My thoughts on Deaf Education

Status
Not open for further replies.
Life and age are full of uncertainties, however one thing that's certain is the above is not applicable to anyone that commented on this forum, at least not the biggest hag here.

actually a few that is applicable :p:wave:

Do you think you are offending me with the old jokes? It just shows that you have a very low level of maturity.:laugh2: Surely someone as smart as you claim to be can do better than that!

I tried treating you with the intelligence of a high schooler, but it didn't fare well, so I have to bend down really low to your level.

I tried treating you with the intelligence of a high schooler, but it didn't fare well, so I have to bend down really low to your level.

I think you greatly underestimate her intelligence.

WOW. I'm speechless... So many childish remarks in this thread.

Sheila, you have really changed a lot lately. And I certainly don't like it, not one bit. I think your boyfriend can tell.

Shushugah, you need to back off with your superiority. You are crossing too many lines here and you are still a little nOOb. Why don't you go to an actual deaf event here in NYC/LI and see what deaf culture is all about? Or are you just afraid that we'd pop your little bubble of "Look at me, I'm special!"

We should definitely make a scrapbook of all your posts for you to look back in 20 years. You'll think to yourself, "What was I thinking? I was a stupid little kid."

Do you think you are offending me with the old jokes? It just shows that you have a very low level of maturity.:laugh2: Surely someone as smart as you claim to be can do better than that!

Then you should have thought of that before you go off calling us young with all of its negative connotations in the first place. And no, I'm not really offended. Just pointing out the hypocrisy of your words.

I think you greatly underestimate her intelligence.

I sincerely hope that's the case, :P I was going to sell her brain on Ebay, for the highest price ever paid in living history, because hers is clearly mint and never used.

It didn't work because I am so far above you.:wave: I can't regress back to that stage you are stuck in.

Then you should have thought of that before you go off calling us young with all of its negative connotations in the first place. And no, I'm not really offended. Just pointing out the hypocrisy of your words.

Since when does young have a negative connotation?

And what is the problem with telling the truth? Your little buddy is an adolescent. That is just a fact. And it is also a fact that his frontal lobe has not developed completely, nor will it for several years.

And, I suppose, the same could be said of you.

I am going to meet you in person honey, during the deaf meet up. Make your judgments then,

Gawd. Not just a twerp, but a little sexist, too.:lol: You need to wait until they drop before you go there.:giggle:

If y'all actually care about deaf education, why don't you try talking about, say, deaf education, instead of flaming each other?

If y'all actually care about deaf education, why don't you try talking about, say, deaf education, instead of flaming each other?

We tried that. The kids' parents won't put them to bed so we can.

We tried that. The kids' parents won't put them to bed so we can.

And you'd rather argue with a teenager than having anything new to say yourself.... It's not strictly necessary to attend every argument to which you're invited.

And you'd rather argue with a teenager than having anything new to say yourself.... It's not strictly necessary to attend every argument to which you're invited.

Don't worry, this time, all of these posts are on topic. We are talking about deaf education. And we have a few deaf students showing off their education.

Conclusion?

Deaf education is something that we need to work on. :D

Hmmm, now that's a really sensible post for once, :) I vote this the best post amongst all the posts here.

Hmmmm, yes top college is not the most important thing in life, because for most, it simply a means to getting a good job, and even then, a good job is not a necessity for the pursuit of happiness.

The amount of HoH people is over 30,000,000. That's about 10% of the US population, so 22,500 isn't too much, but this brings on the new debate, is college important?

I do know quite a few deaf people in my family, and friends without employment, because they are either low skills or have little training. That is why a college education is general an important thing, Agreed, aye? Nay?
over 30 million? eh? show me how many of these are above the age of 65.....

Don't worry, this time, all of these posts are on topic. We are talking about deaf education. And we have a few deaf students showing off their education.

Conclusion?

Deaf education is something that we need to work on. :D

:laugh2:

Interesting article here on the number of deaf students in higher education:

http://jdsde.oxfordjournals.org/content/7/4/267.full.pdf

The authors state that there are about 25,000 deaf (including hard-of-hearing) students in U.S. universities, and a few paragraphs later gives the number for Gallaudent and RIT, which amount to slightly more than 10% of the total number. That is a lot, you'd have to admit. Still, that means roughly 90% of deaf students, about 22,500 or so, are in other schools.

An interesting point a bit further on in the article is the reason why many deaf students drop out: inability to decide on a major. Probably many non-deaf drop out for that reason, too.

I would guess that you are right, shushugah, that there are not many deaf students in the highest-ranked schools. However, in my opinion, that might not be so terrible. Better to complete a degree in an average institution than be overwhelmed and drop out of a first-tier one.

If you finish your degree at MIT (is that where you are going?), then kudos to you for that, because that will be a wonderful accomplishment. Not many people, hearing or deaf, will be able to do that. I hope you do well.

Beach girl is the only one of you guys to contribute posts regarding this, and hence I consider this a high quality post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back