My son is getting a CI

BTW - You guys can thank HHIssues for me stinking up this thread. :)

CI Circle is a huge support. It is full of practical and TRUE advice.

Exactly and I guess its is posters like yizwhatever that motivate me to remain here just to make certain that there are some of us to refute these lies and to point people to resources that will assist parents in their decisions.

Rick

I still wonder about that... its much much much bigger than the circle of heart attack supporters..

Apparently hearing is more important than living..

WTF? No, but there are more technical issues with living with kind of hardware everyday than surviving a heart attack. I don't think a lot of heart attack survivors need to ask for advice and recommendations. Also, it is easier to find local support through a hospital for a heart attack than a child implanted with a CI.

Why do you make such outrageous statements? Is it to alienate and offend. No reasonable person would believe the BS you just spewed.

WTF? No, but there are more technical issues with living with kind of hardware everyday than surviving a heart attack. I don't think a lot of heart attack survivors need to ask for advice and recommendations. Also, it is easier to find local support through a hospital for a heart attack than a child implanted with a CI.

Why do you make such outrageous statements? Is it to alienate and offend. No reasonable person would believe the BS you just spewed.
Its true... Think about Pacemakers, Heartmate II, etc....

Also, why do you try to make things go against the grain here? Two can duel it out.. I have enough energy, just like you.

yeah this forum is about deaf and a form of hearing loss people have their expereinces here.

Its true...

Also, why do you try to make things go against the grain here? Two can duel it out.. I have enough energy, just like you.

Because I think it is stupid to be insulated, close minded and ignorant. Did you see Yiz's post? Complete stupidity. Why should that idiocy remain unchallenged?

Exactly and I guess its is posters like yizwhatever that motivate me to remain here just to make certain that there are some of us to refute these lies and to point people to resources that will assist parents in their decisions.

Rick

Will you do the same for us when people make lies about the deaf community... like they don't associate with hearing people even those they have hearing families , children, and even friends?

So hearing people should leave?
huh what are you talking about? Rick said that he knows moderator would not remove the anti ci user posts here. Of course this forum is about for deaf and hearing loss issues.

if i post something bad about ci on CI forum then it would be proper for the moderators to remove my posts. but not here. I want to speak my mind about anything related with deaf issues.

"90% Rate
Various statistics concerning the deaf | DEAF-INFO

There was a question from where the 90% Deaf-Deaf Marriage rate came
from. The following statistics are from "The Deaf Population of the
United States," by Jerome Schein and Marcus Delk, published in 1974 by
the NAD.

I don't know from the limited information how the sample of over a
thousand deaf people were drawn from, but the satistics are as
follows:

Married Males deafened under the age of 3:
82% had deaf spouses 7% had hard of hearing spouses

Married Males deafened at the age of 3-18:
77% had deaf spouses 6% had hard of hearing spouses

Married Females deafened under the age of 3:
86% had deaf spouses 6% had hard of hearing spouses

Married Females deafened at the age of 3-18:
65% had deaf spouses 9% had hard of hearing spouses

Schein also noted that the divorce rates were far higher for marriages
in which one spouse is hearing than for those in which both are deaf."

A 1974 article? Very outdated.

I also think as more deaf people assimilating in the hearing world cause more hearing parents are having deaf children. But that doesn't prove they don't associate with hearing people or don't have hearing kids. And that divorce rate on hearing/deaf relationship proves they do associate with them. They probably just have a hard time getting people to understand where they are coming from

84%..if the article says so. Curious, how is it relevant to Elliot's Dad's decision to get him a CI? Iam lost here because I am using my pager now. Did Elliot's dad say something about him marrying another deaf person in the future?

84%..if the article says so. Curious, how is it relevant to Elliot's Dad's decision to get him a CI? Iam lost here because I am using my pager now. Did Elliot's dad say something about him marrying another deaf person in the future?

No, we are stupidly far off track.

:bsflag: Not true at all. CI users can do anything except deep sea scuba diving and play with a Van De Graaf machine. Why are you making up lies? Are you so uncomfortable with yourself that you have to make things up to scare people just so you feel better? Also, unless you have been living under a rock, you should know that CIs are in the EAR not the brain.

Can you play football with a CI? Can you play Hockey? Can you play Basketball w/o worrying that a ball can bean right square on the CI? Baseball for the same reason? How about wrestling? Vollyball (again about the ball vs CI) And yes you're right about scuba diving, too bad, too sad. A missed opportunity.

These are popular sports and none will be able to play with CI.

That's why I advocate the rights of a child to choose whether or not he/she wants a CI. If a child finds out there's certain sports that he/she can't play because of CI and really wants to play it, yet has no say because a parent felt that he/she needs to "fix" their child, thereby denying the child a dream of playing a sport that he/she wants to play.

When the child reaches the age of 18, that's when he/she can decide for themselves if they want that implant, along with a well informed decision of the pros and cons associated with having a CI. Plus being informed of the dangers of contracting meningitis which can have the potentiality of killing the implanted user, no matter how well medicated they are weeks to months prior to surgery, the risk is still there.

Personally, I can't understand why any human being sees a child who without a CI is perfectly capable of doing anything they want, except hear, be considered "defective" in any way, shape and form.

There's nothing wrong with being deaf.

What's wrong is the misconceptions, false fears, falsely informed that a child cannot have a happy and productive life if she/he is deaf.

Yiz

Back