NEED a power supply with a pfc

Zeroblazer21

Reaction score
my friend's custom pc's psu died he cant afford to get a new psu due to tight budget. he's deaf,too. i was hoping anyone can help me? any free psu that can handle and work

thanks!

You may want to give more information. For example, what is power rating you need and etc..

As for me, I don't have any extra one. :(

400 to 500watts will be enough to stress. and it need to be pfc (power factor correction) for saving elec bills i think.

500 Watts is good, although 600 watts will be a nice elbow room especially when it comes to have a bit powerful fans... My old ATX power supply went belly-up (Ultra 400W) as it was iffy... And, I had to use Dell ATX power supply for a while now, so stressed beyond its rated power, 250 Watts while load is actually 400+ Watts (Phenom II Deneb build - I had to save up money and the likes - I do my works on it, like printed-circuit board CAD). I would like to replace it soon. Why PFC? It's better designed against sudden changes in current-drawing, like switching on Delta fans.

500 Watts is good, although 600 watts will be a nice elbow room especially when it comes to have a bit powerful fans... My old ATX power supply went belly-up (Ultra 400W) as it was iffy... And, I had to use Dell ATX power supply for a while now, so stressed beyond its rated power, 250 Watts while load is actually 400+ Watts (Phenom II Deneb build - I had to save up money and the likes - I do my works on it, like printed-circuit board CAD). I would like to replace it soon. Why PFC? It's better designed against sudden changes in current-drawing, like switching on Delta fans.

ta da! here you go you finally signed up. welcome to alldeaf.

How about that?

Actually, the power supply don't have to be BRAND NEW (but if you want to, alright), I am fine with used Active PFC (80 PLUS) 500 - 600 Watts ATX power supply, if anyone got after upgrading to more powerful version. If anyone want to give me, PM me.

You can try drive around neigborhood and hope to find CPU thrown away (on junk day). Grab it and rip the power supply out and all of its "gold mine" parts out. I got lucky finding good CPU thrown away and fixed it and got it up and running :lol: I have plenty of power supply laying around but it's OLD!! the highest wattage I have is 400 watts but it don't help with your friend's system and power supply was funky sometime. You can buy it cheap at Microcenter or computer store cost around $25 for 500 watt unit.

Or Check Ebay to see if you can grab cheap power supply with free shipping and handling.

Sometime you might want to check around Thrift or Goodwill store that MIGHT sell power supply if any luck. Some people drop off old CPU to Goodwill. I've seen them do.

Your friend's system can run on 450 watt power supply minimum IF you remove old phone modem, unplug unneccessary hardwares plugged to USB (such as USB printer, Thumbdrive, USB hdd storage, ect), remove powerful graphic AGP or PCI-E if motherboard have built-in GPU chipset. This would help keep system running for while till your friend save up money for perhap 600 or 700 watt power supply.

Catty

Actually, the power supply don't have to be BRAND NEW (but if you want to, alright), I am fine with used Active PFC (80 PLUS) 500 - 600 Watts ATX power supply, if anyone got after upgrading to more powerful version. If anyone want to give me, PM me.

bring your old died psu to recycle and you will get a 10 buck. thats what my friend told me.

Desktop. I have Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2HP motherboard, which is pretty good. And I don't have phone modem or whatsoever - in fact, my computer is actually very much "bare", only important hardwares are used: two hard drives, AMD Radeeon HD 4670 (I had to ditch the Integrated Graphic Processor as it have been giving me problems), and a SATA DVD burner. That's it - but the only part that consumes the most is AMD Phenom II X4 940 CPU I have - at 14 Amps (to be regulated down to 1.1 volts at 114 Amps to be fed to the CPU to keep it running). I do have its Cool 'n' Quiet power-saving feature turned on, just I would want to switch out the PSU so may give me a bit rooms for upgrading - eventually I may do water-cooling (with sealed cooler) as I am very fussy about CPU temperature - I just like my CPU cooler so it can last long enough for me, no matter how fast it would go.

not laptop. just a desktop power supply. if you have a 500 psu let me know.

Or you might want to take apart PSU and see if fuse been blown inside. If it did then try replacing it. Most PSU have fuses inside of it. Fuse are too cheap!

Catty

Unfortunately, it wasn't the fuse... It was the secondary-side capacitor banks that went bad (enough to cause the voltmeter status on my motherboard's BIOS to jump up and down - not what you want to be seeing) -the PSU was fit with Fuhjyyu capacitors (HORRIBLE capacitor brands...) so it was meant to fail sooner or later... I had to temporarily use Dell PSU (which uses Rubycon and United Chemical-Con capacitors - very high quality), although a bit underrated... The Dell PSU was stressed enough to the point the 12V line dropped to either 11.94 - 11.83 volts. (Man, that's a tough PSU...)

Unfortunately, it wasn't the fuse... It was the secondary-side capacitor banks that went bad (enough to cause the voltmeter status on my motherboard's BIOS to jump up and down - not what you want to be seeing) -the PSU was fit with Fuhjyyu capacitors (HORRIBLE capacitor brands...) so it was meant to fail sooner or later... I had to temporarily use Dell PSU (which uses Rubycon and United Chemical-Con capacitors - very high quality), although a bit underrated... The Dell PSU was stressed enough to the point the 12V line dropped to either 11.94 - 11.83 volts. (Man, that's a tough PSU...)

I know what you mean about capacitor. I've replaced old Gigabyte 7VAX motherboard (AMD Althon XP motherbord) capacitors to Rubycon. Cuz the original capacitors was about to fail cuz of rounded top and bottom rubber stop about to come out. I bought Rubycon Capacitors from guy who live in England. He was so nice enough to sell me capacitors of that brand even he was selling different brand capacitors. I got it from mail then I replaced all capacitors then powered up mobo and it ran so much better and noticeably faster! How did I know about Rubycon capactors, I read through Overclockers.com and other "motherboard hack" website and it turned out to be the quality of capacitor that affects some brands of mobo. and there were recalls on that.

Now Gigabyte motherboard caught on fire 4 years ago (it was a power supply connector to motherboard that overheated and burned plastic connector). Mobo was shot but I removed all Rubycon capacitor for next mobo if it use same type :lol:

If you can get lucky if you can look for capacitor of similiar type and farads (not name) to replace the Funjyyu campacitors.

Back