need help on finding answer to see which option of medicaid cover cochlear implant

Steel X

Reaction score
Good afternoon, I'm currently in South Carolina as I already switched my SSI with medicaid insurance so I'm supposed to get my cochlear implant this summer. I was originally from North Carolina but since the audiologist told me that according to the North Carolina state law, medicaid will not cover the cochlear implant on anyone over the age of 21, (I am 27, will be 28 in October) which is part of why I switched my insurance to south carolina because my mom has been collection information for months trying to see if medicaid in SC would cover cochlear implants and a lady told my mom on the phone that it would so I was there to confirm everything from NC to SC and then we went to the hospital in charleston to show them my insurance and everything and they seem to be okay with that so far so I'm expected to have the CI surgery in July 5th. However, there was a problem yesterday when my mom received an unexpected call from a lady telling us that the option we chose for my medicaid insurance was ineffective. The option we chose was "absloutecare" or something like that but since my mom explained everything we went through and struggled to get me the CI before I return to RIT, she told my mom she'll find a way to work something out about this so she was looking at the first choice option and will call my mom back this afternoon. If you have any recommendations or anything useful on how, as an adult patient, can get the cochlear implant in south carolina. I would truly appreciate your feedback. Thanks.

Back