Nerve deafness in left ear - Q about bone conduction headphones

Huh??

Reaction score
Hello everyone.
I have maybe 10 % hearing left in my left ear, and 80% or so in my right.
I've been told it looks like I have nerve damage in my left.
I can hear certain pitches better than others in my deaf ear.
I drive a forklift with a beeper that drives me mad. It is high pitch. ( i have to wear earplugs ! )
Low pitch, like speech, is gone though.

After reading some on this forum about bone conduction headphones, I was absolutely enthusiastic, and bought a set ( Aftershokz Aeroplex ) hoping for something life changing.

I am returning them, since they did not help me to hear anything differently, and the sound quality is quite poor. ( hardly any bass at all ! )

What had me hopeful, is that in the past, I have been able to hear ( and FEEL ! ) bass in my deaf ear by getting a really tight fit with earbud style headphones.
(They were even cheap ones that were under $9. )

I would guess what was happening was bone conduction in these cases, since I had to really dig the earbud in deep and have it in just a perfect spot that seemed to be pressing against what is possibly bone ( tilted slightly upwards if i remember right )

I really had to turn the music up loud of course, but i notice that i got that FEELING of the bass only if i had just the right spot. And not just the feeling but the sound of it as well.
I have one pretty good ear, and I'm saying I could hear and feel the bass the way i can with my good ear.

The feeling is the feeling you get when you cup your hands over headphones and really press them against your ears. You can FEEL the bass.

I'd really like to know how you are using your headphones.

As a test, i placed one side of the ( Aftershokz ) headphone on my face ( the cheek bone close to the ear ) and tested the deaf ear.
I then did the good ear.
It seemed as though they are useless for hearing anything.
I even placed them INTO my ear, with no result.

As far as hearing aids, I had an old one back around 1993.
I then got one in 2013.
I just found the model : Widex Dream 330 Fusion

It was a huge let down, and i swear it seemed as though it was worse than my old one.
( shorter battery life, and no volume dial )
I was amazed that the sound quality was the same as my old one, and gave up wearing it, even after having it "tuned".
It just seemed to make noise LOUDER and not clearer.
And as far as the bass i mentioned with earbuds, I got none of that, no matter how loud the volume was on the aid.
I really hope technogy improves with hearing aids.

Thanks for any advice !

- S.B.

Earbuds do not seem to do enough bass for me.

In order to get bass where I am best at, I need huge magnets. The headphones I use drive a pair of 50mms. I cannot get high pitch anyway which is migraine inducing.

If you had a DJ somewhere near you and visited same with a 5 foot speaker cube on the dance floor you are going to be flooded in bass in the body and mind. For as long he or she would care to throw music your way.

You tube has a small group of songs reprocessed with deeper bass. Its the same songs but the bass is processed to be very low and powerful. That might be the ticket for you.

Back