New here

Shane Kelly

Reaction score
Hey! I just joined the site and I'm looking to connect with other deaf and hoh people. I have been hoh my whole life, though my condition is progressive and I have found that hearing aids don't help. I have been told I have audioneuropathy, and I also have tinnitus, which makes it impossible to follow any kind of conversation. I have become really isolated because I don't know how to sign and there's not much out here for deaf community. I can't access the language learning resources where I live because they're all at college and university and hundreds to thousands of dollars depending on what level I want to achieve and I just really want to find other ways to connect with people who are learning sign, and people who are deaf and hoh. I was raised in a hearing environment my whole life and have always struggled, and lip reading doesn't help me. If anyone knows of some good resources for ASL learning please feel free to pass them along. :) Also please feel free to message me, to say hi, etc. Hoping to make some friends here. :)

Welcome!!!! I get it... There's not much support in BC for learning ASL if you're a kid. Are you on FB? I know a woman from BC who learned ASL as an adult...Let me see if she is still registered here.

Hey Shane. I'm also in Bc. I do sign ( however in PSE not ASL). I grew up Hoh, and am now what i would call nearly completely deaf. I hear only low bass sounds, and only when they are loud and really close by.
Always good to connect with others within the deaf community in Bc. I know a few, but not many. Not a lot of support in Bc for the Deaf/hoh.

Hey! I just joined the site and I'm looking to connect with other deaf and hoh people. I have been hoh my whole life, though my condition is progressive and I have found that hearing aids don't help. I have been told I have audioneuropathy, and I also have tinnitus, which makes it impossible to follow any kind of conversation. I have become really isolated because I don't know how to sign and there's not much out here for deaf community. I can't access the language learning resources where I live because they're all at college and university and hundreds to thousands of dollars depending on what level I want to achieve and I just really want to find other ways to connect with people who are learning sign, and people who are deaf and hoh. I was raised in a hearing environment my whole life and have always struggled, and lip reading doesn't help me. If anyone knows of some good resources for ASL learning please feel free to pass them along. :) Also please feel free to message me, to say hi, etc. Hoping to make some friends here. :)
hi im new lost my hearing due to seizures and looking for any help any tips

Welcome!!!! I get it... There's not much support in BC for learning ASL if you're a kid. Are you on FB? I know a woman from BC who learned ASL as an adult...Let me see if she is still registered here.

hey - yeah I'm on FB! feel free to look me up there.

Hey Shane. I'm also in Bc. I do sign ( however in PSE not ASL). I grew up Hoh, and am now what i would call nearly completely deaf. I hear only low bass sounds, and only when they are loud and really close by.
Always good to connect with others within the deaf community in Bc. I know a few, but not many. Not a lot of support in Bc for the Deaf/hoh.

hey Tyler! yeah there's a community in Vancouver we just started to connect with before we moved but there's nothing out here on the island that I can find.

Back