New job

MCB

Reaction score
I have just begun working in a group home. I have not had my hearing checked for maybe five years. I am a vocational rehabilitation client. Vocational rehab here, once they buy HA's, they do nothing else. It took me a long time to get this job, and they really appreciate my behavioral management skills. They keep the TV turned down low. Talking with my boss is so difficult because he talks real quiet. That is understandable because when we talk about residents we don't want them to hear. It is taking all my lipreading skills to understand. I hike up my HA's four notches when I go to work, but it is not enough. I have a cookie bite loss.

Now, once I exit training mode, the clients talk loud enough. And I am scheduled solo Saturday. No insurance with the job-- they don't mind if I move on to case-work, given my qualifications, but that is down the road. They want caseworkers in the community who have group home experience.

I don't think my job is at risk at this point, but what are some solutions at this point-- do I just bide my time until I can get new audiogram and HA's re-tuned, or what? I got new tubes recently, and I know I need new molds, too.

Talked to boss today. He had noted my difficulties, and was worried that my HA's were doing all they could do, and was worried about me hearing alarms on overnights. :cool2: We will adapt with (off-record) written notes until I can afford a visit to audi.

Back