My son is getting a CI

While you are certainly welcome to your opinion, I don't think those two statements do anything for maintaining credibility on the topic.
Maybe it was poorly worded?

Regardless, as the parent I have the right to make that decision as well as many others for my child.

You are making the choice that is best for your child.

Elliott is 4 right? Was he well aided before this? How's his language? Miss Kat was implanted at 5, (starting at age 3 they consider it late implanted) and it has been a lot of work, but she loves her CI's and spoken language.

Are you getting one or two? After Miss Kat's sequential experience, I have become a huge fan of simultaneous bi-laterals!

My mom won't let me play football. She won't let my brother play football or basketball either, even though he was approached by the hs coach, because he's completely built for it. Neither of us wears a CI.
My mom also would probably let me go more than 25 ft under water, and I say probably because I already have negative pressure on my ears as it is, 25 ft under would be pretty bad.
My parents made a lot of decisions for me when I was younger- for example, I had my cleft palate repaired. Should I be angry with her for that now? I also had speech therapy for 11 years. Should I be pissed? Should I demand that she have the surgeon restore my cleft palate back? Or should I thank her for the opportunity that she presented me, in order to learn to speak, drink, eat, and breathe properly before it became too difficult for me to learn to do these things?

Boy, it is always the hearings defeating the deafs and we get to suffer what the hearing parents want us to do like forcing us to hear. I am pretty sick and tire of the whole thing. I am going to go quietly away.

:iough:

Remember, when your son gets a CI, he will never be able to play sports. It's too dangerous with a CI attached to the brain.

Yiz

He can play any sports but not dangerous sports such as Rugby or other rough sports. I used to play soccer for the 1st eleven for my school and I wore a scrum Cap on to protect my Implant. Not a big deal at all. :) Some people who's playing soccer and chosen not to wear it. Its their choice. All the best for your son and im sure he will do well. Good luck

CI is not attached to the brain. Just near at the skull.

Boy, it is always the hearings defeating the deafs and we get to suffer what the hearing parents want us to do like forcing us to hear. I am pretty sick and tire of the whole thing. I am going to go quietly away.

:iough:

Please don't go away , Bebonang..

He can play any sports but not dangerous sports such as Rugby or other rough sports. I used to play soccer for the 1st eleven for my school and I wore a scrum Cap on to protect my Implant. Not a big deal at all. :) Some people who's playing soccer and chosen not to wear it. Its their choice. All the best for your son and im sure he will do well. Good luck

CI is not attached to the brain. Just near at the skull.

Skipped through my post on page 3 where I made a discovery of my error?

Whoops!

Yiz

Ok let me put it this way, with CI a child will face certain limitations.

Without a CI, a child faces NO LIMITATIONS.

Which is better?

If a child wants to do some contact sports but the coach says no because he/she has a CI. Now what? SOL?? Now picture your child banned from contact sports that he/she really wants to play so badly, sitting on the bench watching the game being played, feeling bitter because Mom & Dad thought "what was best for them" that prevented them from doing what their heart desired.

Now imagine this......

If a child without CI wants to play contact sports, the coach sees no CI, lets him/her in. Grows up to excel in (insert contact sport here) and lands a Lettered jacket that becomes the envy of his classmates. All because he/she had faced absolutely NO LIMITATIONS.

Which looks really good?

Yiz

Ok let me put it this way, with CI a child will face certain limitations.

Without a CI, a child faces NO LIMITATIONS.

Which is better?

If a child wants to do some contact sports but the coach says no because he/she has a CI. Now what? SOL?? Now picture your child banned from contact sports that he/she really wants to play so badly, sitting on the bench watching the game being played, feeling bitter because Mom & Dad thought "what was best for them" that prevented them from doing what their heart desired.

Now imagine this......

If a child without CI wants to play contact sports, the coach sees no CI, lets him/her in. Grows up to excel in (insert contact sport here) and lands a Lettered jacket that becomes the envy of his classmates. All because he/she had faced absolutely NO LIMITATIONS.

Which looks really good?

Yiz

Are you kidding me? You value a small number of sports over the ability to communicate in the mode of communication of the majority? Football over being able to talk to anyone and understand what they are saying? A letterman's jacket at the Deaf school isn't going to make someone that jealous.

Also, as the parent, the choice to play sports is mine. Lots of CI kids play sports.

BUT I couldn't give a rat's ass about sports. I would rather my child excel in ANY other way.

I do not think that you have to have a CI to be successful in life, but the idea that SPORTS are a reason not to get a CI is idiotic to me. There are reasonable reasons not to choose to get one, this is NOT one.

Are you kidding me? You value a small number of sports over the ability to communicate in the mode of communication of the majority? Football over being able to talk to anyone and understand what they are saying? A letterman's jacket at the Deaf school isn't going to make someone that jealous.

A deaf child CAN communicate, there's many methods in communication, not just talking alone. Are you saying a deaf child CANNOT communicate with the hearing world???? I'm deaf and have no problems communicating with the hearing world.

Also, as the parent, the choice to play sports is mine. Lots of CI kids play sports.

Yours? What about the child's? They have no say in the choices of sports?

BUT I couldn't give a rat's ass about sports. I would rather my child excel in ANY other way.

Like what?

I do not think that you have to have a CI to be successful in life

Now there's something we can agree on...

but the idea that SPORTS are a reason not to get a CI is idiotic to me. There are reasonable reasons not to choose to get one, this is NOT one.

Sports is just one of the examples, I'm not excluding anything else.

Yiz

Sports is just one of the examples, I'm not excluding anything else.

Yiz

I said communicate using the majority's mode, listening and speaking. Yes, there are many different ways to communicate, but I am saying that without a CI, a deaf person can not understand spoken language though listening.

About sports, I was saying it was NOT the coach's right to say whether or not the CI is an issue, that is the parent and doctor's decision.

As for my child exceling in other areas....ANYTHING BUT SPORTS! If she decides to do sports I will support her but I would rather she do music, theatre, dance, debate, science club, chess club, french, a-v club, art, Amnesty Internation, mathletes, academic bowl, 4-h, girl scouts, Young Republicans, future farmers of america, the model UN, student council, or ANYTHING ELSE.

Is that clear enough?

I said communicate using the majority's mode, listening and speaking. Yes, there are many different ways to communicate, but I am saying that without a CI, a deaf person can not understand spoken language though listening.

So? You make deafness sound really, really horrible and bad.

About sports, I was saying it was NOT the coach's right to say whether or not the CI is an issue, that is the parent and doctor's decision.

That's where it comes a problem. Although your millage may vary, encountering a school where there are liability concerns do exist. Not all schools are well informed or well educated in the pros and cons of CI. There may be dealings with severe ignorance whereas legal council may be needed to make changes in school policies and or misinformed beliefs.

You'd be lucky you find a school that will not mind a child having CI, but not all of them will feel the same way.

As for my child exceling in other areas....ANYTHING BUT SPORTS! If she decides to do sports I will support her but I would rather she do music, theatre, dance, debate, science club, chess club, french, a-v club, art, Amnesty Internation, mathletes, academic bowl, 4-h, girl scouts, Young Republicans, future farmers of america, the model UN, student council, or ANYTHING ELSE.

What if she's a tom boy :p and wants to play football with the boys? Tough call on that one, wouldn't it? Rare, but they do happen (w/ or w/o a CI that is).

Other contact games/sports would be Volley Ball, Dodge Ball, Kick Ball (those rubber kick balls pack a punch, I remember them well. Beaned me right on my HA and left my ear bleeding. OUCH. But HA is ok, eardrum somewhat damaged, but it healed itself nicely over time, thank goodness).

On the side note, those other activities is fine and dandy. My nieces are pretty heavy into all those things. Dunno how they can keep up with all that, but they're doing pretty good. Both of them are deaf too and they didn't need CI to excel in any of them. They aced in everything. I'm pretty darn impressed. They take after my mother who is also deaf.

Is that clear enough?

As a bell....

Yiz

Good for your nieces who are excelling in everything without hearing being the main focus of their lives. :)

Good for your nieces who are excelling in everything without hearing being the main focus of their lives. :)

Yep, I'm darn proud of them. I actually cried on their graduation ceremony. They really knocked my expectations. They're in college now and kicking some serious butt. One is studying to be a lawyer and the other is studying to be an MD.

Far out, huh?

Yiz

My problem is why place a small child at risk with an INVASIVE surgery, so close to the area of the brain and yet with a small chance of contracting meningitis. If a child could understand the pros and cons associating with having a CI, I wonder what their responses would have been if they could voice their feelings and opinion if given a chance?

Once a parent(s) forces their decisions on a child (not a piece of property, mind you), it's too late for the child to voice their thoughts and feelings.

I would hate to be in their shoes if they discovered there's limited choices in sports that can participate. Then sit at a bench watching others play while possibly resenting the choice that their parent(s) had already made for them. It can be a bitter moment.

Schools may not allow a child to play in any sports out of fear that the child may get hurt (not they may actually care, but it's more to the point) and face a potentiality that the school may get sued by the parent(s).

Also what about small kids around the CI user? Has there ever been any reported cases that a child grabbed the implant and yanked it out? Children who are too young to understand what they're looking at and may not understand how damaging it can be if a child grabbed the CI and yanked it off. You can't damage a child wearing hearing-aids, but could hurt a child with a CI.

I know it sounds overreaching, but I can't help think of all sorts of possible scenarios that could potentially happen.

Yiz

No, you are not overreaching at all! Continuing to post ther same lies about sports, insulting parents of cochlear implanted kids and citing bizarre examples is not overreaching.

It would only be overreaching if you posted that you believe that the signals coming from a child's cochlear implant may be intercepted by aliens circling the earth in their spaceships and thus make cochlear implanted kids easy targets for alien abductions.

Now that would be overreaching.
Rick

No, you are not overreaching at all! Continuing to post ther same lies about sports, insulting parents of cochlear implanted kids and citing bizarre examples is not overreaching.

It would only be overreaching if you posted that you believe that the signals coming from a child's cochlear implant may be intercepted by aliens circling the earth in their spaceships and thus make cochlear implanted kids easy targets for alien abductions.

Now that would be overreaching.
Rick

Um, did you read my correction of my error in the earlier post on page 3? Calling me a liar is slander, rather than using the word "lie", the word "error" is less slander.

Scroll up a bit...

Stop being a selective reader, thanks.

Yiz

Um, did you read my correction of my error in the earlier post on page 3? Calling me a liar is slander, rather than using the word "lie", the word "error" is less slander.

Scroll up a bit...

Stop being a selective reader, thanks.

Yiz

Don't worry..he does that to many others too.

Back