My time has come!

why are my messages showing so sloppy? LOL!

Congrats Suzimarie, you are just a wee bit behind me in this new adventure. I was implanted on 10th March and get activated next Monday on 31st. Cant wait for that, 3 weeks has never seemed so long.

Looks like Raykat will be activated today! :D

well yesterday actually as we are a day ahead of you. Had second mapping this morning. Will put details on my thread, Grannies CI Diary

What date is your activation? cant find it anywhere in your thread.

My activation date is Thursday April 3rd and second appointment is Friday April 4th. :)

Its Thursday here now but I guess you gotta wait a bit longer. Good luck and happy travelling to your appointment Suzi. Hugs.:cuddle:

Update ... Im just so looking forward to the next mapping! The sounds are awful like a factory machinery or ducks or mechanical. I just don't know how to describe these sounds. My instructions for the week are to change from program 1 every few hours to the next program up to # 4. Changing the programs is not big deal as I can handle it but sure sounds LOUD and just awful. Will it always be this way? The other thing the audiologists wants my son to read a story to me this week. She said it's okay to lip read but try to pay attention to the words.
Today in my car, my friend was talking on the cell phone and I heard him say the last four numbers of my home phone number and my last name. :) I wasn't expecting it nor lip reading. I do hear everything in the car; the seat belt bell, the blinkers, and the key in ignition. In the house I heard the phone ring in another room when the TV was off. These are the low sounds which Im grateful for. The loud sounds like the dog barking is not normal sounds - it sounds mechanical or something.
My next mapping is Thursday. What can I expect on the second visit?

Yes, it's normal for it to sound terrible on switch on and it sounds to me as if you have made a good start as starts with CIs go. Most of us experienced the same as what you are experiencing now. It will get better and sound more natural as you go through each map and increase the quality of the map. I believe it won't be until 12 weeks past activation (and maybe later) that you will start to plateau.

Also your brain will start getting used to the loud sounds and it may be possible that by the time you have your next map, you will be wanting more volume. With CIs loudness is very much about perception.

Can't say what to expect on the second mapping as I've noticed that audiologists take very different approaches. Some go slowly and softly. Some rev you up. It's interesting that you have instructions to use different programs - I didn't have that.

Did you or anyone have the beeping sounds constanly? It's 95% of the time it sounds like beeping. I thought this might be the brain's nerves working. Its' just so LOUD that it's nearly impossible to hear whats going on around me.

Did you or anyone have the beeping sounds constanly? It's 95% of the time it sounds like beeping. I thought this might be the brain's nerves working. Its' just so LOUD that it's nearly impossible to hear whats going on around me.

I think the beeping may be actual sounds. I have stopped and listened for the beeping and when nothing is happening they stop, only to start up again whenever I do something or someone speaks.

Yes I got that too and if you read Raykat's she is getting this. However, for me they turned into high pitched voices and then into more natural sounding voices. Sounds horrible doesn't it? LOL!

I think the beeping may be actual sounds. I have stopped and listened for the beeping and when nothing is happening they stop, only to start up again whenever I do something or someone speaks.

Yes that is correct. The brain needs time to be able to interpret the sound more naturally and that will come as the maps improve.

just wondering what speech strategy are you set to? CIS?
(Cochlear Implant Central - Speech Strategies)

Well, I started with Hi Ace 2400 but then settled comfortably at Ace 900. With the second CI, I told the Audie to start me at 900 and like that. She thinks that those who were born hearing prefer faster program speeds but I've noticed on CI that there are an awful lot of post linguals who love 900.

I believe with AB it's the other way? People tend to prefer faster programs?

Well, I started with Hi Ace 2400 but then settled comfortably at Ace 900. With the second CI, I told the Audie to start me at 900 and like that. She thinks that those who were born hearing prefer faster program speeds but I've noticed on CI that there are an awful lot of post linguals who love 900.

I believe with AB it's the other way? People tend to prefer faster programs?
whooops my post was meant for raykat sorry :D

whooops my post was meant for raykat sorry :D

Mmmmmm....technical questions send me scurrying for my folder to check latest mapping. Not sure how to read these things but here goes. So far I have 4 programs, soft, med and loud with a "party" program as I complanined about the sensory overload after a rowdy weekend! I see that under the column marked strategy the audie has put none, so maybe I am not far enough advanced yet to strategise????? I have nucleus freedom set on vol 7 and sens. 10, if thats any help.

Mmmmmm....technical questions send me scurrying for my folder to check latest mapping. Not sure how to read these things but here goes. So far I have 4 programs, soft, med and loud with a "party" program as I complanined about the sensory overload after a rowdy weekend! I see that under the column marked strategy the audie has put none, so maybe I am not far enough advanced yet to strategise????? I have nucleus freedom set on vol 7 and sens. 10, if thats any help.
I see... okay.. considering you are using Freedom, Cochlear's website only said "SmartSound" Cochlear Americas: Nucleus Freedom with SmartSound

Oh I found this on Cochlear's
Cochlear Australia & NZ: Nucleus® Freedom™ Speech Coding Strategies

I am sure other will agree that beeping is like sequential firing often used in CIS strategy... It would be good to find out what you are on and try other strategy if allowed.

I am not a Cochlear but a AB user though :) just wondering

I see... okay.. considering you are using Freedom, Cochlear's website only said "SmartSound" Cochlear Americas: Nucleus Freedom with SmartSound

Oh I found this on Cochlear's
Cochlear Australia & NZ: Nucleus® Freedom™ Speech Coding Strategies

I am sure other will agree that beeping is like sequential firing often used in CIS strategy... It would be good to find out what you are on and try other strategy if allowed.

I am not a Cochlear but a AB user though :) just wondering

Just had a look at the Cochlear Aust site as thats where my CI comes from. I think I will have to start asking more technical questions rather than just going with the flow. Will email a couple of people and see what comes up as you have me worried I may not be getting the best result.

Maybe we better move to my thread rather than hijack Suzie's one here.

Back