Native American child sent home over traditional mohawk

As soon as the parents proved the information the school dropped the hairstyle requirement so what's the problem? The school wasn't telling just Native Americans how to dress and look; the dress code was for all the students. Once they learned that the it was a tribal tradition they let it go.

Whey shouldn't they ask for a letter? How else would the school admin know whether or not it was a legitimate tradition? Once they got the letter, problem solved.

Much media hype.

Reba, the problem is that whites have NO BUSINESS telling the ORIGINAL inhabitant's descendents how to live their lives. I would suggest you read a chapter by Rajiv Malhotra on American Exceptionalism and the Myth of the Frontier:

http://www.medhajournal.com/images/pdf/RajivM/rm_chapter9.pdf

By DEMANDING a letter, they are still legitimizing themselves as the "rightful" owner of civilization and ways and means of tradition on this continent. Why should the Native Americans have to justify their ways and their appearances, when it is the white foreigners who need to "justify" their presence on this continent, in spite of the fact that this began over 500 years ago?

if child in class of non native or people with everyday hair styles I surppose kid in danger of being bullied but now teacher been educated this can be prevented and everyone learns something about American natives

Reba, the problem is that whites have NO BUSINESS telling the ORIGINAL inhabitant's descendents how to live their lives. I would suggest you read a chapter by Rajiv Malhotra on American Exceptionalism and the Myth of the Frontier:

http://www.medhajournal.com/images/pdf/RajivM/rm_chapter9.pdf
Everyone attending that school is expected to follow the rules.

Since the school received the letter about the hair tradition the school administration has NOT been telling the family how to live their lives. In fact, the school never told the family how to live their lives. They simply requested that they follow the school procedures when their child was attending school.

BTW, this family may be descendants of this nation's original inhabitants but they and the school staff are the current inhabitants, and that's what we're dealing with--the present.

By DEMANDING a letter, they are still legitimizing themselves as the "rightful" owner of civilization and ways and means of tradition on this continent. Why should the Native Americans have to justify their ways and their appearances, when it is the white foreigners who need to "justify" their presence on this continent, in spite of the fact that this began over 500 years ago?
The dress and grooming code was set for ALL students and does allow for exceptions, which they got. If a Hassidic boy wanted to wear his hair in the traditional manner, he would have to bring a letter, too.

Citizens who live in America now are not foreigners. Many of them are also descended from generations of native-born Americans.

I'm sorry that Native Americans were so mistreated but we have to deal with the here and now, not the past.

if child in class of non native or people with everyday hair styles I surppose kid in danger of being bullied but now teacher been educated this can be prevented and everyone learns something about American natives
Right. Bullying, teasing or any kind of negative attention should not be allowed at the school.

Besides, every kid has some kind of feature that could be a target of teasing or bullying--too fat, too skinny, big ears, big nose, frizzy hair, no hair, crossed eyes, shabby clothes, thick eye glasses, shyness, whatever. No bullying should be allowed.

Right. Bullying, teasing or any kind of negative attention should not be allowed at the school.

Besides, every kid has some kind of feature that could be a target of teasing or bullying--too fat, too skinny, big ears, big nose, frizzy hair, no hair, crossed eyes, shabby clothes, thick eye glasses, shyness, whatever. No bullying should be allowed.

This is true

Reba, your comments simply show that you don't "get it." Just what justifies the white-run system to demand that the family has to explain its position in the first place? The ignorance would be excused if Fahrenheit 451 had occurred 300 years ago and this knowledge of atrocity against Native Americans was only coming to light today. No, we knew this all along. In this case, you stand by the school's initial actions of the demand of evidence. This is just like "Papers, please," in Germany. This is a continuation of the behaviors of boarding schools in the 1700-1800s, where the Indianness was taught out of the kids through brainwashing and quite brutally (Dad had told me a couple of stories about what happened to my great-grandmother (born 1866) and my grandmother (born 1890)). This is just a much-softer version of it, but it is still hanging on.

OMG ! My younger sister became friend with a girl that had a big nose while in grade school. This cost my sister the lost of her other friends , they started to pick on her too for being friend with the girl with the 'big nose' . This was really hard on my sister , nothing was done about bullying then , some of the teachers were bullies too.

Reba, your comments simply show that you don't "get it." Just what justifies the white-run system to demand that the family has to explain its position in the first place?
If it was black-run, Asian-run, or Hispanic-run, would it make a difference to you?

The ignorance would be excused if Fahrenheit 451 had occurred 300 years ago and this knowledge of atrocity against Native Americans was only coming to light today. No, we knew this all along.
OK. Atrocities of the past happened. Everyone gets it. We live today and to deal with what's happening now.

In this case, you stand by the school's initial actions of the demand of evidence. This is just like "Papers, please," in Germany.
No, it isn't.

This is a continuation of the behaviors of boarding schools in the 1700-1800s, where the Indianness was taught out of the kids through brainwashing and quite brutally (Dad had told me a couple of stories about what happened to my great-grandmother (born 1866) and my grandmother (born 1890)). This is just a much-softer version of it, but it is still hanging on.
No, it isn't. The boy won. He gets to keep his hairstyle.

a WEAPON?!! Ooookay. I don't think that's why the school would think that especially if you look at the picture of the kid's mohawk. I say they figure 7 years olds are going to be more interested in his mohawk than their school work; doubt his classmates would care all that much

Here's a video (no captions) and a picture of the kid
http://pix11.com/2015/09/20/american-indian-boy-pulled-out-of-class-in-utah-over-mohawk/

View attachment 22556

What a cute boy. Maybe Whatdidyousay mean that mohawk looks sharp and it can cut a paper? *shrugs*

I'm glad the school administrators let him keep his hairstyle and recognized its a cultural significance. It's subtle that the media made it look a huge deal and created a drama.

What a cute boy. Maybe Whatdidyousay mean that mohawk looks sharp and it can cut a paper? *shrugs*

I'm glad the school administrators let him keep his hairstyle and recognized its a cultural significance. It's subtle that the media made it look a huge deal and created a drama.
Moot point since if you read further down- she "meant it as a joke". I see your point though-- I've seen those spiked/"Liberty" style mohawks where the hair stands strait up in points... now those could easily hurt somebody lol.

The media subtle? I think they passed subtle about 10 years ago lol- but yes the way things are written these days really mislead people a lot.

Since punk rockers and other non-Native Americans wear versions of the Mohawk hairstyle, I can understand why the school wanted to be sure that the boy had his hair that way for traditional reasons and not just for a popular fashion.

While researching this, I found out that traditionally the hairstyle is achieved by plucking the hair out in tufts rather than shaving. Ouch!

Moot point since if you read further down- she "meant it as a joke". I see your point though-- I've seen those spiked/"Liberty" style mohawks where the hair stands strait up in points... now those could easily hurt somebody lol.

The media subtle? I think they passed subtle about 10 years ago lol- but yes the way things are written these days really mislead people a lot.

I just read that. Thanks. Anyone actually can hide a weapon like a sharp object in long hair.

Yeah, the journalists must be so desperate. Read my article, please! Look, look! :P

Since punk rockers and other non-Native Americans wear versions of the Mohawk hairstyle, I can understand why the school wanted to be sure that the boy had his hair that way for traditional reasons and not just for a popular fashion.

While researching this, I found out that traditionally the hairstyle is achieved by plucking the hair out in tufts rather than shaving. Ouch!

Yeah, in my high school, they did that. Mohawk may be a popular fashion, but to others, it is a symbol of rebellion.

they could give up tax free cigs and booze.total equality as it patronising patting on the head here you are have the tax free fags and booze on behalf of European Afro Chinese Japanese Americans

Total equality?
Where....where...
(Looking both direction twice)
Where ever that is, its not america..

Majority of the schools nowadays have dress code that is enforceable. If the teacher or staff see a student wearing inappropriate or offensive clothing, school will send student home. Student probably aren't allowed to wear piercings on nose, eyes lip, either.

In my high school days, I've seen student wear mohawk and school didn't do a thing, today seem like cultures in school changed a lot since I graduated. Unfortunately too many violence happened after mid '90's and that changed lot of things in regulations.

Total equality?
Where....where...
(Looking both direction twice)
Where ever that is, its not america..

I thought they got tax free shops for cigs and booze at least that where I bought my fags.pay same price as everyone else unless can prove a jd is cultural.

If it was black-run, Asian-run, or Hispanic-run, would it make a difference to you?

OK. Atrocities of the past happened. Everyone gets it. We live today and to deal with what's happening now.

No, it isn't.

No, it isn't. The boy won. He gets to keep his hairstyle.

I rest my case. You've proven my point.

I thought they got tax free shops for cigs and booze at least that where I bought my fags.pay same price as everyone else unless can prove a jd is cultural.

Sure,
But are yoo aware how much poverty afflocts native reserves and communities?

As soon as the parents proved the information the school dropped the hairstyle requirement so what's the problem? The school wasn't telling just Native Americans how to dress and look; the dress code was for all the students. Once they learned that the it was a tribal tradition they let it go.

Whey shouldn't they ask for a letter? How else would the school admin know whether or not it was a legitimate tradition? Once they got the letter, problem solved.

Much media hype.

That is one thing I am puzzled about the teacher or the public school wanting to get the letter from their Seneca Tribal Council to prove they are Natives. If Mom show her band status, even her son's band status to the teacher or principal that this is the prove that they are native, but they are using the parents like children and had them get the letter from their tribal Chief and council. This is what make me upset about the school treatment on the parent(s) having to act like a child or children. Yes, in their tribal ways, they can use their tribal traditions to use different hair styles to their choosing. Not every tribe are not the same as they have different way to dress and using hair styles.

Yeah, many Native children were forced to go into the boarding schools to changed their way of life as white as possible to be like the white people just like hearing people want us to be like hearing people to "fix" us with hearing aids and CI along with speech and listening.

I have had to put up with both of their cultures as I get frustrated trying to make head and tail on what they are doing to us. It make us all unhappy when we could not get our own tradition (culture) and our own languages back again. We are not children. We are adults and we can do fine with our children. Thank you.

Back