New Here :) Need advice

I completely understand where you are coming from, but you need to keep in mind the costs of attending those universities. If she was to attend University of Northern Colorado (UNC), the cost of attending this university would be significantly lower than if she were to attend, let's say, Gallaudet. Also, if she was to attend UNC, there's a pretty good sized community of ASL users now that the university has expanded it's program for Deaf Education and ASL studies.
I didn't like the staff in the Deaf ed program they are too audist. They really pushed the CI too. I had about 30 grad units done for my MA via their online program and had to withdraw for medical reasons. CA state universities are some of the most affordable in the nation. There is usually 200+ deaf attending at ant given time.

I once attended University of Northern Colorado and the school has an excellent reputation.

The University of Northern Colorado is also on my list :) Did you like it there? I plan to do my exchange next year so I'm still searching for good universities. Does anyone of you know someone who studied at the University of Kansas or University of Minesota? Both universities offers courses in deaf/ hard of hearing education :)

The University of Northern Colorado is also on my list :) Did you like it there? I plan to do my exchange next year so I'm still searching for good universities. Does anyone of you know someone who studied at the University of Kansas or University of Minesota? Both universities offers courses in deaf/ hard of hearing education :)

I am glad UNC is on your list even though you may or may not attend the university. I really liked it there even though I didn't major in Deaf Education. Have you ever been to Colorado, Laura?

I didn't like the staff in the Deaf ed program they are too audist. They really pushed the CI too. I had about 30 grad units done for my MA via their online program and had to withdraw for medical reasons. CA state universities are some of the most affordable in the nation. There is usually 200+ deaf attending at ant given time.

I don't understand why the staff of the Deaf Education program are being audist. I thought that Deaf Education program and Special Education program are different from each other. Deaf Education program goes for ASL teachers (Deaf schools only and Gallaudet University), ASL interpreters, notetaker, close captioned teaching programs while Special Education meant only oral method and no accommodation just like mainstream schools. You mean the Staff has a change of thinking that the deaf should go the route for CI for oral only method. No matter if a Deaf person can use CI or not can still use ASL method in the Deaf Education program, the staff should not have reject the idea of oral-only method without ASL. That does not make it right.

And yeah, most universities are worry about the cost of using the accommodations for classes in the field programs. That is what ADA is for to expect colleges to accept the accommodations for Deaf/HOH students. 200+ students, that is a lot. I am very happy to see that. :)

I don't understand why the staff of the Deaf Education program are being audist. I thought that Deaf Education program and Special Education program are different from each other. Deaf Education program goes for ASL teachers (Deaf schools only and Gallaudet University), ASL interpreters, notetaker, close captioned teaching programs while Special Education meant only oral method and no accommodation just like mainstream schools. You mean the Staff has a change of thinking that the deaf should go the route for CI for oral only method. No matter if a Deaf person can use CI or not can still use ASL method in the Deaf Education program, the staff should not have reject the idea of oral-only method without ASL. That does not make it right.

And yeah, most universities are worry about the cost of using the accommodations for classes in the field programs. That is what ADA is for to expect colleges to accept the accommodations for Deaf/HOH students. 200+ students, that is a lot. I am very happy to see that. :)

Each Deaf Education program has its own philosophy. One may focus on the Total Communication philosophy. Another may focus on the Bilingual-Bi-cultural philosophy. Yet another may focus on an only oral philosophy. That is precisely why one has to research on this before deciding which university that provides a degree in Deaf Education to attend.

Back