Need help with youtube captions for hw

zeefour

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am trying to watch required videos on YouTube for one of my classes. The problem is I can't for the life of me get the captions to wok. Even with my hearing aids all the way up I'm having a really hard time understanding the videos. I know there's a caption option I remember my friends excited when that came out.

Could someone help this technologically inept girl out so I don' get behind in my classes.

Thanks!

Hello!

Can you provide a link to that YouTube and I can take a look to see if I can find the caption for it, or at least try to get another link to attach to it?

These are the two clips for this week's homework. There's more in the future. I asked her about this in class and she said she didn't know. She said only school provided videos are for sure captioned. Grrr >.>

Did you use MSU's Access Center-Disability Support Center for supporting your academic success? I just take a couple of looks at the other Dr. Phil vids on YouTube, and they are not captioned either.

It's MSU's responsibility to provide equal access to all students and don't listen to your professor at all. She clearly doesn't know what she's talking about. Go to DSC office at Plaza Building suite 124 to demand your equal rights as a student. They will ensure you do!

Right now the issue is that I am not an owner of this video (Dr. Phil is), and cannot download it and then to upload my video files, so I can add captions to it. Right now it's a copyright issue which blocks me from attaching captions to these vids.

There are some captioning services that might be able to provide captions for them that the school special serviced department (or whoever handles disability accessibility issues). But like the above person said...there's the copyright deal...

Surprised no auto captions...

Even on Dr Phi's site the older archived shows aren't captioned...
There's sort of a description with the video but not word for word unfortunately.
https://www.drphil.com/shows/2318/

Can't find the Robin McGraw one.

Here's how I at least found the first one (Went by the date it was posted on YouTube) https://www.drphil.com/show-archive/

@zeefour do you still need those ?
If you get them in advance and I have some time, can always try to transcribe for you and I'm convinced some other "Hearies" Around here would also be willing to chip in with that ;)

Did you use MSU's Access Center-Disability Support Center for supporting your academic success? I just take a couple of looks at the other Dr. Phil vids on YouTube, and they are not captioned either.

It's MSU's responsibility to provide equal access to all students and don't listen to your professor at all. She clearly doesn't know what she's talking about. Go to DSC office at Plaza Building suite 124 to demand your equal rights as a student. They will ensure you do!

Right now the issue is that I am not an owner of this video (Dr. Phil is), and cannot download it and then to upload my video files, so I can add captions to it. Right now it's a copyright issue which blocks me from attaching captions to these vids.

Yeah I actually have an appointment with my Access Center coordinator next week. I will ask her then. My professor said things the university posts on Blackboard have captioning options if I have that ability through the Access Center but not YouTube. I'm confused because these are YouTube posts on Blackboard. My hearing aids for some reason work better in person than they do with recorded stuff. I'll ask my Access Center counselor next week.

@zeefour do you still need those ?
If you get them in advance and I have some time, can always try to transcribe for you and I'm convinced some other "Hearies" Around here would also be willing to chip in with that ;)

Awwww thank you so much that's too sweet! For little things that would help but I know we also have longer movies to watch, and I couldn't ask you guys to do that. Still I really appreciate the offer. I'm meeting with my Access Center counselor first thing next week, so hopefully she helps me figure it out. My hearing aids and BAHA work better in person than they do with recorded sound so I think this trips up my professors.

Thanks again everyone for your help!! I had a meeting with my Access Center counselor last week and she's given me a letter to give to all my professors specifically about any movies, YouTube clips, etc. that they show or require us to watch for class, must be submitted to the Access Center in advance so they can make sure they're properly captioned. Hooray!!

Back