N.c. state governor signs bill to allow "deaf" symbol on drivers' licenses

rockin'robin

Reaction score

The Daily Moth
[Transcript] Last Thursday, the North Carolina Governor Roy Cooper (D) signed into law a bill to allow the state’s DMV to add a “deaf” symbol on drivers’ licenses. Deaf people will be able to decide for themselves whether they want it on their licenses or not.

The bill, HB 84, also calls for the establishment of education and training for criminal justice officers and police officers on how to appropriately interact with deaf/hoh people. They will also be trained to recognize the “deaf” symbol on drivers licenses.

The North Carolina Association of the Deaf shared a video filmed by Craig Blevins that showed Gov. Cooper speaking with an ASL interpreter beside him before he signed the bill. He said the law would improve communication between police and the deaf and save lives. Then he signed the bill. Video is in transcript.

This law will be effective Jan 1, 2018.

It is a step forward for North Carolina, who was cast in a negative spotlight after a NC state trooper shot and killed an unarmed Deaf man, Daniel Harris, last year after a high-speed car chase. The officer, Jermaine Saunders, did not face any charges after an investigation said he lawfully fired the weapon after Daniel charged at him holding a metal object. That case sparked many national conversations about interaction between police officers and deaf people. Now you have this bill signed.

Video: http://bit.ly/2uR4HBu

Bill Text: http://www.ncleg.net/Sessions/2017/Bills/House/PDF/H84v7.pdf

Yes! I can only hope that Indiana will not be far behind. Today's atmosphere makes being pulled over by an unsuspecting ( but highly wary) law officer a very stressful situation for the HOH and deaf. I was recently pulled over for having a taillight out. I hadn't pulled over far enough from the highway so the officer was yelling at me from his cruiser to do so. Of course, I couldn't understand what he was saying from behind me so I was yelling back at him that I was HOH........and waving my hands frantically in the air......lol! I can laugh now but it was a very tense situation...for both of us, I'm sure.

Honest. What part of the sign language ninja stuff isn't obvious to people?

Dude at the supermarket sees me signing and starts screaming louder. Imma show him my DL with "Deaf" on it. That oughta set the homeboy straight.

Honest. What part of the sign language ninja stuff isn't obvious to people?

Dude at the supermarket sees me signing and starts screaming louder. Imma show him my DL with "Deaf" on it. That oughta set the homeboy straight.

Nope, it won't help with the clueless people in the store but at least they are less likely to shoot you.

SC has it now and my son was not given an option. I do not know when it began. I am not sure if I like it or not. Thoughts?

Back