Need help with SSI!!!! important!

I had a VR, medicaid and SSI when I was in college. it helped a lot. I kept communicating with VR, and SS office a lot. I did know that I was overpaid because i wanted to work during my college years. i did not care about being overpaid, back in my time. They did deduct my SSI every month anyway.

Relax, don't be panic. KEEP YOUR EVIDENCE/PROOF with you all the time! SSA will have to contact with IRS but they dont want to. SO they will need the evidences what you have. Then it will be all done.

ASK THEM why you are overpaid, to show you where did it comes from. If they make mistakes, and ask them for the mistake document.

coolgirlspyer90
SSI is a federal program. VR a state program. Big differences.
If VR required you to have SSI in order to get VR, well that's not true.

coolgirlspyer90
SSI is a federal program. VR a state program. Big differences.
If VR required you to have SSI in order to get VR, well that's not true.

:hmm: this statement is false for Illinois IDK about other states. It is true. Doesn't matter what state VR decide what rules are they still decide how federal dollars are spent. Illinois VR has SSI rule.

VR does require students to be on SSI in state of Illinois. I was a student once upon a time and the rule was in order to receive some VR benefit I had to enroll in SSI in order to get support from VR for classes. :wave:

If I refused SSI, VR refuse to help me. SPydergirl is correct about SSI and VR.

For losing sleep and stressing yourself out, just relax and you have a strong evidence with your bank statements it'll work out.

Just put up with SSI BS for few more year until you're done with school and keep all documentation and bank statements, in no time you're gonna be done with school.

:jaw:

Wait! Did they said about options other than SSI? I find it hard to believe, because the sole reason for SSI is evidence of disability, that is all. If no SSI, have part time job, I am sure doctor could verify disability.

I find it as if government is telling these people it is ok to depend on taxpayers money.

It definitely must be state by state with the VR & SSI rule. The first time I got VR support (Pennsylvania) for college- my counselor did suggest applying for SSI (I was denied) but it was not required- still got VR support for the next 4 years (none for freshman year as I knew nothing of VR support). With NC VR they don't require SSI either in order to get support (for hearing aids here).

Last edited:
:jaw:

Wait! Did they said about options other than SSI? I find it hard to believe, because the sole reason for SSI is evidence of disability, that is all. If no SSI, have part time job, I am sure doctor could verify disability.

I find it ------- as if government is telling these people it is ok to depend on taxpayers money.

you're missing a word in there. "I find it ???" - offensive? disgusting? generous?

It definitely must be state by state with the VR & SSI rule. The first time I got VR support for college- my counselor did suggest applying for SSI (I was denied) but it was not required- still got VR support for the next 4 years (none for freshman year as I knew nothing of VR support). With NC VR they don't require SSI either in order to get support (for hearing aids here).
Seems to be the same for Delaware. My daughter went to VR for help paying for hearing aids and ended up with getting her tuition paid also. She does not get SSI.

First off, when you found out you needed to keep resources under 2k, you really should have gotten rid of it. I will not tell you how or what to do with it. Ssa do not like it when you flirt with limits. If you worked close to twp , not sga, they could very well ask you what's up. After all ssi,ssdi is a benefit, not entitlement. Vr looks at it like a entitlement which is a sad thing. Second, if you want to get married, then go ahead. Don't put it off over ssi rules. Trust me, if you worked for l ing time, then you're ssdi benefit will be much higher then you are getting now. It's based on work history and full time work really helps for you to pay into the system. It's time to do a complete document with ssi offices visit and letters . Names, times, date will help you in appeal case.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using AllDeaf App mobile app

Unethical for VR counselors to tell a deaf person to get SSI in order to get VR. Both system are different and different things.

There are cases studies in the Mental and Physically Law Reporter (an ABA publication) about VR counselors and their abuses.

:hmm: this statement is false for Illinois IDK about other states. It is true. Doesn't matter what state VR decide what rules are they still decide how federal dollars are spent. Illinois VR has SSI rule.

VR does require students to be on SSI in state of Illinois. I was a student once upon a time and the rule was in order to receive some VR benefit I had to enroll in SSI in order to get support from VR for classes. :wave:

If I refused SSI, VR refuse to help me. SPydergirl is correct about SSI and VR.

For losing sleep and stressing yourself out, just relax and you have a strong evidence with your bank statements it'll work out.

Just put up with SSI BS for few more year until you're done with school and keep all documentation and bank statements, in no time you're gonna be done with school.

Weird. I just found out earlier in November (it's Dec 1st now, lol) that I can save an unlimited amount of SSI money (like $20,000 or something) in my bank account. I graduated from college in 2011 and tried with VR and recruiters to find jobs with no luck (economy is really crappy nowadays) during the first half of 2012. Plus, SSA actually OWED me money - they didn't explain why though. :D

Unethical for VR counselors to tell a deaf person to get SSI in order to get VR. Both system are different and different things.

There are cases studies in the Mental and Physically Law Reporter (an ABA publication) about VR counselors and their abuses.

States get federal dollars. You can say it's separate all day long but at the end of the day who gets to close shop? It can be unethical but it's legal. I've looked into it at the time, my counselor was still legal and can say no we can't serve you because it's case by case basis and SSI I got paid for room and board the VR paid for the schooling, still legal ways around it. It's still a business the states objectivity is to save money as much possible.

Bottom line it is legal. Sucks but it's a cutthroat business, and my company's very unethical everyday I suffer a lot setbacks because they're getting away with it because it's still legal.

I Have SSDI Im getting $1300 a month i need more. Like $1600 a month

Its easier to work part time and bring home 700 extra bucks a month instead of 300 you wished for. your work history can even increase your monthly... even by a few bucks - its better then nothing.

I Have SSDI Im getting $1300 a month i need more. Like $1600 a month
You get $1,300 from SSDI because you didn't work long enough to get $1,600. Call SSA to find out about the maximum income per month that you can earn from a part-time job. If you don't want a part-time job, that's your problem.

My ex-brother-in-law did that ($1,000 SSDI and $1,000 from part-time job = $2,000 per month [max under his state]) but he was not satisfied because it was not enough for him so he decided to have two part-time jobs that pay him over $2,000 per month total, therefore he stopped receiving SSDI.

You get $1,300 from SSDI because you didn't work long enough to get $1,600. Call SSA to find out about the maximum income per month that you can earn from a part-time job. If you don't want a part-time job, that's your problem.

My ex-brother-in-law did that ($1,000 SSDI and $1,000 from part-time job = $2,000 per month [max under his state]) but he was not satisfied because it was not enough for him so he decided to have two part-time jobs that pay him over $2,000 per month total, therefore he stopped receiving SSDI.

careful. your brother in law used up his 9 month twp thinking its ok to be under 1000 a month for sga. there is a big difference. after he used up twp and decided to earn over 1000 thats why his ssdi stopped.
I think its important that everyone on ssdi understands the twp's and sga's. If you havent used up your twp's then you technically can earn over 1000 a month for 9 months the sga amount and before the 9 month is up , switch down to be under sga amount and still keep both. ssa can be suspious of this but to each thier own.

careful. your brother in law used up his 9 month twp thinking its ok to be under 1000 a month for sga. there is a big difference. after he used up twp and decided to earn over 1000 thats why his ssdi stopped.
I think its important that everyone on ssdi understands the twp's and sga's. If you havent used up your twp's then you technically can earn over 1000 a month for 9 months the sga amount and before the 9 month is up , switch down to be under sga amount and still keep both. ssa can be suspious of this but to each thier own.

Yes thats correct about 9 months. TWP aka Trail Work Period (if makes over $770.)

No, I mean he didn't want SSDI no more so he contacted SSA to stop sending him SSDI because he wanted to make more money than the max he was allowed.

oh ok - that makes sense crazypaul .. It works if you can get a job/s that pays enough. I know, I been there several times.

Back