My story

karap

Reaction score
Hi my name is Kara. I'm 25 years old. I'm hard of hearing in both my ears. My right ear has moderate hearing loss and left ear has mild hearing loss. My Family suspected I had hearing loss when I was 16. After I wheled up in the ER. It turned out I had mastoiditist. The ER Doctor paged the otolaryngologist. A week after that I had a follow up and a hearing test it turned out I have Conductive hearing loss.

Hi Kara. My name is Brooke and I am 20 years old. I have bilateral hearing loss and have been HOH since birth.

That is difficult to have lost some of your hearing to mastoiditis.

Are you a doppleganger? I coulda sworn you were already well-established in here.

Sorry, karap, I will never call you names again. :)

Hello Kara! I’m glad that you are sharing your hearing loss with us. You are not the only one here. I’ve been deaf since birth due to rubella that damaged my nerve in both of my ear. My right ear is good with about half of hearing. I do wear a hearing aid in my right ear and can speak well (many think that I’m hearing but I’m not! ) How do you feel since you lost your hearing at age 16? Do you wear a hearing aid or cochlear implant? I look forward to hear from you.

God’s blessings

Well I felt pretty lonely until I got 2 parakeet friends. No I don't have hearing aids or cochlear implants

Last edited:
Hi Kara, it’s good to hear from you. I do understand how you feel. Just remember you are not the only one here. You are here for a purpose. You are NOT alone and I’m here to support and be willing to listen to you. Smile. Do you think having a hearing aid would help you? I see that you said you don’t wear it included cochear implant.

I used to have cockatiel birds when I was a teenager. They sure have personality and very active birds!

Have you try and meet other deaf and hard of hearing people at an event, deaf club or something like that? Someone who could support you?

Keeping you in my prayers.

Hi Kara, it’s good to hear from you. I do understand how you feel. Just remember you are not the only one here. You are here for a purpose. You are NOT alone and I’m here to support and be willing to listen to you. Smile. Do you think having a hearing aid would help you? I see that you said you don’t wear it included cochear implant.

I used to have cockatiel birds when I was a teenager. They sure have personality and very active birds!

Have you try and meet other deaf and hard of hearing people at an event, deaf club or something like that? Someone who could support you?

Keeping you in my prayers.
Well I'm taking a sign language class though the college where I live. One of my classmates is deaf or hard of hearing.

That’s awesome Kara! I’m glad to hear that you have your deaf/hh classmate to support you. Having a support and encouragement are important. I’m curious what are you studying in college?

How’s your family communication? I mean do you both communicate with signs or oralism? What’s your background in faith?

God’s blessings

Hallo Kara. Thank you for sharing your story. And just remember that we are in this together and we appreciate you :)

hi all!!
My name is heather. I'm a hearing mother with a daughter who was born with bilateral sensorineural hearing loss. at the age of 19 months she was implanted on her right side with a cochlear implant. I understand me not being deaf I should be on here but where I live I don't really see people getting together for other deaf people. I would love to talk more to people for advice on how to relate to her during stressful times.
she's 5 years old now and she is the only one with a hearing loss. Well my mother now that she is older is losing her hearing and wears hearing aids. so she can relate sort of to my daughter.

its nice to meet everyone, I hope we can continue chatting!!

Kara, it’s good to hear from you. That’s great you have a goal to become a CNA! I mean that’s if you do decide to pursue it. You can do it! I am myself a caregiver for the elderly people. I had some deaf clients. I took some CNA courses for a brief time. One of the things that I like about being a caregiver is that I get to communiciate with deaf clients with ASL. It makes things so much easier. I love it! They happened to be from our church which is another benefit and that’s sharing faith with them.

Heather, I’m glad that you found this site and welcome to alldeaf! I am myself deaf and a mom to my 17 years old son. Have you check out your state about having a family conference? Here is the link.

http://wesp-dhh.wi.gov/outreach/eventstrainings/familyconference/

If you are living closer, I would highly recommend that you attend to this conference. You will learn a lot! Trust me! I was a volunteer for a few times for them. I used to take care of the children while the parents attend to the conference and meeting new people.

Also another suggestion. Have you thought about having a deaf mentor to work with your daughter and her parents? Again check out that same link that I gave it to you but look under “Deaf Mentor Program.” I am not sure where you live but you would have to check it out in your home state. Each state is different with what they have to offer. It won’t hurt to try it.

Just remember you are not alone! We are supporting each other and each parent have their own struggles with their deaf or hearing children.

Kara and Heather, you are both in my prayers!

Is there any BSL sign language Crouse in UK because my Markton sign language isn't appect in volunteering job

Back