Need help with SSI!!!! important!

coolgirlspyer90

Reaction score
Hello all,

Sorry i haven't been on AllDeaf for awhile, I'm getting close to graduating for my Associate's degree and i've been traveling and keeping busy!

but I am in a situation with SSI and I need your help to help me understand and figure out what to do. So, Let me start from the beginning.

I applied to SSI in fall of 2012, my first year going to college. I was receiving a few checks from SSI while they were deciding if i was eligible for it or not. I applied i believe in early September. So then between late November to early December, i was denied SSI because they believed that I was not deaf enough even though I sent them proof i am deaf by showing them my audiogram. But to them it wasn't enough. My dad is a representative for me on my SSI so both of us appealed against that idea from what SSI was saying. So, from december all the way to early April, I was not getting payed from SSI because we were appealing them. But then they decided I was eligible for it. So in early july, from the time that SSI did not pay me (December-April) They paid me the money for the time they did not pay me (about $2000.) and half of that money was used towards paying my tuition for school for the upcoming fall semester for 2013. So from there on out until last wednesday everything was fine. I obeyed their rules from keeping my accounts below $2000 and I thought i was doing a good job.

So recently on wednesday (November 19th, 2014) my dad and I received a letter saying that I owe SSI $5,000 because of an overpayment because both of my accounts were over $2000. And I was shocked because I had been keeping both of my accounts below $2000. Because they said SSI is looking at 3 different things; 1) Income 2) Resources and the other thing I forget. But they are saying that I went over my resources which I don't understand what that means. But both of my accounts have been within $400-1000. So we went to the SSI office on friday, and we talked to an SSI Claim representative and that person said that it doesn't sound like the situation I'm in would be waived unless i show some kind of proof that I have been keeping under $2000. And the guy we talked to wasn't very helpful. So after our drop-in appointment with the SSI claim rep, we went to the bank and we print out my bank statements starting from February 1st,2013 to February 1st, 2014 and we looked at each month and it was below $2000 and we have no idea how SSI are getting those crazy numbers from the bank. So we went back into SSI office and talked to a different claim rep, and she looked at my statements and looked at the computer and they are completely different numbers. She said it was like someone was hitting a repeat button on the computer and was not paying attention to what they were doing.

We asked about the $2000 that they paid me on those times they did not pay me when i was declined, she said that will be waived because it was their fault and it would be removed from my account. She said that she would be making some changes from their computer regarding to what the bank is sending them from my statements.

My dad and I were so frustrated because SSI has become such a huge problem for us. The both of us decided we want to drop SSI but then another problem came up. They said that If I drop SSI, I'm basically telling them that I don't want medicaid/medicare and I would mess up VR to help me pay for school. So Now i'm at the point where I'm feeling like is this even worth it to keep SSI just to keep those benefits that I might need in the future?? I had a lot of nervous breakdowns because I'm currently making and designing a book for my design classes and finals week is getting close including the fall semester ending and I have this SSI problem on top of that on my plate and I have been extremely worried and been losing sleep and I have not been feeling well because of this and I don't know what else to do other than come here for advice and information to those who have had more experience with SSI than me since I only had it for close to a year. What would you do if you were in this situation? But there is a few questions I have about SSI,

1) If i were to get married, If i don't have SSI anymore but my husband do and if we have a joint account together, would we still need to keep that account below $2000 if we have a joint account?

2) because SSI is saying that my resources are over the $2000 limit, is it a good idea to show them that I'm paying some expense such as a cellphone bill or rent, etc by getting a credit card to show them that I have credit?

I'm really stuck and so frustrated and completely overwhelmed. I do need help and information. I'm a college student and I have no idea how i'm going to pay back $5000 if it doesn't get waived. It will take me a couple years to even pay it back. Thanks for reading this!!!

You should get a lawyer that handles SSI cases .

Well my dad and I decided that if it doesn't get waived or discount the payment that SSI is saying i owe, we might appeal it. I'm not sure how good that would be for me though. I lost a lot of sleep over this situation.

Why would you lose your sleep over this debt? This debt is NOTHING comparing to the rest of creditors nowadays. I would rather have deep debt with SSA than with IRS. Nevermind how much owed, cause IRS will charge you 18% interest on debt owed, SSA, and medical debt so far have the best repayment term.

U could have just pay back 10 dollars a month, they can't do anything more than that.

Why would you lose your sleep over this debt? This debt is NOTHING comparing to the rest of creditors nowadays. I would rather have deep debt with SSA than with IRS. Nevermind how much owed, cause IRS will charge you 18% interest on debt owed, SSA, and medical debt so far have the best repayment term.

U could have just pay back 10 dollars a month, they can't do anything more than that.

I showed this post to my dad. This is what he said "but you will be paying that off for a long time. I think either one owing IRS or SSI will still affect your credit if you're going to have to pay them back"

My other concern is being able to get Medicaid in the future if i decide to stop receiving SSI. Because SSI told me today if i stop it, I won't be eligible for it. Which makes me concern.

If you have bank statement proof that's under 2,000.

You can always ask for claims rep's supervisor to explain it to you why you were overpaid. You must bring your own bank statement but don't give them the original. Always make copy of the proof bank statement or pay stubs.

If it's true that your overpaid that you forget some resource that is over 2,000. then they will allow you to deduct from your ssi to pay back every month so you would not lose VR and Medicaid.

You need some proof so ssa will waive you. If you don't have proof and they see $$ from direct to irs. IRS controls $$ not ssa That's why you need to mske copy of everything for your own protection.

Sent from my iPhone using AllDeaf

If you pay back in monthly, regardless of how long it takes, won't impact your credit, but if you do screw them, it will show up as collections and can hurt your credit. Don't forget you are taking out interest, penalty free loan, where do you find other loans that don't charge you a penny for loan?

I showed this post to my dad. This is what he said "but you will be paying that off for a long time. I think either one owing IRS or SSI will still affect your credit if you're going to have to pay them back"

My other concern is being able to get Medicaid in the future if i decide to stop receiving SSI. Because SSI told me today if i stop it, I won't be eligible for it. Which makes me concern.

This is precisely why I don't support going college depending only SSI instead of being supported by one's own job. Say, if you had not take that cute 600 dollars a month from SSA, but work part time getting 800 dollars a month will not leave one's in debt like that BUT with better reference and resume.

I am speaking for every one who goes college and claim can't get job due to no time is lame.

If you pay back in monthly, regardless of how long it takes, won't impact your credit, but if you do screw them, it will show up as collections and can hurt your credit. Don't forget you are taking out interest, penalty free loan, where do you find other loans that don't charge you a penny for loan?

irrelevant. this is not helping her. let's focus on her SSI case only.

Hello all,

Sorry i haven't been on AllDeaf for awhile, I'm getting close to graduating for my Associate's degree and i've been traveling and keeping busy!

but I am in a situation with SSI and I need your help to help me understand and figure out what to do. So, Let me start from the beginning.

I applied to SSI in fall of 2012, my first year going to college. I was receiving a few checks from SSI while they were deciding if i was eligible for it or not. I applied i believe in early September. So then between late November to early December, i was denied SSI because they believed that I was not deaf enough even though I sent them proof i am deaf by showing them my audiogram. But to them it wasn't enough. My dad is a representative for me on my SSI so both of us appealed against that idea from what SSI was saying. So, from december all the way to early April, I was not getting payed from SSI because we were appealing them. But then they decided I was eligible for it. So in early july, from the time that SSI did not pay me (December-April) They paid me the money for the time they did not pay me (about $2000.) and half of that money was used towards paying my tuition for school for the upcoming fall semester for 2013. So from there on out until last wednesday everything was fine. I obeyed their rules from keeping my accounts below $2000 and I thought i was doing a good job.

So recently on wednesday (November 19th, 2014) my dad and I received a letter saying that I owe SSI $5,000 because of an overpayment because both of my accounts were over $2000. And I was shocked because I had been keeping both of my accounts below $2000. Because they said SSI is looking at 3 different things; 1) Income 2) Resources and the other thing I forget. But they are saying that I went over my resources which I don't understand what that means. But both of my accounts have been within $400-1000. So we went to the SSI office on friday, and we talked to an SSI Claim representative and that person said that it doesn't sound like the situation I'm in would be waived unless i show some kind of proof that I have been keeping under $2000. And the guy we talked to wasn't very helpful. So after our drop-in appointment with the SSI claim rep, we went to the bank and we print out my bank statements starting from February 1st,2013 to February 1st, 2014 and we looked at each month and it was below $2000 and we have no idea how SSI are getting those crazy numbers from the bank. So we went back into SSI office and talked to a different claim rep, and she looked at my statements and looked at the computer and they are completely different numbers. She said it was like someone was hitting a repeat button on the computer and was not paying attention to what they were doing.

We asked about the $2000 that they paid me on those times they did not pay me when i was declined, she said that will be waived because it was their fault and it would be removed from my account. She said that she would be making some changes from their computer regarding to what the bank is sending them from my statements.

My dad and I were so frustrated because SSI has become such a huge problem for us. The both of us decided we want to drop SSI but then another problem came up. They said that If I drop SSI, I'm basically telling them that I don't want medicaid/medicare and I would mess up VR to help me pay for school. So Now i'm at the point where I'm feeling like is this even worth it to keep SSI just to keep those benefits that I might need in the future?? I had a lot of nervous breakdowns because I'm currently making and designing a book for my design classes and finals week is getting close including the fall semester ending and I have this SSI problem on top of that on my plate and I have been extremely worried and been losing sleep and I have not been feeling well because of this and I don't know what else to do other than come here for advice and information to those who have had more experience with SSI than me since I only had it for close to a year. What would you do if you were in this situation? But there is a few questions I have about SSI,

1) If i were to get married, If i don't have SSI anymore but my husband do and if we have a joint account together, would we still need to keep that account below $2000 if we have a joint account?

2) because SSI is saying that my resources are over the $2000 limit, is it a good idea to show them that I'm paying some expense such as a cellphone bill or rent, etc by getting a credit card to show them that I have credit?

I'm really stuck and so frustrated and completely overwhelmed. I do need help and information. I'm a college student and I have no idea how i'm going to pay back $5000 if it doesn't get waived. It will take me a couple years to even pay it back. Thanks for reading this!!!

why are you paying for college tuition with SSI money? your tuition should be covered by your VR.

Damn you, will you quit???? This is god damn public, and i am speaking for others who may attempt do the same thing thinking don't need job while in college, and i am merely showing this as a fawking example for others.

Yes! I put capital because your on my pet peeve list!

irrelevant. This is not helping her. Let's focus on her ssi case only.

SEE???? U don't gasp the reality that VR is no longer paying for everything, they are cutting and cutting and expect student to pay the share. I think it is justified because if VR pays everything, then student wouldn't care less in the long run. If they pay, they will be more careful with their decision.

why are you paying for college tuition with SSI money? your tuition should be covered by your VR.

SEE???? U don't gasp the reality that VR is no longer paying for everything, they are cutting and cutting and expect student to pay the share. I think it is justified because if VR pays everything, then student wouldn't care less in the long run. If they pay, they will be more careful with their decision.

uh..... that would be incorrect. sorry to say. why don't we stick to facts instead of opinions? I believe your knowledge is not current.

Damn you, will you quit???? This is god damn public, and i am speaking for others who may attempt do the same thing thinking don't need job while in college, and i am merely showing this as a fawking example for others.

Yes! I put capital because your on my pet peeve list!

feel free to create a new thread about that to lecture others. can I recommend a title for a new thread? "Captain Obvious' Tips to Life"

again - irrelevant and presumptuous.

Get your eyes F>>>IN open! This is public, for god christ public forum, I am speaking to EVERYBODY, not just that coolspygirl, my comment is NOT direct to Coolspygirl. I comment for the rest of students who thinks can take advantage of system by not need find a job and focus on school. I pointed out why having job is better than depend on SSI.

uh..... that would be incorrect. sorry to say. why don't we stick to facts instead of opinions? I believe your knowledge is not current.

Get your eyes F>>>IN open! This is public, for god christ public forum, I am speaking to EVERYBODY, not just that coolspygirl, my comment is NOT direct to Coolspygirl. I comment for the rest of students who thinks can take advantage of system by not need find a job and focus on school. I pointed out why having job is better than depend on SSI.

so you admit to making irrelevant posts? please create a new thread about whatever you're talking about.

Because at that time we applied for VR, but I was denied SSI when I first applied and it took a long time to get thag appealed so I can recieve ssi again. VR said it would be easier for me to recieve that and faster if I have SSI. So the process with getting VR is taking a long time due to issues with FASFA not sending them information correctly and my ssi issues with them declining me and now this situation. But I'm supposedly getting VR when the spring semester begins. I'm not exactly sure.

Diehardbiker and jiro, please do not argue. I'm only looking for information and advice to help me get out of this situation. I do not want to rely on ssi at all. I do want to get a job and I plan on stopping ssi when I have a stable job when I get my bachelors. I'm young and I don't have a lot of experience and I only have had ssi for a year and I've been having a ton of problems and only looking for advice and experiened people to those who have had ssi longer than me so I can learn from the situation to prevent from this happening ever again.

Because at that time we applied for VR, but I was denied SSI when I first applied and it took a long time to get thag appealed so I can recieve ssi again. VR said it would be easier for me to recieve that and faster if I have SSI. So the process with getting VR is taking a long time due to issues with FASFA not sending them information correctly and my ssi issues with them declining me and now this situation. But I'm supposedly getting VR when the spring semester begins. I'm not exactly sure.

My niece tried to get on Rehab but she was told they're only helping people that have more than one handicap b/c their funding been cut. It's harder to get help from VR or Rehab these days. I really feel you should get a SSI lawyer soon to see how to deal with this. SSI is going to want the money back soon. Good luck!

I see. always stay in touch with VR and be diligent about it. if you don't like your VR counselor - request for a new one.

my VR counselor is the best one I've ever had. excellent relationship and very helpful and dedicated... worked very hard to make sure I get what I want. that's the kind of VR counselor you should have. if you feel you're doing more work than your VR counselor and if you don't feel like you have a good relationship with yours..... get a new one. IMMEDIATELY.

Back