My Step Son is Deaf

barryadair

Reaction score
Hello I am Barry Adair, I am not deaf but my step son who lives with us is, we live in Fort Worth, Texas
Cody is a 31 year old male that is divorced, he has a 5 year old son that is important thing in his life

toby.jpg

This past weekend Cody had a real problem, most of it is explained here on CHANNEL 11 in Fort Worth

On Saturday September 29, 2007 Cody Goodnight, a 31 year old deaf male went to the Family Dollar Store located at Lancaster and Oakland in Fort Worth, to get a couple of 2 liter sodas, after he obtained the sodas he proceeded to the check out at the front of the store, since Cody is deaf and has been since the age of two, if he does not know you he avoids talking because some people give him funny looks when they can not understand him, he put the 2 sodas on the counter and the man in the checkout scanned them, the bill was two dollars and some change Cody handed the clerk a $5.00 bill, the clerk got Cody's change and threw it on the floor instead of handing it to Cody, at this point Cody told him to pick it up, he did not so Cody bent over and was picking his change up, at this time the clerk, picked up what Cody said looked like a axe handle, later the police found out it was a tire knocker, that truck drivers use to check the tires on the trucks, and proceeded to hit Cody in the head, at JPS they said Cody had a contusion, the police came to JPS and took a report, later that day the officer called Cody's Mom and told her the man was in jail, Sunday morning a detective called and ask if he brought some mug shots over could Cody pick out the person that had assaulted him and was told yes, he came over took another report, and had Cody ID the mug shot, he also said the man was charged with aggravated assault, and that he had told the officers what he had used to hit Cody, and also said the reason was because Cody did not talk to him, he thought Cody was being dis-respecful to him.

Can you provide us with a transcript of the video since most of us here on AD are deaf. I watched it but couldnt understand what was being said due to no CC. Thanks!

Cody Goodnight

Can you provide us with a transcript of the video since most of us here on AD are deaf. I watched it but couldnt understand what was being said due to no CC. Thanks!

Yes, sorry I do not have a transcript, but after I posted it I thought about that and posted what I have it explains it to a point

It could happen to some deaf people like that... and, even got shot from the cop who thought that the deaf person/s don't stop from runnin' when the cop told a deaf person/s to stop. Gee - deaf people need somethin' to do about it. Of course, some police departments have their own trainin' for sign language to teach rookies/senority cops. They should have done it loooong time ago.

I think this guy was looking for an excuse to assault someone. Most people dont beat up other people like that simply because the other person didnt respond using their voices.

What does everyone think

Wow - that is scary! :eek3: I have had many sales or service people giving me glares or say What is your problem, etc when I dont respond to them when in stores. etc.

Sometimes I feel like I should walk around with a sign DEAF on my back! :giggle:

Jeez - my heart goes out to your step son. *hugs*

Wow :eek3: This is so sad, I can not believe some people would do this, I think people keep forgetting that not everyone can hear, I'm really sorry to hear this had happened to your step son, my heart goes out to you both :hug:

Okay, guys....I listened to the video, and here is a written transcript for you!

There is a lot of reaction to a story we first reported last night at 10:00. A Fort Worth store clerk is accused of striking a customer who he thought was acting disrespectfully. It turned out the customer as deaf. Carol Cavalos is live at the store where it all allegedly happened. Carol?

Reporter speaking: This weekend a store clerk inside this Family Dollar store in the 3100 block of East Lancaster reportedly got mad at a customer, threw his change on the floor, and then clubbed him! Other customers couldn’t believe it!

Woman outside speaking: Whoa! Are you serious?

Reporter speaking: Mayra Munoz couldn’t believe what happened.

Mayra speaking: Are you kidding? I’m not going over there! Because if they, if they treated somebody like that, you know, that is, that is wrong!
Reporter speaking: This Family Dollar clerk, Ricky Young, allegedly hit a customer over the head with a club Saturday because he felt “dissed”. The customer, Cody Goodnight, is deaf.

Cody speaking: He hit me, I almost fell.

Cody’s mother speaking: You almost fell?

Reporter speaking: He is still hurt and upset about it. His mother, in other ways.

Kay Goodnight speaking: It just makes me hurt because I wonder what’s going to happen to him after I’m not here anymore.

Emily Robinson speaking: Where in the world does that come from? I mean, that’s what we need to teach people. We’re just like you.

Reporter speaking: The Goodrich Center of Fort Worth helps the deaf, but in this case, has offered to help the hearing.

Emily Robinson speaking: I’d be willing to contact Family Dollar to do sensitivity training, like I said, for free.

Reporter speaking: That could make for more satisfied customers. The headquarters, located in North Carolina, say they are conducting an internal investigation. Live in Fort Worth, Carol Cavalos for CBS 11 news.

That's scary. The cashier should be ashamed of himself for hitting the deaf man like that.

Okay, guys....I listened to the video, and here is a written transcript for you!

There is a lot of reaction to a story we first reported last night at 10:00. A Fort Worth store clerk is accused of striking a customer who he thought was acting disrespectfully. It turned out the customer as deaf. Carol Cavalos is live at the store where it all allegedly happened. Carol?

Reporter speaking: This weekend a store clerk inside this Family Dollar store in the 3100 block of East Lancaster reportedly got mad at a customer, threw his change on the floor, and then clubbed him! Other customers couldn’t believe it!

Mayra speaking: Are you kidding? I’m not going over there! Because if they, if they treated somebody like that, you know, that is, that is wrong!
Reporter speaking: This Family Dollar clerk, Ricky Young, allegedly hit a customer over the head with a club Saturday because he felt “dissed”. The customer, Cody Goodnight, is deaf.

Reporter speaking: He is still hurt and upset about it. His mother, in other ways.

Kay Goodnight speaking: It just makes me hurt because I wonder what’s going to happen to him after I’m not here anymore.

Emily Robinson speaking: Where in the world does that come from? I mean, that’s what we need to teach people. We’re just like you.

Reporter speaking: The Goodrich Center of Fort Worth helps the deaf, but in this case, has offered to help the hearing.

Emily Robinson speaking: I’d be willing to contact Family Dollar to do sensitivity training, like I said, for free.

Reporter speaking: That could make for more satisfied customers. The headquarters, located in North Carolina, say they are conducting an internal investigation. Live in Fort Worth, Carol Cavalos for CBS 11 news.

thanks for explain to us.. wow! it so awful!

Thanks for the transcript

The way I type that would have taken hours, The reporter Carol Cavalos, has been super nice to us she calls daily even if they are not going to do a report on that day, she also said that the calls have been coming in to the station, people concerned about this.
When Family Dollars Main Office finally called her back they told her no one was hit, she in turn ask well why is your employee in jail charged with Aggravated Assault with a deadly weapon, and Cody has big lumps on his head.
Toby, Cody's son was with me at the time we were at the Dixie House Cafe having breakfast, or he would have been with his dad at Family Dollar when this happened

The way I type that would have taken hours, The reporter Carol Cavalos, has been super nice to us she calls daily even if they are not going to do a report on that day, she also said that the calls have been coming in to the station, people concerned about this.
When Family Dollars Main Office finally called her back they told her no one was hit, she in turn ask well why is your employee in jail charged with Aggravated Assault with a deadly weapon, and Cody has big lumps on his head

Wow! I can't believe they are denying it ever happened! I am so sorry for Cody! I have a deaf son, as well, and this kind of stuff just pisses me off!

No problem on the trascript. Glad I could help in some small way. The Deaf community really needs to band together on these kinds of issues. If it can happen to one deaf person, it can happen to any deaf person.

Thanks for the transcript, Jillo.

Geez, I still think this man has some voilent tendencies and would have assault anyone who "dissed" him whether deaf or hearing. I dont think he cares if your stepson was deaf and couldnt talk. I think he wanted a reason to assault someone. I saw the pic of the guy..he looks like a thug. Now, Family Dollar is denying anyone was hit? WTF?

I am sorry that your stepson was put through this. It is horrible!

Sheesh! That's terrible. Now He won't feel as secure anymore about being out in public place. I hope he'll be ok.

he should wore t-shirt that said...

"I'm deaf! Quit talk to me!"

That make me want to design t-shirt :D

One of my friend who know Cody.. That's so terrible!

Back