Name Sign Systems

Livia98

Reaction score
Hello,

I recently took an ASL 101 class at my local college and I'm writing a paper on how Name Signs are made. I am supposed to write about the three systems of making names signs; origins, examples, and descriptions of each. I am using the book The Book of Name Signs as a reference, but it only lists two systems; Arbitrary and Descriptive. Is there a third name sign system?

Thanks

Maybe this:

". . . A new kind of name sign is showing up in the community probably due to hearing adults learning sign language as a second language. It is a blend of the arbitrary and descriptive name signs also called a nontraditional name sign...."

http://www.lifeprint.com/asl101/pages-layout/namesigns3.htm

Deaf Culture: Namesigns
Rachael Carey
4/29/03
Name Signs

I didn't know there were name sign systems. Just that name signs have to be given to you by the Deaf community, hearing people can't make their own up.

Nontraditional name signs always kind of bother me...

Oh my name sign is just using the letter 'K' for my first name and signed like the sign for tall, because I'm over 6 feet haha I don't know what kind og name sign that would count as.

some sign there name as their personality and some finger spell and some sign there name to abbreviate. :)

Back