Need some advice

Don't make a big deal about education...no one else I know does.
I would agree with that.
I have a lot of mates that found the jobs in SQA field after the high school(and SQA courses), and nobody was interested in their education. Most of them even didn't had computer related background, they changed career just right after the courses.
And they are hearing.

not true. This may depend upon state though. Both times I have had my hearing aids paid for in full (of course I get no say in what KIND but seems the kind I do have work for my needs) and I was out of work both times.
I got MediCal/Medicare insurance several month ago. Today I went to the clinic and set up appointment for the primary care doctor, and ask him to give me referral to the audiologist.

I've read that MediCal covers up to $1500 for hearing aids, so I'm going to try to ask for them...my left hearing aid just broken week ago, it is frustrating me. Though my hearing aid are not powerful enough for my hearing loss, they help me at least to hear noises around, without it I'm in complete silence. Without one HA I still can hear noises, but less good as with both.

I just recalled that there is the Federal text service as well: https://www.federalip.us/. It can be used when calling to federal agencies only, but it can be quite useful when dealing with federal agencies (like IRS, SSA, etc.).

I think that the text relay service is the best option in your case, even though it can be slow. I myself used it in the past when looking for a job (now I prefer the video relay service).
Thank you very much for opening my eyes on text relay services!

I tried to send you private message, and couldn't :)
Monarhistka has chosen not to receive private messages or may not be allowed to receive private messages. Therefore you may not send your message to him/her.

Ri - keep fine tuning your skills - education really doesn't matter, regardless of the field, unless you're in medicine or practicing law. People jump into IT fields all the time from jobs totally unrelated - just as kitchen workers and cooks from local restaurants make the same money as those that went to cooking schools. It's more what you know rather than where you learned it. All employers are interested in are your skills and your ability to work with others - and what financial expectations you have. Your first step though should be going to the Vocational office near you and try and get set up with a counselor. Good luck!

No, My buddy is hearing but has extensive schooling in the IT fields plus he took it in the Military and specialized in it. He also been in the field for 20 years so the experience he has also helped with his pay scale... but in General, he posted a resume targeting the field of IT tech and a Company called him and hired him ( The work was in Germany, so he moved his entire family there and they just recently moved back after 7 years, the job has relocated back here now. They are doing really well.
If I knew IT I would work with him, but I have no interest in it.

Ri Sol- Welcome to the forum. I am also an IT QA Tester (mainframe/manual mostly) and also feel the pain of problems finding a job and interviews. I totally understand the whole send an email "I prefer email or in person" only to get a email back saying "give me a call"/"please call"... argh. I'm also in the same boat- have been out of work for about 22 months now (not the first time either).

I used to be able to do fairly well with voice phone- pretty good hearing with hearing and good speech but the hearing bit or at least the speech discrimination part has gone downhill. I've started using VRS since i know ASL. Some success with that but not a whole lot (yet).

Because most of my jobs are contract based (which mostly are shorter- last one lasted 5 years though), it's harder to find a permanent job. Best I can say is keep at it. I don't have a Computer Science/Engineering/whatever degree or certification but I still have had good luck with good jobs.

Feel free to PM me or post back here if you have any questions. Best of luck to you.

I also noticed you are in the silicon valley area- that's one of the toughest locations to find any kind of job in IT.
Wow! I just only noticed that you edited your post, and added more info!
I'm certainly going to PM you as soon as I digest all this new information I gained after opening this thread!

You guys made my day! Thank you all!
I'm so touched by your attention to my problem!

I am also an IT QA Tester (mainframe/manual mostly) and also feel the pain of problems finding a job and interviews. I totally understand the whole send an email "I prefer email or in person" only to get a email back saying "give me a call"/"please call"... argh.
Absolutely the same! This is really discouraging me.

I also noticed you are in the silicon valley area- that's one of the toughest locations to find any kind of job in IT.
I think silicon valley area is really good location to find a job, more vacancies, a lot of migrants, so most people(and companies) tolerate imperfect English.

Anyway, I can't compare, since I never tried to find a job in different states.

Now rules have changed and they will only pay for them if you "Are" working. If youre out of work, un-employed...ect... they wont even look at you...been there/done that recently.

yeah, and I think this is totally :roll:

Thank you very much for opening my eyes on text relay services!

I tried to send you private message, and couldn't :)

Probably because he has 5 or less posts. Once a poster goes past 5 posts, the PM system will unlock for them.

It may not be helpful to you. My method was to work for myself, and I did pet sitting until my health forced me to retire. So I was more successful with my own business than working for someone else.

I do pet sitting just done 10days......Word of mouth

Now rules have changed and they will only pay for them if you "Are" working. If youre out of work, un-employed...ect... they wont even look at you...been there/done that recently.

So if you're poor, unemployed and looking for a job, they won't help you but if you're working and able to afford them, they'll pay them for ya. They got this backwards. :crazy:

It is essential in getting the hearing aids before landing a job so that they are helpful to you during interviews and the training period.

That is true. Please feel free to send me PM since now I have 6 posts. :P
Thanks for opening the WHOLE NEW WORLD of opportunities! I'm using text relay services and they are AWESOME!!!!!!

Now I don't have problems with phone calls, though I didn't try to use it for job interviews yet.

Hello everyone!
I think I'm about to make some updates. Everything is going great for me now.
No more unemployed, I got a dream job at the dream company.
For the interview we used Google Hangouts with the chat feature. 5 thorough technical interviews, thorough background check, and I'm in :)

Last edited:
Congrats! It appears that it has been a long struggle for you. If I may ask, if you speak Russian, but don't consider yourself Russian, what is your ethnicity? Baltic? Ukrainian? Just curious!

It seems that you've come a long ways and learning a new language is never easy, it's much more difficult to do with a bad hearing loss, so you should be proud of that.

Congrats! It appears that it has been a long struggle for you. If I may ask, if you speak Russian, but don't consider yourself Russian, what is your ethnicity? Baltic? Ukrainian? Just curious!
It seems that you've come a long ways and learning a new language is never easy, it's much more difficult to do with a bad hearing loss, so you should be proud of that.
Thank you!
I'm Kazakh.

Congratulations! Are your signs adequate to use Sorenson Video Relay Service? You should look into it.

Congratulations! Are your signs adequate to use Sorenson Video Relay Service? You should look into it.
Hi, thank you!
No, my signs are not yet adequate. Although some Deaf folks showed me how they use Video Relay services.
So far, I'm okay with Text Relay, because it works pretty fine for me. I type fast, and so the operator, the conversation flow is almost always goes uninterrupted.
Of course, except the moments when the call receivers think that another telemarketer is calling, and hung up my call :)

I started to utilize Glide to sign/exchange information with some Deaf people. Another great opportunity to practice signs, instead of waiting for the next Deaf social.

If you are a legal resident, look for the closest office of vocational rehabilitation and they can assist you.

It may not be helpful to you. My method was to work for myself, and I did pet sitting until my health forced me to retire. So I was more successful with my own business than working for someone else.
Rest in peace, Bottesini...
So sad to learn, that somebody who was helping me here, has passed away. :(

Back