Need help/recommendations for watching TV/movies

Czw24

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm new here and tried searching a little bit but didn't see any threads with my specific situation so I'm hoping someone out there sees this and can offer some help. My father (76yo) is fully deaf in one ear and hard of hearing in the other. He's also lost most of his vision in one eye and has limited vision in the other. He's always been a huge movie person but he now struggles to see/hear what's going one. Descriptive audio with the headsets in movie theaters is helpful (he really enjoyed Godzilla vs. Kong) but when we are at home and want to watch movies we struggle a bit. Even when the TV and soundbar are turned all the way up he can't always hear what is actually being said during dialogue scenes. Having headphones at home connected to the TV would likely help but I'm not sure how that works when we are watching movies together or with others. If Bluetooth headphones are connected for him to the TV does that prevent sound from coming from the TV for everyone else?
And a follow up for that would be if we watch movies with descriptive audio for him, is there a way to watch with descriptive audio to the headphones but standard audio from the TV (similar to how it is done in the theatres)?
Closed captioning isn't really helpful for him due to his vision and captions would change much too quickly before he's able to read them even at the largest size.
Any product/software recommendations for headphones or services or anything else that would be helpful is very much appreciated. We're both newly adjusting to his vision and hearing loss so any advice is helpful to us as we're both trying to learn what's all out there.

Thanks!

Slap a set of VR googles on him and see how he likes them.

Get a bigger television screen. You can get a 32 inch for 100 bucks in wally or a 40+ for a little more.

You have hit a hot topic for me. I have a pair of hearing aids and I use them to get better sound from our TV by connecting a headphone cable to the headphone jack and plugging that into my Phonak streamer. The problem is that when I plug the cord into the headphone jack it cuts off the speakers. My wife cannot hear the sound if I am plugged in to the receiver.

I once worked as a Radio/TV service person and I still have some tools and instruments. I took apart a Sony receiver and I added a second jack that could output to the headphone cable without cutting off the speakers. But now I have a newer receiver and I am reluctant to modify it while it is still under warranty.

We - as a community - need to put pressure on TV makers and sound system designers to have 2 output jacks - or a switch that I had on some older equipment : Headphone/Speakers/Both ---- maybe an ADA appeal:

Under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), people who are deaf or hard of hearing are entitled to the same services law enforcement provides to anyone else. They may not be excluded or segregated from services, be denied services, or otherwise be treated differently than other people.

What I want for myself are larger captions on a small TV when watching in bed without my glasses before going to sleep! That is because I don't know how well the glasses will do when I go to sleep with the TV still on. I am in a similar situation To the OP's father (deaf in one ear and very profound in the other) without the blindness.

You flood your eyes with blue light prior to sleep which destroys your natural sleep clock. At about 14 hours give or take you start processing various chemicals for the upcoming sleep. Its the same blue light that rips your eyes at night in driving from LED lights.

As a side note when things are stressful, I'll put up either one of my purring cats poured all over teh computer sleeping. Or run a high idfe condition on a older mechanical cat heavy truck or locomotive engine. That low down bass is where I can hear and feel normally like everyone else. Z generator.

zzzzzzz

I keep a set of glasses with LED and other fixtures and night glasses which excludes blue light.

Hi everyone, I'm new here and tried searching a little bit but didn't see any threads with my specific situation so I'm hoping someone out there sees this and can offer some help. My father (76yo) is fully deaf in one ear and hard of hearing in the other. He's also lost most of his vision in one eye and has limited vision in the other. He's always been a huge movie person but he now struggles to see/hear what's going one. Descriptive audio with the headsets in movie theaters is helpful (he really enjoyed Godzilla vs. Kong) but when we are at home and want to watch movies we struggle a bit. Even when the TV and soundbar are turned all the way up he can't always hear what is actually being said during dialogue scenes. Having headphones at home connected to the TV would likely help but I'm not sure how that works when we are watching movies together or with others. If Bluetooth headphones are connected for him to the TV does that prevent sound from coming from the TV for everyone else?
And a follow up for that would be if we watch movies with descriptive audio for him, is there a way to watch with descriptive audio to the headphones but standard audio from the TV (similar to how it is done in the theatres)?
Closed captioning isn't really helpful for him due to his vision and captions would change much too quickly before he's able to read them even at the largest size.
Any product/software recommendations for headphones or services or anything else that would be helpful is very much appreciated. We're both newly adjusting to his vision and hearing loss so any advice is helpful to us as we're both trying to learn what's all out there.

Thanks!
I am SSD and these wireless bone conduction headphone(s) changed my life, check them out, I hope this helps
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/review...-conduction-open-ear-headphones-slate/4875404
oops, see below

Last edited:

Thanks!
I became SSD 11 years ago when granite slabs fell off a truck and struck me to the ground, when I came to at the hospital I realized that, among other things, broken hips and legs, the hearing in my right ear was gone. My bones finally healed but I had a serious TBI, and was SSD. I struggled to adapt to this new world of not being able to "cypher" sound information very well. I could not locate a sound or a voice unless it was right in front of me, and the volume in my good ear was much louder and coming from all around. I tried hearing aids but they didn't work at all, and having one in my ear canal all day caused allot of problems. Then a friend of mine turned me on to these conduction phones and the first time I put them on, well it changed my life. I ware two now, one paired up to my Galaxy 7 phone, and the other paired to my Kindle Fire 7 tablet. Now I can program my music on my Kindle, receive or make phone calls, hear my wife in the other room yelling at me to take the trash out, be washing dishes, all at the same time and "hands free". Check them out and I hope it helps.

Back