My son is getting a CI

Will you do the same for us when people make lies about the deaf community... like they don't associate with hearing people even those they have hearing families , children, and even friends?

If you send me a pm with a copy of the post, I will review and report if necessary. OFC by the time you do that you too will have also reported yizwhateve's post to the mods.

Can we also take this to another thread as we are far afield from the OP and theme of this thread?
Rick

That post is a flat out lie and you should be ashamed of yourself for posting such garbage.

I am also requesting the moderators to remove it immediately.

Elliott,

In just college alone, here are some of the sports I personally know ci kids are playing:

Field hockey
baseball
football
hockey
soccer
lacrosse
skiing

Posts like the one from this yizwhatever character are exactly the reason why I advise all parents considering the ci for their child to join the ci circle.
Rick

Wow, anti-free speech and anti-opinion much?

I don't approve of censorship, irregardless if the post is factual or not.

Yiz

Yiz

Pulling out the "I have the right to lie if I want" card, really? Why would you want to lie to a parent who is trying to the best for their child?

wow, what's with all the debating going on in here? The decision's already been made, the kid is getting an implant. Stop nitpicking his decision and trying to change his mind. would help if some folks here would quit spewing out garbage that isn't true.

Elliott's Dad, I hope everything goes well with Elliott's implanting process.

Yiz

Spare us the freedom of speech, no censorship and right to an opinion baloney.

You just think its acceptable to lie to people but unacceptable to be called out on your lies.

BTW your right to freedom of speech does not extend to private forums such as this one as the moderators have the right to ban posters and/or remove posts if it violates their terms and conditions.

Rick
"Knowledge is good" - Emil Faber

Pulling out the "I have the right to lie if I want" card, really? Why would you want to lie to a parent who is trying to the best for their child?

You have the right to call it a lie and I have a right to say it ain't. Nothing I have said violates the forum's TOS such as "no name calling, threatening a form member, etc."

I'm entitled to an opinion and I reserve the right to change that opinion at any given time. (in which I am about to now) Same goes for you.

What you want is dictatorship, any opinion you dislike, you DEMAND to have it removed.

Now about changing my opinion, I stand corrected.....

cochlear-implant-diagram-3col.jpg
It's close to the brain, but not a direct contact with it, but the part behind the skull is still aimed for the directional area of the brain, thus the reason why contact sports is often discouraged.

You can swim in a pool, provided that the external part is removed. But as for deep sea scuba diving, it is not recommended beyond 25 meters underwater due to water pressure. But if you swim and bash your head where the CI is present, you're facing a world of a problem, so watch yourself.

But still, any hit against the surface with a CI implant against the skull is very dangerous. Even if a protective wear is present, the risks is still there. The head is a very sensitive thing, which is why EMTs often check the head area as well as the neck before they move down to other areas of the human body.

Feel better now?

Instead of calling me a liar as you have so eloquently knee-jerked stated, point out instead what my error is and some sources for me to look at and I will be more than happy to do some fact checking to see if my current stated opinion needs changing.

Thanks

Yiz

(Except for some circumstances), your parents choose your name. THEY decide what the best name for you is. If they wanted to name you Clownface Mcgee, that was THEIR decision. Yeah, guess what, you CAN change that. Same with CI.

I view Deafness as something that can only be removed if the person consents to it- they acknowledge that.

ACTUALLY ON-TOPIC:
Congrats on the ci :D Let us know how everything goes, and keep on with the updates!!

My problem is why place a small child at risk with an INVASIVE surgery, so close to the area of the brain and yet with a small chance of contracting meningitis. If a child could understand the pros and cons associating with having a CI, I wonder what their responses would have been if they could voice their feelings and opinion if given a chance?

Once a parent(s) forces their decisions on a child (not a piece of property, mind you), it's too late for the child to voice their thoughts and feelings.

I would hate to be in their shoes if they discovered there's limited choices in sports that can participate. Then sit at a bench watching others play while possibly resenting the choice that their parent(s) had already made for them. It can be a bitter moment.

Schools may not allow a child to play in any sports out of fear that the child may get hurt (not they may actually care, but it's more to the point) and face a potentiality that the school may get sued by the parent(s).

Also what about small kids around the CI user? Has there ever been any reported cases that a child grabbed the implant and yanked it out? Children who are too young to understand what they're looking at and may not understand how damaging it can be if a child grabbed the CI and yanked it off. You can't damage a child wearing hearing-aids, but could hurt a child with a CI.

I know it sounds overreaching, but I can't help think of all sorts of possible scenarios that could potentially happen.

Yiz

My problem is why place a small child at risk with an INVASIVE surgery, so close to the area of the brain and yet with a small chance of contracting meningitis. If a child could understand the pros and cons associating with having a CI, I wonder what their responses would have been if they could voice their feelings and opinion if given a chance?

1. It isn't close to the brain, it is in the ear. The ear happens to be on the head, but it isn't remotely connected to the brain and the surgeons get no where near the brain.
2. If you wait until the child is old enough to make the decision, you already took the choice away. If you wait until the child had the maturity to understand the pros and cons (fully), the CI is no longer nearly as effective. If it is done after the age of 5, the benefit is very small compared to the benefit that the child would have gotten at age 1-3. By waiting you ARE choosing. You are choosing to have the child be unable to learn to understand spoken language through listening.

Once a parent(s) forces their decisions on a child (not a piece of property, mind you), it's too late for the child to voice their thoughts and feelings.

Parents are choosing to implant their children for the benefit of the child, not because they view them as property. They are doing it so that the child has every opportunity they can.

I would hate to be in their shoes if they discovered there's limited choices in sports that can participate. Then sit at a bench watching others play while possibly resenting the choice that their parent(s) had already made for them. It can be a bitter moment.

Seriously? We already explained that CI users can do any sport they choose. And are you really deluded enough to think that the ability to play or not play football should be the deciding factor in such an important life decision :roll:

Schools may not allow a child to play in any sports out of fear that the child may get hurt (not they may actually care, but it's more to the point) and face a potentiality that the school may get sued by the parent(s).

Also what about small kids around the CI user? Has there ever been any reported cases that a child grabbed the implant and yanked it out? Children who are too young to understand what they're looking at and may not understand how damaging it can be if a child grabbed the CI and yanked it off. You can't damage a child wearing hearing-aids, but could hurt a child with a CI.

Ok, this question just pissed me off. Are you actually this ignorant or are you just playing stupid? How the hell is a child going to "yank it out"? Do you even have a sliver of understanding about implants? The internal device is COMPLETELY inside. The external processor is held on by an external magnet.

I know it sounds overreaching, but I can't help think of all sorts of possible scenarios that could potentially happen.

Yiz

Why do you bother posting when you clearly have no clue what you are talking about. Why don't you get informed FIRST and then have an opinion. Right now you are just talking out of your ass.

Actually, I limit my 4YO daughter's activities pretty severely specifically because of her CI: I do let her downhill ski, swim, do gymnastics practice martial arts, ride bicycle, play soccer, but I NEVER, EVER let her play team sports in the MRI machine.

I don't know how the school handles kids with implants. I'm assuming it is because it fall off easily without special gears to protect it and the school does not want to be responsible for $6000-$10000 processor. They made me sit during gym because I was wearing a bodyworn FM system. They didn't see the point of taking it off because I wouldn't hear them without it. But they didn't want me wearing it during gym either because it could break or I could get hurt. I don't know the real reasons why they made me sit in gym for a long time.

But about the magnet headpiece, I'm guessing you are thinking of what happens when someone yank it off while it is on... like the power surge of plug from a outlet ? I promise you, it doesn't hurt at all when it falls off or yanked off... BUT I have heard where people (BOTH hearing and deaf) have teased kids with CI and yank it off .. and ever since they have been self consious about it.

Actually, I limit my 4YO daughter's activities pretty severely specifically because of her CI: I do let her downhill ski, swim, do gymnastics practice martial arts, ride bicycle, play soccer, but I NEVER, EVER let her play team sports in the MRI machine.

Or greater than 25 feet under water!!!!!:D

I don't know how the school handles kids with implants. I'm assuming it is because it fall off easily without special gears to protect it and the school does not want to be responsible for $6000-$10000 processor. They made me sit during gym because I was wearing a bodyworn FM system. They didn't see the point of taking it off because I wouldn't hear them without it. But they didn't want me wearing it during gym either because it could break or I could get hurt. I don't know the real reasons why they made me sit in gym for a long time.

But about the magnet headpiece, I'm guessing you are think of yanking it off while it is on... like yanking a plug from the outlet. I promise you, it doesn't hurt at all when it falls off or yanked off... BUT I have heard where people (BOTH hearing and deaf) have teased kids with CI and yank it off .. and ever since they have been self consious about it.

My daughter wears both her implants in gym and has never had a problem. They are insured and we have back-ups. She's a kid first.

They made me sit during gym because I was wearing a bodyworn FM system. They didn't see the point of taking it off because I wouldn't hear them without it. But they didn't want me wearing it during gym either because it could break or I could get hurt. I don't know the real reasons why they made me sit in gym for a long time.

Ugh -- that's definitely a drag. Crazy that they did that to you. What would have been the big deal to either let you play gym without aids or play with them? There are some old school thinkers at my daughter's school who tend to fret about her wearing CIs during certain activities (playing on the jungle gym, among the sprinklers) and I have to keep reminding them that it's OK, the CIs are not an issue -- as FJ said, just let her play.

I think they were afraid I wouldn't be able to follow the directions or something. Later on, I think in 2nd , they started letting me wear my BTE whenever I take my FM off.

Ugh -- that's definitely a drag. Crazy that they did that to you. What would have been the big deal to either let you play gym without aids or play with them? There are some old school thinkers at my daughter's school who tend to fret about her wearing CIs during certain activities (playing on the jungle gym, among the sprinklers) and I have to keep reminding them that it's OK, the CIs are not an issue -- as FJ said, just let her play.

:) Now you're starting to see the issues we faced......

Remember, when your son gets a CI, he will never be able to play sports. It's too dangerous with a CI attached to the brain.

Yiz

While you are certainly welcome to your opinion, I don't think those two statements do anything for maintaining credibility on the topic.
Maybe it was poorly worded?

Regardless, as the parent I have the right to make that decision as well as many others for my child.

Back