My time has come!

Just had a look at the Cochlear Aust site as thats where my CI comes from. I think I will have to start asking more technical questions rather than just going with the flow. Will email a couple of people and see what comes up as you have me worried I may not be getting the best result.

Maybe we better move to my thread rather than hijack Suzie's one here.

I would not worry too much about the strategies - it's likely that as you have the Freedom you'll either be on ACE or Hi Ace. The other speech strategies were used more with older models of CIs.

One bit of technical information I did find useful though was to find out the program speed (ie the refresh rate of the electrical impulses fired to your nerve). I discovered that those who have been born deaf (and actually many post linguals too) do better at slower speeds. I discovered that my audie had me on the highest program speed 2400. So I asked her if I could go down in speed. When I did that, I was very pleased with the difference it made and things sounded a lot more natural.

However, since you have just been activated ask your audie what your program speed is but leave it at that until maybe 12 weeks. Audies seem to take very different approaches. A friend of mine who is also prelingual, was started on a very low program speed and has gradually worked her way up.

Im like RayKat, I have no idea where Im set up at. I was just going with the flow too, assuming the audie will take care of me and knows whats best. All this talk will aide me on next visit. NO you are not hijacking threads, Im glad for the discussion.

Boult - I am sure other will agree that beeping is like sequential firing often used in CIS strategy... It would be good to find out what you are on and try other strategy if allowed. This must be my very first thought about the beeping sounds that I hear all the time indicating the brain is dealing with the implant - accepting new equipment taking the place of the damaged middle ear. ? I told the audie that the sounds are awful and beeping or squeaking. I really dont know how to describe the sound.

Boult - I am sure other will agree that beeping is like sequential firing often used in CIS strategy... It would be good to find out what you are on and try other strategy if allowed. This must be my very first thought about the beeping sounds that I hear all the time indicating the brain is dealing with the implant - accepting new equipment taking the place of the damaged middle ear. ? I told the audie that the sounds are awful and beeping or squeaking. I really dont know how to describe the sound.

Basically what you are hearing is very high pitched sound compared to what you are used to and that's why it comes out like a beep at this point in time. Hearing aids are not as good generally with picking up high frequencies so it can be quite a change for people used to hearing aids.

And yes, you ar right, the brain is dealing with the new way of hearing. Remember, CI sound is completely artificial but which tries to put together the range of sound frequencies, whereas HA sound is an amplification of your natural hearing, which at profound levels is badly damaged at particular frequencies.

Another mapping visit ....

I had another mapping visit yesterday. The mechanical rustling settled down some. I had several oral tests and I got every one of them correct. I did fail the random everyday quotes when Audie covered her mouth. The quacking voices settled just a tad bit and voices still not clear. This morning at work - a woman co-worker called me and I didn't hear my name just a voice and I turned around because I saw someone near me and she said "she still can't hear!!" to other employees .. I almost died! How rude! :Oops:

I was given more homework practice for similar oral testing that I did yesterday. It's about paying attention to words. I did ask about my speech strategies and Audie said I'm on ACE. I wonder how this will help me?

Thank you all for being a part of this journey with me!

I had another mapping visit yesterday. The mechanical rustling settled down some. I had several oral tests and I got every one of them correct. I did fail the random everyday quotes when Audie covered her mouth. The quacking voices settled just a tad bit and voices still not clear. This morning at work - a woman co-worker called me and I didn't hear my name just a voice and I turned around because I saw someone near me and she said "she still can't hear!!" to other employees .. I almost died! How rude! :Oops:
I was given more homework practice for similar oral testing that I did yesterday. It's about paying attention to words. I did ask about my speech strategies and Audie said I'm on ACE. I wonder how this will help me?

Thank you all for being a part of this journey with me!

Yes this is whats getting to me too, everyone expects you to pus plugged in, switched on and suddenly have perfectly normal hearing. I feel like making a CD of the instructions to play for dumb idiots!!!!!......I am so sick of explaining over and over that "No I cant hear without lipreading yet, Yes I can hear voices and multiple other noises, No I can use the phone yet" then almost screaming "will you just leave me alone!!!!!"

Before I had surgery I wrote out a list of things for my work(school) to know. Number one was I did not have magic surgery, I still have to train myself to learn to hear again. I am thankful everyone was so understanding.

My audie is the best. She has never put me in a situation I am uncomfortable with. I did not get homework, but I did ask so many questions on training. She told me to do what I feel comfortable with.

Yeah RayKat - Bummer! Today at work, this same woman was in the back room and the telephone was ringing about at least five times so I called out her name and told her "the phone is ringing!!!" :D

Vallee, your Audie gave you the best advise! :)

Anyone gathering anything from the website?
Cochlear Implant Self-Auditory Rehab tools
Any reccomendations?

Today I heard the first sentence since implant without lip-reading and not expecting. A co-worker asked me "What time do you get off work today?" and I was looking at my shoes but I heard it. Maybe because she has asked me this question in the past?
What is the audiologist's wording term to explain not expecting?

Last edited:
Yeah RayKat - Bummer! Today at work, this same woman was in the back room and the telephone was ringing about at least five times so I called out her name and told her "the phone is ringing!!!" :D

Vallee, your Audie gave you the best advise! :)

Anyone gathering anything from the website?
Cochlear Implant Self-Auditory Rehab tools
Any reccomendations?

Today I heard the first sentence since implant without lip-reading and not expecting. A co-worker asked me "What time do you get off work today?" and I was looking at my shoes but I heard it. Maybe because she has asked me this question in the past?
What is the audiologist's wording term to explain not expecting?

Have just looked at the Coclear site and very interested in trying the online rehab as I live alone so feel I am missing out on conversation. When I am out it is mostly with a crowd and no way can I pick up anythign but babble just yet with everyone yakking at same time.
Has anyone used this service yet and what thoughts on it????

Yes this is whats getting to me too, everyone expects you to pus plugged in, switched on and suddenly have perfectly normal hearing. I feel like making a CD of the instructions to play for dumb idiots!!!!!......I am so sick of explaining over and over that "No I cant hear without lipreading yet, Yes I can hear voices and multiple other noises, No I can use the phone yet" then almost screaming "will you just leave me alone!!!!!"

Ha, ha. One hearing guy expected me to instantly understand songs on the radio as soon as I got activated. I get uncomfortable when people tell my CI is a miracle.. it's like they expect me to hear normally.

It happened again! Getting out of my car yesterday, my CI grabbed onto the inside of the car door frame at the top of the window!

Going for another mapping today. I hope this adjustment makes voices sound more clear and human. All sounds of things surrounded me are clear except voices and music. If I can just get better with this part of it, I"ll be fine.

It happened again! Getting out of my car yesterday, my CI grabbed onto the inside of the car door frame at the top of the window!

Going for another mapping today. I hope this adjustment makes voices sound more clear and human. All sounds of things surrounded me are clear except voices and music. If I can just get better with this part of it, I"ll be fine.

Processing speeds do seem to help one hear better. on my 2nd mapping I was given 3 maps with different processing speeds so I could listen with both and choose two that I felt were best. Next mapping I was given those 2 plus another if I really didn't like either of those. I went from 1200 to I think it's actually set at 500 now. :) I guess I thought that that was the way the first few maps went for everyone...after reading responses here I guess I was wrong. Tho I do know on another list some found results much better after lowering processing speeds.

Good luck with your new mapping. Hope you find something that helps you hear even more.

well Suzi you must be up close and personal with your car....:giggle: My Ci has never attached itself to anything but my head.

Voices are still weird for me too, other things are fine, keys tapping, micro beeping etc etc, just voices can be a blur specially if more than one person speaking at once.

Update - 3rd mapping ...

I'm doing pretty good after the 3rd mapping. Two awesome moments after Tuesday -

Yesterday while driving to a doctor's appointment, I stopped at the gas station to visit my son's friends wife who works there. All the years I've known her, I couldn't understand her to save my life. I could never read her lips nor hear her and it's bad that I would just smile or make polite statements to her. I decided to stop in to visit her to determine how I could deal with her after the CI. I'm so glad that I remembered her and my problems with this person in particular. She talked to me for ten minutes straight non-stop and I heard every single word she said! Nope, still can't read her lips! :) I kept my eyes on her face and every once in awhile I could pick up a vowel here or there but not solid lip-reading. I'm thrilled about this!

Today while driving home, I decided to play an old CD of mine - John Denver. I closed windows but left the sunroof open because the A/C is noisy. Taking my time, I skipped through all of the tracks but couldn't follow until the song "Sunshine on my shoulder" came on. I was able to recognize the song and follow the words on the first phrase. :D Tears were rolling down my face. :) Music has always been a part of my life.
When I got home, I looked at my CI aid, I had it on the wrong program - #2 noisy background for restaurant work. Next time I will change it to Whisper program. :)

One of the problems that I have with the programs is; without taking off the CI aid, I can not keep track of which program I'm set at. I noticed that I just keep changing the programs when people talk to me, trying to locate the best one to hear people's conversations. Anyone else have this?

SuziMaria,

Congratulations on your CI moments! :) To answer your question, the Freedom has beep tones which indicate what program you're on. For example, one beep indicates program 1, two beeps indicates program 2, etc. Since you're newly activated, you may not be able to hear the beeps yet. (It took me a few months before I could hear them and my audi told me that this isn't uncommon for many CI users.) You can also have your audi change the frequency of the beeps to make them easier to hear.

My CI date is March 18th - I have so many mixed feelings;
nervous, worried, scared, excited, dreaming of better hearing, improving
quality of life, teary eyes, happy, eager, the list is endless.

I have been reading so many threads here at All-deaf. The more that I
read, the more I want the same successful results. Thank you all for
sharing your journey's with us here online.

Wishing you the best, :)

SuziMaria,

Congratulations on your CI moments! :) To answer your question, the Freedom has beep tones which indicate what program you're on. For example, one beep indicates program 1, two beeps indicates program 2, etc. Since you're newly activated, you may not be able to hear the beeps yet. (It took me a few months before I could hear them and my audi told me that this isn't uncommon for many CI users.) You can also have your audi change the frequency of the beeps to make them easier to hear.

Same here. I didn't realize they existed until a couple months. Before that, it was highly aggravating trying to "remember" what program I was on.

I'm glad you are enjoying your cochlear implant, SuziMaria. Congratulation too. :)

SuziMaria,

I didn't get the beeps for a few months after I was first activated and it turned out that my audie had forgotten to customize it so that I could hear the beeps. I find them extremely useful for identifying which program I have.

I didn't get the beeps for a few months after I was first activated and it turned out that my audie had forgotten to customize it so that I could hear the beeps. I find them extremely useful for identifying which program I have.

R2D2,

That's something I never thought about!

Like you, I also find the beep tones helpful in identifying each program particularly because I cannot see to do this visually.

For SuziMaria's information: There are also beep tones when the Freedom is turned on and off. When the Freedom is turned on, you will hear the number of beeps which correspond to the program it was last set to. When the Freedom is turned off, there will only be a single beep.

Back