Netflix doesn't like hearing impaired people, not the captioning part, but read on my experience recently.

Red Iron Horse

Reaction score
I was searching hard left, right, up and down for Netflix contact number that deaf/hearing impaired people can use to voice complaints about their account. I had it for my son mostly, but he has moved out and I decided I do not watch enough TV to justify keeping Netflix. So I was able to cancel the streaming part through their chat box window (live agent) and got it processed. Later, checking my bank statements finding they were still charging for DVD rentals. I went back to Netflix and told me I had to call this 800 number to cancel the rest of Netflix. Yes, Netflix is 2 separate companies under one account. Netflix did that split some time ago, but no warnings or anything to say they are separate companies with same name. I tried to get the agent at Netflix to call that number for me since I told them I'm deaf and they were not allowed to do that per their company policy. How mean is that? I repeatedly went back to that chat box thing, getting different agents and all telling me same darn thing, we can't help you cancel the DVD part is what they all say. I went looking deeper online to find a way I can contact them, no emails or textable phone number, NOTHING! So either I have to get someone else to call them or try the relay thing without a working TDD (no landline). I told the chat agents I think the ACLU won't be happy to hear about this, but not really threatening them, I held my patience. I'm still being billed by them after canceling 4 months ago. I thought I was getting smarter when I came across their Facebook messenger and left some messages I needed help with my account, nothing mean or nasty. I do have respect as I look for respect from others too, just my way. I finally grabbed my S10+ and dialed that number and requested a email address I can contact accounts dept or send me a text to my number, they can't do that, "Against company policy" to share their information! Huh? Well, next step I guess to grab a hearing buddy when he's available or brother when he not busy and make that call. In the mean time, should I try complaining to BBB? Netflix just spent 12 billions dollars on improvements, so why did they not add the chat box on DVD end. Do not waste time with phone apps since it will not cancel your account with those apps, only order stuff. modifying accounts, etc. I told those agents we deaf people pay their wages as equally as normal hearing people do. I have tried using FaceTime with some of my deaf friends and I'm just too slow to perceive what was said via ASL, need lot more practice. I'm used to lip reading, in person communicating, but terrible on the phone due to my tonal frequency loss unless I physically have known the person long enough to learn their speech. I'm going to keep pushing for answer why Netflix playing with good ears only, they are not nice to us with our disabilities. By the way, I live alone is not making things any easier, but I can do whatever I want legally, rather stay safe with the law. Stay safe out there, got my shots and I'm fascinated being vaccinated!

I don't remember seeing this at the time Red Iron Horse posted their story. But, even if too late to help with this particular instance maybe this will help with other phone contact problems. If you have a smartphone type of cell phone and can talk for yourself just not hear what the other person is saying download an app that does speech to text. My preference is InnoCaption. You have a choice of a live stenographer or automated speech recognition software I have no financial interest in this app; just am a very satisfied user. For details see https://www.innocaption.com/

Report to BBB and please do tell the bank to stop the account. I was told to go to the bank/credit union and tell them to suspend the account you have with Netflix. I had a situation with another subscription and needed to cancel as I wanted to end but they kept going so someone told me go to the bank and it works. So, best way I think. Make Netflix stuck.

Back