My Song | Story of a girl stuck between the hearing and Deaf worlds

AJWSmith

Reaction score
Just came across this video which had me in tears :'(
BSLBT > British Sign Language Broadcasting Trust > My Song

Here's the blurb about this video:

A thought-provoking drama about deaf identity

A young deaf girl learns sign language to try and find herself, but instead becomes caught between the deaf and hearing worlds

My Song is the debut drama from C&B Films, a new production company headed by director William Mager and scriptwriter Charlie Swinbourne, aiming to tell stories that express deaf culture in an original, compelling way.

Starring Lara Steward, My Song is a coming of age story which follows Ellen, a young deaf girl stuck in the middle of the deaf and hearing worlds. Feeling as if she doesn’t fit in, Ellen learns sign language, attempting to enter the deaf world by taking part in a sign song competition in London.

I saw it three days ago - the scene when she comes home and destroys her room, made me cry. Been there myself.

I saw it three days ago - the scene when she comes home and destroys her room, made me cry. Been there myself.

DeafCaroline, I read your story elsewhere on AllDeaf and when I watched this film yesterday it reminded me a little of your experience at camp.

My sister who was raised as an oral deafie like me told me that she had similar experiences when she started learning BSL and attending Deaf social events here in the UK. But she said the message at the end not give up is so important and that she met individuals like Ben who encouraged her after bruising encounters.

Oh, geeze, yes. I can imagine. There is a scene from the movie, Mr. Holland's Opus, when mother and son are having diffuculty communicating, and both end up crying and yelling from frustration. It brings tears to my eyes everytime, as I can remmy a few scenes like that when my son was small.

Oh, geeze, yes. I can imagine. There is a scene from the movie, Mr. Holland's Opus, when mother and son are having diffuculty communicating, and both end up crying and yelling from frustration. It brings tears to my eyes everytime, as I can remmy a few scenes like that when my son was small.

That's an amazing film that never fails to bring tears to my eyes :tears:

Of course every family is different, yet I can relate to the same frustrations she faced with other people. I have had people do that silly hand-wiggling at me when I started learning sign too. It's interesting that Ellen had been learning for 2 years. That's exactly the same time period for me right now.

Thanks AWS for sharing this. I am going to show it to my kids today.

That's an amazing film that never fails to bring tears to my eyes :tears:

Yes. It is a classic in my eyes. And gave such a wonderful portrayal of the family dynamics in a hearing family with a deaf child. Quite realistic.

Jillio- "when mother and son are having diffuculty communicating, and both end up crying and yelling from frustration...as I can remmy a few scenes like that when my son was small."

- my mother and me too! My god, the stories I could tell you of my temper tantrums and my mother ripping her hair out. She said I was an absolute holy terror at times.

AJW - yeah, so true.

I will watch this when I come back from the farm this afternoon. Looks very interesting!

I think the person who becomes TOTALLY Deaf, is the real person sitting on the wall not knowing what to do, no hearing aids NOTHING.....she does have a choice...hearing aids or NO H.Aids.....

I think the person who becomes TOTALLY Deaf, is the real person sitting on the wall not knowing what to do, no hearing aids NOTHING.....she does have a choice...hearing aids or NO H.Aids.....

Have you met KristinaB and drphil? You are not alone! :wave:

Gee, does this mean I should be sitting on a wall and doing nothing? I think not. Just because I am total deaf, does not mean I am a bump on a wall. I am a living viable human being whether I can hear or not. I am a productive member of society whether I can hear or not. There are certain limitations, to being total deaf, but they do not define me. It's called acceptance on your part. If you can accept yourself as you are, then you will be able to go farther in life as a happier person.

Gee, does this mean I should be sitting on a wall and doing nothing? I think not. Just because I am total deaf, does not mean I am a bump on a wall. I am a living viable human being whether I can hear or not. I am a productive member of society whether I can hear or not. There are certain limitations, to being total deaf, but they do not define me. It's called acceptance on your part. If you can accept yourself as you are, then you will be able to go farther in life as a happier person.

I have the idea he is very new to his stone deaf state. I see a lot of negativity every time he posts.

Maybe in time he will come to the point of taking his life in hand, but he may have to work through his bitterness first.

I have the idea he is very new to his stone deaf state. I see a lot of negativity every time he posts.

Maybe in time he will come to the point of taking his life in hand, but he may have to work through his bitterness first.

Yeah maybe so, but I still felt like I should validate myself, sorry. Maybe I came across too harsh. I have had now 5 years to get used to this being total deaf. Rockin Robin has had a lot longer and I think she's doing wonderfully well as well.

Yeah maybe so, but I still felt like I should validate myself, sorry. Maybe I came across too harsh. I have had now 5 years to get used to this being total deaf. Rockin Robin has had a lot longer and I think she's doing wonderfully well as well.

I don't think you were harsh. My husband's grandfather was stone deaf and he lived to 96. He was a happy cattle farmer who made everything work for him.

He sent the dogs by sign to round up the cattle, raised three children, traveled the country, and was tough as shoe leather.

Deaf grandparents of mine just lived life too.

Well Botresini in the end how one's deals with the fact of becoming deaf is "up to you"-regress into passivity/helplessness vs trying to get a Cochlear Implant ( if suitable) OR learn ASL forthwith.
I have been bilateral deaf since December 20, 2006

As I understand my user name thoughts: Put verbs into your sentences. His Life Law #5

Implanted Sunnybrook/Toronto Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

Well Botresini in the end how one's deals with the fact of becoming deaf is "up to you"-regress into passivity/helplessness vs trying to get a Cochlear Implant ( if suitable) OR learn ASL forthwith.
I have been bilateral deaf since December 20, 2006

As I understand my user name thoughts: Put verbs into your sentences. His Life Law #5

Implanted Sunnybrook/Toronto Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

Yes. Just sitting there whining is not going to help, but we can't force him to stop.

Back