Needing to meet someone.

MelissaFred11

Reaction score
Hey,
My name is Melissa and I have recently started an ASL 1 class online. I've enjoyed learning Sign Language, and my class is coming to an end. However one of the requirements for the class is to interact with one Deaf person. Is there a Deaf individual who would like to have a video chat with me? Preferably before this Friday. I would love to get to know you for a little bit! Please respond to me and we can set up a time to chat for a few minutes.
I'll look forward to meeting you!

No duplicate threads please.

Thanks.

I'm sorry. I'm new to this app and wasn't sure which thread to post it on, so I just put it on both. I am looking for someone Deaf to video chat with for one conversation. Are you or someone you know able to help me?

Yes she did, but there was never any I could make. It was a 9 week course, so the window of time open wasn't as long as a normal course. She said it would be perfectly fine to do a Deaf interaction over video chat. Can you help me?

Sorry I'm not available. I'm the mom of 2 almost teen kids. As of right now my girl is doing homework. I'm here for my own time. Maybe you can try to go to one of those events as soon as you can

The class ends Sunday. There isn't any events between now and then.

Then why did you wait till the last minute to try and find someone to help you ? You can't expect people to drop what they're doing to help you and I do not know ASL. Did you try other deaf forums I found a few on line .

Then why did you wait till the last minute to try and find someone to help you ? You can't expect people to drop what they're doing to help you and I do not know ASL. Did you try other deaf forums I found a few on line .

Could always do what that South African 'Interpreter' did and just flail your arms wildly in a poor attempt to pretend you can sign.. :giggle:

Your best bet is to try to go into the http://www.alldeaf.com/sign-language-oralism/75678-students-looking-asl-buddies.html thread. The issue you are experiencing here... is that we get tons and tons of students just like you... every single day, week, month and year that come to this website who want to befriend us to assist them with their homework assignments. "Oh, I need help with an assignment, fill out this survey!" "Oh, I want to make deaf friends!" ( Yes, we love to make friends with people simply because we're Deaf by the way... thanks for asking personal things about us and taking an interest in us as individuals... oh wait, we're all just Deaf and must just be the same. ) "Oh, I love Deaf culture but need help with this assignment. ( posts 3 times gets what they want never returns ) Every single day, we get tons of students that come looking for assistance with their homework just like you... You're not the first and definitely won't be the last. That is why you're receiving the responses you are. Try to seek out the answers you're looking for in the link I provided for you or interactions in that area. It's highly unlikely you'll find an interaction from one of us since this is such a regular occurrence here. If you had a ton of people writing you every day asking to be friends with you simply because you had red hair and nothing else, just to help their homework, wouldn't it get profoundly annoying after so many? Yes, yes it would. You can find many of your answers by reading through threads. I'm sorry if you feel the reactions are not to your liking, but this is a very tedious and annoying thing that happens to us on a regular basis. Please feel free to read through and find your answers in the forum. Good luck to you. Next time, I suggest you not put off your projects. You can always make time for school and projects if they're required if you were able to do everything else but attend one Deaf event.

I'm sorry that I have waited till last minute. Believe me, that is not something I normally do. I've been so caught up in my other classes at Faulkner University, Jamboree, finals, and my brother's graduation trip, that I haven't had a chance to do my Deaf interaction sooner. My teacher directed me to this site, so it is the only place I knew to go. I'm sure y'all get a ton of students asking for the same thing over and over again and I hate to just be one more to that pot. Thank you so much for directing me to the other chat. I will see if I can get a better response there.

How long have you been working on the assignment?

Just to understand something -- we have a bunch of young people wanting to learn ASL and those taking ASL classes coming here. Many of us have a family and jobs that limits our time in this forum. Local deaf social or deaf church could be a start that they can help with the assignments.

Good luck. :)

The assignment is due by Friday, but the last day to turn assignments in is this Sunday. I understand that not everyone is free and that everyone has their own schedules. And that is perfectly fine. I'm just looking for someone who is available to do one short video chat. I do not have any local Deaf churches near me, so a video chat would be the easiest thing I know to do. If you know any better websites to find someone, please direct me. This is the only link my teacher sent to chat with other Deaf members.

Hey, would ASL students feel comfortable at drag strips? I'm sure there are some ASL students who have vehicle(s) with turbocharged engine. Maybe they would drag race with deaf people and get to know them?

The class ends Sunday. There isn't any events between now and then.
If 9 weeks wasn't enough time for you to interact with a deaf person, how do you expect anyone here to have enough time to interact with you by Sunday? That's even a less reasonable window.

Hi Josh, I'm doing good! I feel bad about waiting till the last minute about doing my assignment, and I know that frustrates everyone. I do apologize. I see that you're new here too! Would you care to set up a time to video chat either today or tomorrow? I would like to get to know you a little bit!

Back