Need to STOP Cochlear Implant on Deaf babies

Communication modes for children with cochlear implant - NOKC

Report from NOKC nr 15 - 2011 - Systematic review Communication modes for children with cochlear implant

Approximately 90 to 95 % of deaf children in Norway are offered a cochlear implant (CI) in one or both ears. CI is an advanced hearing aid aimed to recognize sounds. Parents of children with CI have to choose preferred communication mode for their child. In Norway there are mainly three approaches: use of both spoken language and sign language (bilingual communication), spoken language with sign support and spoken language alone (oral communication).

The objective of this systematic review was to summarize recent studies comparing the effect of using spoken language and sign language, spoken language with sign support or spoken language alone. We have also looked at studies on total communication, a communication mode used in the U.S., consisting of different elements of spoken language, sign support or sign language. We included studies where children had CI implanted before the age of three and we tried to answer the following question: How does the chosen communication mode affect the children's sound and speech recognition, their speech and language perception and production, their quality of life, social participation and any other outcome?

It is uncertain what effect using spoken language and sign language, spoken language with sign support or spoken language alone have on children who have been implanted with CI by the age of three. The quality of the documentation is very low. We found four studies that compared total communication with spoken language alone. The quality of the documentation was very low and the results had limited external validity. We found no studies on children who used both spoken language and sign language and no studies that measured the children’s quality of life or social participation.

"Offered a cochlear implant" does not mean "forced to receive and implant".

It says 90-95% are offered, it doesn't say required. The only thing that article mentions that is required is once they are implanted choosing a preferred method of communication.

I've only known, personally, 3 people with implants. That's it. A 2 year old girl that lived across the hall, someone came to their apartment at least once week to teach the family ASL. A mid 20's guy that was in my massage class, he knew ASL and had an interpreter, he ended up working at the same spa I did and could communicate better with people that I could. He'd tell me everyday I need to get one. Then there was an older guy, this was awhile ago, early 90's. He was a member of my families church. I don't think he knew ASL, I think he was late deafened, no accent, I never saw him use ASL with his family. You'd never know he had any hearing issues. Obviously 3 is not many, but 2 out 3 having ASL isn't bad stats. :)

I know its offered.... I posted to show its not forced.... sorry I didn't clarify

Your expecting Deaf children in school to be able to express themselves or have reading comprehension in english a language they do not speak nor hear, nor use as a first language, at the same level of comprehension with children who speak english as a first language and also can hear English?
O I C

Yeah. I'm expecting educators not to be satisfied when Deaf high school graduates can read "To Kill a Mockingbird". Why should there be a bar that is different from hearing children?
Why should it be surprising when ANY high school student reads Dostoyevsky? Access to these great works of literature and great ideas shouldn't be restricted to hearing children because it would be "hard" for Deaf children to comprehend it?
Arguing that ASL makes it hard to understand complex concepts is demeaning to ASL.
The whole point of bibi education is to have equal emphasis on signed language and written English.
Deaf children are just as bright as hearing children and they are probably more observant and tuned in to their environments. Why should the Deaf community settle for "OK" if so much more can be achieved?

Yeah. I'm expecting educators not to be satisfied when Deaf high school graduates can read "To Kill a Mockingbird". Why should there be a bar that is different from hearing children?
Why should it be surprising when ANY high school student reads Dostoyevsky? Access to these great works of literature and great ideas shouldn't be restricted to hearing children because it would be "hard" for Deaf children to comprehend it?
Arguing that ASL makes it hard to understand complex concepts is demeaning to ASL.
The whole point of bibi education is to have equal emphasis on signed language and written English.
Deaf children are just as bright as hearing children and they are probably more observant and tuned in to their environments. Why should the Deaf community settle for "OK" if so much more can be achieved?

Deaf children from Deaf families or with families who use ASL at home are more likely master English than those whose families do not use sign. Then there is the issue of deaf children not having access to language until they are older when oralism fails or their CIs fail.

why doubt Shel who is both a very experienced teacher working with d/Deaf kids, and also she is Deaf?

refusing to believe those who have lived it= audism

Deaf children from Deaf families or with families who use ASL at home are more likely master English than those whose families do not use sign. Then there is the issue of deaf children not having access to language until they are older when oralism fails or their CIs fail.

TRUE. I learned so much from my several Deaf friends who have Deaf family.

In all my years of education(though college), I think I only took more time for a test once(if that). Still, I need to point out here why things may need to be different.

If a deaf child takes longer to pronounce words being learned than that of a hearing child, the deaf child needs more time to learn. If we can agree upon that point, it is easier to understand why a standard might be different. Educators do not have unlimited time to teach. Because of this, educators need to make a choice, teach something different or move the non-comprehending student also without the skills needed.

What choice would you make? In most cases, the solution is to keep the student back a year. This does help, but it doesn't account for all the other years in which the student has issues comprehending the subject matter.

Dumping it on higher education is an even bigger disaster, in my opinion.

right.............. like there is no such thing as coercion in the world regarding decision making.

its either forced
or not
no in between.

you really believe that?

take a closer look...free will is socially conditioned. the entire premise of the ideology that has created CI is founded on that. if they believed free choice wasn't conditioned then they wouldn't of bothered creating CI to begin with. they never did it for us DEAF to listen to chipmunks. it has to do with integration and normalization. intricate into what? normalize which pathology? is choice related to communication? have you even bothered to think about it before you post your audist nonsense?
the Tell me...... which choices do you think you actually make completely free without any influence or coercion?
now add parents, a baby, multi million dollar companies, government.......and you tell me all involved have absolutely no agenda what so ever to influence or coerce these parents which are "offered"" a product
if your going to be a doctor you better start to use more critical reasoning when it comes to your ideas

Last edited:

which language did you read Dostoevsky in? Where did i argue ASL makes it hard to understand complex concepts? if your going to claim something back it up.
where did i argue we DEAF should settle for ok?
would you like to make one comment on anything i did argue and say? or are you going to continue to make shit up? your are demonstrating some very poor English reading comprehension.

Last edited:
Communication modes for children with cochlear implant - NOKC

Report from NOKC nr 15 - 2011 - Systematic review Communication modes for children with cochlear implant

Approximately 90 to 95 % of deaf children in Norway are offered a cochlear implant (CI) in one or both ears. CI is an advanced hearing aid aimed to recognize sounds. Parents of children with CI have to choose preferred communication mode for their child. In Norway there are mainly three approaches: use of both spoken language and sign language (bilingual communication), spoken language with sign support and spoken language alone (oral communication).

The objective of this systematic review was to summarize recent studies comparing the effect of using spoken language and sign language, spoken language with sign support or spoken language alone. We have also looked at studies on total communication, a communication mode used in the U.S., consisting of different elements of spoken language, sign support or sign language. We included studies where children had CI implanted before the age of three and we tried to answer the following question: How does the chosen communication mode affect the children's sound and speech recognition, their speech and language perception and production, their quality of life, social participation and any other outcome?

It is uncertain what effect using spoken language and sign language, spoken language with sign support or spoken language alone have on children who have been implanted with CI by the age of three. The quality of the documentation is very low. We found four studies that compared total communication with spoken language alone. The quality of the documentation was very low and the results had limited external validity. We found no studies on children who used both spoken language and sign language and no studies that measured the children’s quality of life or social participation.

and this from the 3 page summary of this report. and its findings

From the conclusion of the 3 page summary of the study in Norway posted

Conclusion

The included studies did not provide enough evidence to conclude how the use of total communication or spoken language alone (oral communication) affects children’s speech- or language development. We did not identify any studies on children who used spoken language and sign language (bilingual communication). Nor did we find studies that measured the children's quality of life or their social participation. The quality of the documentation was very low, and the results may have limited external validity.

On the basis of the identified studies we have no scientific evidence of the relative effectiveness of the different communication modes. There is a need for methodologically well-designed observational studies which study the development in children with CI over time, and which include information about the children’s linguistic, educational and social context.

how does No scientific evidence as bolded above in the conclusion to the summary translate to "It is uncertain what effect" in the brief paragraph posted?

which is it?

ye the NO SCIENTIFIC EVIDENCE statement is buried at the conclusion in the 3 page summary not on the first page along with the it is uncertain/

fascinating

now i have a question which is the most common communication method pushed on those families who receive CI for their children?

Last edited:

You're assuming its still 1966 and that poor/low expectations at Deaf Schools are a REALLY big barrier to sucess. Many dhh kids face low expectations in the mainstream as well....ie being put in remedial/low level English.....Did you know that the person who runs CIOnline (who is herself a result of auditory verbal which claims to produce very high results) was in REMEDIAL ENGLISH?
Many mainstreamed/oral dhh kids are placed in lower level/special ed placements....So the problem is the same. Actually, isn't there a stat out there that says that a HUGE percentage of college goers (who BTW are HEARING) are in remedial English/classes in their first year in college

The have remedial English classes in college? Why does that sound so freaking bizarre?

The have remedial English classes in college? Why does that sound so freaking bizarre?

Dunno..........but we do live in a world where Danielle Steele and Harliquin romances and WWF is on the bestseller list.............People can be REALLY brainless/refuse to use their intellect.

Yes, there are many deaf people with CI use ASL in US.

I know some people who received CI at baby still have struggle with oral language so have to use ASL.

The most of hearing parents choice AVT over speech therapy, SEE, speech cued, ASL/BiBi. Some Parents Deaf babies's CI surgeons is under political of AGBell. They contact AGBell after heard from audiologist showed the hearing test failed. That where is AV's spreading the world on Facebook page fan, groups, social networking. That I saw everyone's writing comments. Shaking my head. It sound like power forced.

I had met CI kids. They know sign languages and oral communicate. My son's friend is deaf and know sign language. He took his CI age 3. His parent know sign language too. They are my friends. I respect their decide for son to have CI.

I have a Deaf friend from my hometown resident. Her grandson has a CI age 9 months old and now he is 12 years old. He know ASL through his Deaf family. His speech is pretty good to me. I know many deaf kids have CI and have a BiBi programs at mainstream.

One of my third cousin has bilateral CIs. His mom is my bitch cousin! She is not allowed him to learn sign language. She listened to Audist doctor. She isn't listen to me, my mom, my hubby, cousins offered her to learn sign language for her son. He have no father. He is true Audism. He don't understand my sign. He think it's funny when I used sign to my hubby. That is Audism attitude. :roll:

oh. they make it seems or sounds as Not forced, it is coerced , sly and cunning.....so to me, it is 'forced' by a 'blue-printed' /managed way to extract permission from unwary or uncertain parents then a short cut is made for a way to carry out assimilation.....

oh. they make it seems or sounds as Not forced, it is coerced , sly and cunning.....so to me, it is 'forced' by a 'blue-printed' /managed way to extract permission from unwary or uncertain parents then a short cut is made for a way to carry out assimilation.....

Or by implying to the parents that their child won't have a good life without a CI. That makes me sick.

Back