English.

Nice try to cover your false information.

Neither of the CSD offer speech services. The only way a student attending one of the schools would get speech would be through their home district by way of their IEP. My understanding is majority of the students attending do not receive speech because the student/IEP team has determined speech is not needed or wanted.

U said " Neither of the CSD offer speech services. "

I said they do offer speech services and copied a statement from their website.

Then u changed the issue about spoken English.

Nice try to cover your false information.

I'm not providing any false information, and I'm certainly not trying to cover anything up. My position has remained the same. You brought up spoken english instruction in your post #22. I clarified that instruction is through ASL- not spoken English. Read what I wrote again. There are two seperate topics being discussed.

1) Speech
2) Spoken English as a mode of instruction.

I'll restate: Neither of the CSD provide speech therapy to students. If a student has speech written in their IEP, the students home district is responsible for contracting with and providing a speech therapist. The speech therapist is not employed by the CSD.

Instruction at the CSD is in ASL... not spoken English.

Out of curiosity Shel- are you implying that you are in support of using spoken language as the mode of instruction/communication for deaf children? From everything you've written, you always seemed to be opposed to anything but ASL as the mode of communication. I'm wondering if your position has changed?

Out of curiosity Shel- are you implying that you are in support of using spoken language as the mode of instruction/communication for deaf children? From everything you've written, you always seemed to be opposed to anything but ASL as the mode of communication. I'm wondering if your position has changed?

her position has always been clear and consistent unlike you. I'm surprised that you still don't know what her position is... makes me wonder if you are involving yourself in a situation where you shouldn't be in the first place....

As I understand it, the deaf school in Fremont is voices off, right? With a moderate to moderately severe diagnosis, I'm hopeful that my son can speak english as his first language and ASL as a second language. So in that case, wouldn't I want him to mainstream? Or I read about some DHH programs at certain schools that sound promising that use auditory-oral or total communication styles.

Taken from website from CSD

Auditory and speech training are also a vital part of our program and are provided in the classroom setting and in small group pull-outs by our Communication Teacher.

At no time did I say that no students received speech services. I said most do not, and they don't have a speech therapist on their staff. Speech therapists are provided by the home school district.

Unfortunately, what you've done is thoroughly confuse the OP. Her first post about speech is saying she's hopeful her son can learn to speak English and you turn right around say that neither of the CSD offer speech services. But, in fact, they do offer just that. With "Auditory and speech training are also a vital part of our program and are provided in the classroom setting and in small group pull-outs by our Communication Teacher," as said on their website. I find it tough to believe that if CSD provides "auditory and speech training are also a vital part of our program and are provided in the classroom setting and in small group pull-outs" that no students are receiving speech services. What services are they indeed getting then during the classroom setting and in small group pull-outs?

As I understand it, the deaf school in Fremont is voices off, right? With a moderate to moderately severe diagnosis, I'm hopeful that my son can speak english as his first language and ASL as a second language. So in that case, wouldn't I want him to mainstream? Or I read about some DHH programs at certain schools that sound promising that use auditory-oral or total communication styles.

I'm not providing any false information, and I'm certainly not trying to cover anything up. My position has remained the same. You brought up spoken english instruction in your post #22. I clarified that instruction is through ASL- not spoken English. Read what I wrote again. There are two seperate topics being discussed.

1) Speech
2) Spoken English as a mode of instruction.

I'll restate: Neither of the CSD provide speech therapy to students. If a student has speech written in their IEP, the students home district is responsible for contracting with and providing a speech therapist. The speech therapist is not employed by the CSD.

Instruction at the CSD is in ASL... not spoken English.

She is asking about her son being able to learn to speak English. She is not asking whether instruction is provided in English or ASL.

My instruction at my preschool and early school years was all in ASL. Yet I had speech services (because the school provided auditory and speech training) so I learned to speak at the same time. There's no reason her son can't do the same.

Unfortunately, what you've done is thoroughly confuse the OP. Her first post about speech is saying she's hopeful her son can learn to speak English and you turn right around say that neither of the CSD offer speech services. But, in fact, they do offer just that. With "Auditory and speech training are also a vital part of our program and are provided in the classroom setting and in small group pull-outs by our Communication Teacher," as said on their website. I find it tough to believe that if CSD provides "auditory and speech training are also a vital part of our program and are provided in the classroom setting and in small group pull-outs" that no students are receiving speech services. What services are they indeed getting then during the classroom setting and in small group pull-outs?

No. I've addressed the OP's questions, and you should not presume to know what she understands or is "confused" about. The OP can likely follow and understand the posts.

If you would read the posts in their entirety then you would have known that I was addressing Shel's statement in post #22 where she said, "I'm sure they have spoken English classes."

http://www.alldeaf.com/parenting/110330-new-mama-lots-questions.html#post2162012

My instruction at my preschool and early school years was all in ASL. Yet I had speech services (because the school provided auditory and speech training) so I learned to speak at the same time. There's no reason her son can't do the same.

Did someone say her child couldn't do the same? I sure didn't read that...

Did someone say her child couldn't do the same? I sure didn't read that...

No, and it isn't what I said either. I said no reason her child cannot do the same. Offering straight-up encouragement that it can be done. Especially when auditory and speech training are indeed provided at the school.

her position has always been clear and consistent unlike you. I'm surprised that you still don't know what her position is... makes me wonder if you are involving yourself in a situation where you shouldn't be in the first place....

Spot on. (The bold.)

Shel's statement of "I am sure they probably have some spoken English classes and I ll bet they offer speech/language services. Why not contact them and ask them?" was only in response to the OP wondering if the school had any such. It certainly didn't mean Shel was endorsing or changed positions. My ...

Not gonna take a side, but I am curious as to why they used the term "Communication Teacher" does mean the teacher is not certified in Speech Therapy? Or, is the the school avoiding the term "Speech Therapist" because it is unpopular. Just curious. No point intended.

Not really sure the right way to jump back into this conversation but it seems like many of you are recommending he try to attend a deaf school. I'm curious if people have personal experiences to share about local dhh programs and mainstreaming. Maybe I'm in denial but I am hoping his first (spoken) language can be English and ASL his second. Seems like deaf school would mean ASL as his first since that's what they teach in. Obviously when he gets older and I get a better sense if what is realistic for him, I would be open to switching gears.

Not really sure the right way to jump back into this conversation but it seems like many of you are recommending he try to attend a deaf school. I'm curious if people have personal experiences to share about local dhh programs and mainstreaming. Maybe I'm in denial but I am hoping his first (spoken) language can be English and ASL his second. Seems like deaf school would mean ASL as his first since that's what they teach in. Obviously when he gets older and I get a better sense if what is realistic for him, I would be open to switching gears.

You are going to have plenty of time to see how much he can hear and how well he can acquire speech and also his receptive ability before it will be time to make a decision on where or how to educate him. :)

Oh, and I was a person with severe loss mainstreamed from sixth grade on.

I won't say I had a lot of friends, but I am fairly well educated.

Oh, and I was a person with severe loss mainstreamed from sixth grade on.

I won't say I had a lot of friends, but I am fairly well educated.

There was a deaf girl that I went to school with all the way through school. Sadly, she didn't have many friends either but she did well. I hope things are changing now these days. I think better technology,teaching methods and information will help a lot.

Back