Name Signs

tayfoster

Reaction score
I'm a hearing person, and I'm learning how to sign (mostly for fun), but there are no deaf or hard of hearing people living by me.
A group of friends and me want to have name signs so we could practice more on conversations without having to finger-spell each name over and over. Can someone help me by suggesting guild lines or some way to find and make name signs?
P.S. I know it's not great to have name signs without earning them, but we just need temporary ones that we can use between ourselves so we could get better!

beware of playing with another people's <Deaf's> customs.
ASL is a serious part of Deaf culture. There are rules and etiquette that go with name sign; they should be given by Deaf people.

Just use initials instead of name signs.

Hilary Clinton = "H-C"

Donald Trump = "D-T"

I use initials with friends or fs out the full name once and then just the first letter after that. I do this with fast food names too, like tb (taco bell, not to be with actual TB the desease lol)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using AllDeaf App mobile app

I've spoken with many, many, many Deaf people about this very topic. It seems that some mind, some don't. I made a name sign for myself; it's the sign for "smart," followed by "S," as my name begins with that letter.

I suggest doing what you like, while taking into consideration advice from D/deaf/hh people. Application of this advice is entirely up to you. Don't worry about culture until you're actually involved within it, or chatting with a D/deaf/hh person. Otherwise, i think you're free to do whatever.

Last edited:
I think giving your self a name is kind of taboo, I mean someone important gave me mine, my favorite teacher at the deaf school. So although simple it means a lot to me. It's a 'K' curled down my hair, I natural have curly hair and my nickname was curly. I like my name sign because she gave it to me, but I do hate my curls so I straighten my hair all the time.

I think giving your self a name is kind of taboo, I mean someone important gave me mine, my favorite teacher at the deaf school. So although simple it means a lot to me. It's a 'K' curled down my hair, I natural have curly hair and my nickname was curly. I like my name sign because she gave it to me, but I do hate my curls so I straighten my hair all the time.

So what does one do if it's taboo but the individual is not able to regularly get to or interact with the deaf community?

Reba's suggestion of just fingerspelling the initials is probably the best thing to do. When I was first at Gallaudet (after NSP) somebody once did ask me what my name-sign was..."um...."- I never got one during NSP(my teacher was deaf) or after that so was kind of on the spot and had to create my own (a stupid one). I later did get one associated with my nickname from friends I made that year. Haven't used it in years though so back to square 1 no name sign lol.

When people ask just tell them you don't have one. Many people don't have one it's not uncommon. Using initials when talking about other is easiest. When you are talking to someone they will hardly us your name to you. I also have friends that know my name sign but they still spell out my name when talking about me to others that know my name sign. So some don't even use theirs.
So don't worry that you don't have one yet.

Just remember that some name signs are dumb, as my friend found out with hers which was just her name signed in a downward line. But it can be seen as an insult if not used especially when around the person that gave it to you.

Friend of mine used the half moon until explained what lot deaf use it for at least they do in uk it may not be PCs now but was still being used at club the years ago

Names are how we identify ourselves in most (if not all) cultures.
So, why would creating a name sign for oneself be considered taboo?
It's a lot quicker than fingerspelling names and initials.

Also, aren't name signs just like nicknames, albeit usually more personal and/or descriptive than a spoken language's nicknames tend to be?

Yea, I don't mean to offend by the way I just wanted to say that. I personally see it as a name. Most people are given names from parents or family members. Nicknames are the same, someone close to you gives you a nickname, normally not yourself. I am not saying that all nicknames are given by someone close. Some people do give themselves nicknames, or rename themselves. But I feel like a name is given to you by someone who knows you ever well. I am not dogging on anyone that has given themselves a name, I am just stating that I believe it is not as special or significant. The OP can take either advice or neither. I am just answering them.

I was surprised, when I met my Deaf of Deaf cousins, to find out that they have no name signs--I thought all DODs had them, from their parents. Then I found out that's not necessarily so.

beware of playing with another people's <Deaf's> customs.
ASL is a serious part of Deaf culture. There are rules and etiquette that go with name sign; they should be given by Deaf people.
Yep. My sign name is "bald."
Sighhhh

Yep. My sign name is "bald."
Sighhhh

Thanks for the giggle--I needed it. By the way, Beowulf, here's my photo to show I'm laughing with you, not at you.

001.jpg

Thanks for the giggle--I needed it. By the way, Beowulf, here's my photo to show I'm laughing with you, not at you.

001.jpg

Hah, I see we have the same hairstyle. :)
I am glad it made you feel better. I would hate to think my only use would be to stick my head into spaces to light them up.

Well, you look distinguished, Chase.

I do have sign name, but my name is so short that it's got three letters. They like to spell my name rather than a sign name.

Names are how we identify ourselves in most (if not all) cultures.
So, why would creating a name sign for oneself be considered taboo?
It's a lot quicker than fingerspelling names and initials.

Also, aren't name signs just like nicknames, albeit usually more personal and/or descriptive than a spoken language's nicknames tend to be?
Because thats the rules.

Back