Navigating a Hearing World

Stella

Reaction score
How do you handle random people who talk to you and you can't hear them? I'm talking about the cashier at the grocery store or the person in line behind you who try to make small talk?

How do you handle random people who talk to you and you can't hear them? I'm talking about the cashier at the grocery store or the person in line behind you who try to make small talk?

I just tell them that I am deaf and can't hear them. I use to worry that people thought I was being a bitch and ignoring them. It doesn't bother me as much anymore.

I had that happen not long ago. Usually I communicate okay with the hearing world, but this instance was a little different, since it involved security, so what I did was bring up an app I keep handy on my Samsung tablet, called DeafNote, and if I have a hard time understanding someone, I'll use it, but that rarely happens, though.

I had that happen not long ago. Usually I communicate okay with the hearing world, but this instance was a little different, since it involved security, so what I did was bring up an app I keep handy on my Samsung tablet, called DeafNote, and if I have a hard time understanding someone, I'll use it, but that rarely happens, though.

Hey Mark, what is DeafNNote, how does it work? I can't get it on my Apple devices. Is it like Dragon?

You are up super late....

Hey Mark, what is DeafNNote, how does it work? I can't get it on my Apple devices. Is it like Dragon?

You are up super late....

That's an app for taking notes, but it's also handy for typing/communicating with those I interact with on a daily basis (Even though I rarely use the app), and it's good to have if communication is difficult.

As for being up late, yeah, not sure why. :shock: Usually I'm knocked out by now, but why I'm awake now, I have no idea.

And I'm not sure if Apple has it just yet-- Android yes.

I don't often talk to strangers. If I have to I tell them I'm HoH. I'm trying to get a speech generating device so if I get that it will be easier. I can speak but I don't like to because it takes a lot of effort to speak clearly due to autism and conditions that affect my muscles.

Thanks everyone!

I had DeafNote before on my old phone and it did come in handy, but it was like...
"Um, can you speak into my phone?, thanks" I'm not opposed to using it, but sometimes it can be awkward.

Though, when panhandlers or solicitors bug me, I point to my ear and mouth, "I'm deaf" and that pretty much keeps them away.

Thanks everyone!

I had DeafNote before on my old phone and it did come in handy, but it was like...
"Um, can you speak into my phone?, thanks" I'm not opposed to using it, but sometimes it can be awkward.

Though, when panhandlers or solicitors bug me, I point to my ear and mouth, "I'm deaf" and that pretty much keeps them away.

Yeah...same here....I'm still getting those "I'm sorry" when I say I'm deaf....(and still so aggravating at times)....but have learned not to let the little stuff annoy me so much....Just smile and get back to whatever I'm doing.....

Yeah...same here....I'm still getting those "I'm sorry" when I say I'm deaf....(and still so aggravating at times)....but have learned not to let the little stuff annoy me so much....Just smile and get back to whatever I'm doing.....

There are so many meanings that can be perceived from the phrase "I'm sorry". It could be simply meaning "I'm sorry I did what I did as I didn't know you were deaf" but shortening it to "I'm sorry".

There are so many meanings that can be perceived from the phrase "I'm sorry". It could be simply meaning "I'm sorry I did what I did as I didn't know you were deaf" but shortening it to "I'm sorry".

I got that recently when I had the Flu shot. The nurse was asking me questions looking down at her paperwork, and I just responded "I'm deaf." She apologized and faced me when she spoke. Saying I'm sorry in English, as with other languages, can also just mean "excuse me," not "I feel sorry for you."

Laura

Yeah, most of the time I let the "I'm sorry" slide, but you can tell when someone is giving fake pity. So, I say, "It's not your fault."

"I'm deaf."
"Oh, I'm so sorry." *Fake pity sorry*
"Why? it's not your fault."

They usually don't know what to say after that.

Usually, my mother just speaks to them for me or I can read their lips. If someone tries to whisper to me in a quiet setting, I just have to be honest with them and they usually write things down for me.

Yeah, most of the time I let the "I'm sorry" slide, but you can tell when someone is giving fake pity. So, I say, "It's not your fault."

"I'm deaf."
"Oh, I'm so sorry." *Fake pity sorry*
"Why? it's not your fault."

They usually don't know what to say after that.

That's just a common response.

If you where to say, I'm sorry I am busy right now or another reason they most likely will say sorry.

Back