New "girl" in the family :)

Reba

Retired Terp
Premium Member
Reaction score
This afternoon I got an email from my daughter. The subject line was "Our new girl." She found a 10-week-old Aussie Red Merle puppy just in time to surprise her hubby for their anniversary. (She had been searching the rescue groups and online for a while.) He was very touched. It's been almost a year since they had to say farewell to their Aussie Sydnie Bean, and had been missing having a dog around. Beanie was a lot of comfort and support while my son-in-law was recovering from his accident.

I was surprised that they got a puppy this time but it will be an opportunity for them to grow together. :) She is one from an "oops" litter. They will be driving to Georgia this week to pick her up.

They wanted another Aussie but they are glad that she's a different color than their previous one, so she's not like a "replacement" but an individual in her own right.

They haven't picked a name yet. It will probably be something related to Australia but a human name, not a dog name.

Attachments

• newpup.jpg
    newpup.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 33
Very cute dog! And all my dogs have human names. :) They have always been just like extra children. :lol:

Thanks everyone! :ty:

Yes, we're all excited about the new family member. :D

Real cute!

What is an "oops" litter?
It's when a papered dog has an unplanned, undocumented litter that can't be sold as pedigreed pups. They often end up in shelters or sometimes even destroyed. Fortunately in this case the owners preferred to find homes for the pups instead.

Cute baby, hope he brings them many years of love and happiness.

I refer myself and hubby as grandma and grandpa with my daughters dog. I'm really going to miss him when they move to Ireland.

:Dwhat an adorable baby merle girlie!

One of my first dog trainer mentors I assisted had Aussies and small hobby flock of sheep for them to work.

:Dwhat an adorable baby merle girlie!

One of my first dog trainer mentors I assisted had Aussies and small hobby flock of sheep for them to work.
I asked my daughter, well, are you going to get some sheep, too? :lol:

Their other Aussie used to "herd" the family members.

Thank you all for the nice posts. :)

:ty:for the great pic and happy news!

I believe - my paraphrase- Dr. <Pat> McConnell <longtime, prolific dog trainer/behaviorist, lecturer/author> said that the best toy for a BC is a flock of sheep.

Certainly also applies to the other traditional herders - Aussies, heerlers etc.

Took my first Rottie herding on ducks <ducks cuz this was a "novice/try it" day> - awesome to watch her turn on. Rotties and Sammy's -Samoyeds_ are also herding breeds though they aren't usually thought of in that way.

I look forward to other pictures of the new furry one!

I asked my daughter, well, are you going to get some sheep, too? :lol:

Their other Aussie used to "herd" the family members.

I had taken Marty to a park a couple of time when there was Border Collie at the park too. When the Border Collie saw my small white dog he wanted to herd Marty. The poor BC owner is a real jerk and would made his dog lay down for half hour while he talked to someone. Why bring your dog the park if they can't walk or play .

She's home now, and her name is Piper. :)

In this picture she's looking adoringly at her new daddy.

Attachments

• aussielove.jpg
    aussielove.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 18
Pit stop on the way home. :giggle:

Attachments

• pitstop.jpg
    pitstop.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 14
Such a pretty face! :)

Attachments

• prettypup.jpg