New HDMI-capable CC Decoder

That's probably because you have CC decoder turned on inside the TV and it's able to decode CC from external source using composite cables. That's pretty much a standard (line 21). I doubt the Samsung player is responsible for this. I looked at Samsung web site and could not find BD-C6600 and found BD-C6500 and downloaded the manual but could not find captioning information. I don't think you will find a Blu-ray player capable of transmitting CC over HDMI cable. I think Panasonic makes a DVD player capable of transmitting CC over HDMI cable.

Peter

That's probably because you have CC decoder turned on inside the TV and it's able to decode CC from external source using composite cables. That's pretty much a standard (line 21). I doubt the Samsung player is responsible for this. I looked at Samsung web site and could not find BD-C6600 and found BD-C6500 and downloaded the manual but could not find captioning information. I don't think you will find a Blu-ray player capable of transmitting CC over HDMI cable. I think Panasonic makes a DVD player capable of transmitting CC over HDMI cable.
Peter

Peter = yes, I know all that. Mr. Dragonman asked if the Bluray players that I have can decode and display the CC stream. It was something I never actually checked before, so I decided to do a test. As I expected, the one which I can easily test does not have this ability. That doesn't surprise me, since none of the many DVD players which I've worked with on another Closed Caption project were able to do this function, either.

I made the comment about Line 21 on the composite output because I wanted to point this out to him. As we have discussed before, that's how my latest HDMI CC decoder works, using the composite video as a souce of the CC data. I wanted to point it out because the Samsung player does a pretty good job of doing this, whereas the Sony player I have is very picky.

Bottom line, the Samsung player doesn't decode and display CC stream internally, but then again, none of the VCRs nor DVD players ever did this, either. Considering that, it's hard to fault the manufacturer for this, but with the inability of HDMI to carry CC data, I can see the need for this feature now. The Samsung player I have is good at passing the Line 21 signal to the composite output, something that IS noteworthy, as not all DVD players nor Bluray players do this, and do it properly.

Yes, I think I have the model number wrong. The printing is too small, and the "6" and "5" look almost identical. I couldn't get my magnifying glass back there very easily 8-)

Back