My son is getting a CI

Elliotts Dad

Reaction score
After a bunch of more testing recently his left ear (which used to be good ear) has dropped into the severe-profound range and his right has gotten a little worse (severe).
We are going ahead with the CI in his left as soon as all the paperwork has gone through.
Kind of excited, but kind of nervous also.

Yay! The CI is absolutly perfect for the cases where there's progressive loss or don't have a lot of benifit from hearing aids..

Understandable feelings. I wish you all the best having once been in your shoes I can understand the gravity of your decision but for us, and especially our daughter, it turned out to be the best decision we ever made and one we would make over again in a heart beat. I would suggest for any questions you have, join the ci circle as it populated by ci parents and users and there is no arguing/bashing allowed just helpful talk and information.
Good luck,
Rick

Understandable feelings. I wish you all the best having once been in your shoes I can understand the gravity of your decision but for us, and especially our daughter, it turned out to be the best decision we ever made and one we would make over again in a heart beat. I would suggest for any questions you have, join the ci circle as it populated by ci parents and users and there is no arguing/bashing allowed just helpful talk and information.
Good luck,
Rick

I just joined that Yahoo Group this week! You are right, there is a lot of helpful information there. I wish I would have found it sooner.

Good luck,
Rick

I second Rick's thoughtful advice, it's not for everyone, but I feel the same way about our decision: wouldn't turn back for the world. And I think the CI Circle is a really great resource, too.

CI have nothing to do with it. Rick says there no bashing allowed in another forum and that's what I was replying to. No one was bashing him.. yet anyway, and Rick just jump right into it.

CI have nothing to do with it. Rick says there no bashing allowed in another forum and that's what I was replying to. No one was bashing him.. yet anyway, and Rick just jump right into it.

It kind of looked like you were. That's my home state guy! Be nice to Elliot's Dad. I will probably run across him in a local play place with my granddaughters.

No problems, I didnt take that in a bad way at all. I dont post a lot but I joined and have lurked around here ever since I found out my son was deaf.
It doesnt take long to learn where everyone stands on issues and take everything with a grain of salt.
This place has been very helpful and I'm sure my son will find it to be the same when he is old enough type, lol. (That might not be long seeing that he isnt even quite 4 yet and he already knows how to boot up the computer, go to pbskids, and play the hell out of all the games!)

understandable feelings. I wish you all the best having once been in your shoes i can understand the gravity of your decision but for us, and especially our daughter, it turned out to be the best decision we ever made and one we would make over again in a heart beat. I would suggest for any questions you have, join the ci circle as it populated by ci parents and users and there is no arguing/bashing allowed just helpful talk and information.
Good luck,
rick
+1

You may want to also try the HLAA and AG Bell organization that is if you didn't know about them already?

One way or another, best of luck with your sons's implant!

Remember, when your son gets a CI, he will never be able to play sports. It's too dangerous with a CI attached to the brain.

Yiz

Remember, when your son gets a CI, he will never be able to play sports. It's too dangerous with a CI attached to the brain.

Yiz

I should use that more often when people say "deaf people are cocoon to the deaf community" and other commments like that.

People need to be aware that there are adjustments.

I could see Football being out of question but there are other non-contact sports Elliot could do if he wanted.

oh and

Repeat after me: "COCHLEAR IMPLANTS ARE NOT ATTACHED TO THE BRAIN!"

Yiz

:bsflag: Not true at all. CI users can do anything except deep sea scuba diving and play with a Van De Graaf machine. Why are you making up lies? Are you so uncomfortable with yourself that you have to make things up to scare people just so you feel better? Also, unless you have been living under a rock, you should know that CIs are in the EAR not the brain.

I should use that more often when people say "deaf people are cocoon to the deaf community" and other commments like that.

People need to be aware that there are adjustments.

That post was all a lie, so I wouldn't use it to defend anything :roll:

Back