my road trip to ohio on sept 1. any good advice?

Zeroblazer21

Reaction score
I'm moving to Ohio, made sure my car is ready, checked spark plug, and replaced the wires, rewired with a new IAT plug wire from eBay, new exhaust hangers, new sets of tires, new brake pad, my air filter is still good, changed my transmission oil and engine oil, and took it for radiator service at Firestone, fuel injection are clean. any good advice for my trip?

Apply for jobs. Look up on yelp.com for some crazy clubbings to meet some females. Try to take up some lessons such as dancing, cooking, or speaking different language. Don't be idle and wait for something, get up and dance!

and don't forget to check your battery... :) and have a safe trip. its all counted.

Check your wipers, too. Grab some fix-a-flat, and make sure you got a flashlight with new batteries. Maybe bring empty gas can just in case.

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

Be a AAA member!

How many miles are you driving/moving?

bring your buddy along... just in a case you get tired from driving in a long trip.

I should say that I make the 26hour drive halfway across canada (and back again) each year - it's not a big deal, I just have the car throughly checked before and make sure I have the extended CAA (AAA) before I set out. I also make sure I always keep the gas tank at least 1/2 full.

Last edited:
Apply for jobs. Look up on yelp.com for some crazy clubbings to meet some females. Try to take up some lessons such as dancing, cooking, or speaking different language. Don't be idle and wait for something, get up and dance!

i have a planned for my school in nc, charlotte, UTI. i alway wanted to get a automotive technology and ase certificate :) that was my plan

Be a AAA member!

How many miles are you driving/moving?

2,500 miles and my car is a 1997 honda civic dx, manual transmission got 40 mpgs. thats what i call a budget car :p

I should say that I make the 26hour drive halfway across canada (and back again) each year - it's not a big deal, I just have the car throughly checked before and make sure I have the extended CAA (AAA) before I set out. I also make sure I always keep the gas tank at least 1/2 full.

last year i went to travel to ohio. it took me three day to help my friend move out there lol

yeah same here i have a AAA card. also i'm alway checking my sweet d16 engine to be in a great shape and tires pressure,too. to be effective to save my gas

If you're drivin' Honda, you won't worry too much. As long as you have just changed oil, oil filter, air filter, tranny fluid and filter changed? Check for belt condition. If belts have crackle on inside then replace it. Most alternator fails after 120,000 miles or more so If you recently replaced alternator. Is your battery new or nearing it's 5 year lifespan as dated sticker on battery?

I would throw in some commonly used tools like racquet, 8mm, 10mm, 12mm, 14mm, and 17mm, pair of pliers, screwdrivers (both phillip and flat head), cheap voltmeter, $5 small LED tatical flashlight (found by the cashier area at Advanced Auto Parts, tis flashlight so damn blinding bright!!), crowbar and duffel bag (to fit all tools in) and throw it in trunk. That's what I would do for long trip.

I've been driving long trip many times and rarely had problems. So just relax and take energy vitamins, water or pop to keep you going for long drive. Sometime I alternatively watch movie on phone (copied from rental movies using DVD converter for phone) and driving to keep me out of boredom (I just prop it where speedometer is) and I admitted I'm just a little crazy but I had no issue on my own way (just like checking speedometer then road).

Catty

last year i went to travel to ohio. it took me three day to help my friend move out there lol

yeah same here i have a AAA card. also i'm always checking my sweet d16 engine to be in a great shape and tires pressure,too. to be effective to save my gas

For me, the trip (one way) is about 1600miles - and takes me 2 days (I drive by myself & stop at night). I actaully enjoy the drive and find it relaxing.

The advantage you have driving through the USA is that there is a lot more little towns everywhere. In Canada you can drive for hours between any towns at all ... in fact we have warning signs on the roads stating that it's "___kms to the next gas station" (so you better have at least 3/4 a tank of gas!).

For me, the trip (one way) is about 1600miles - and takes me 2 days (I drive by myself & stop at night). I actaully enjoy the drive and find it relaxing.

The advantage you have driving through the USA is that there is a lot more little towns everywhere. In Canada you can drive for hours between any towns at all ... in fact we have warning signs on the roads stating that it's "___kms to the next gas station" (so you better have at least 3/4 a tank of gas!).

And also keep eye on KPH, not MPH on your speedo dial!! I've driven in Niagara Falls, Canada (my very first time driving in foreign country) and speed limit was 45 kph and it turned out I was actually driving 45mph, I was simply passing by many cars until I realized that it's not MPH, it's 45 KPH as 25 MPH!! yike!! Luckily, I didn't get caught by Cananda's Red Coat cop!

Catty

If you're drivin' Honda, you won't worry too much. As long as you have just changed oil, oil filter, air filter, tranny fluid and filter changed? Check for belt condition. If belts have crackle on inside then replace it. Most alternator fails after 120,000 miles or more so If you recently replaced alternator. Is your battery new or nearing it's 5 year lifespan as dated sticker on battery?

I would throw in some commonly used tools like racquet, 8mm, 10mm, 12mm, 14mm, and 17mm, pair of pliers, screwdrivers (both phillip and flat head), cheap voltmeter, $5 small LED tatical flashlight (found by the cashier area at Advanced Auto Parts, tis flashlight so damn blinding bright!!), crowbar and duffel bag (to fit all tools in) and throw it in trunk. That's what I would do for long trip.

I've been driving long trip many times and rarely had problems. So just relax and take energy vitamins, water or pop to keep you going for long drive. Sometime I alternatively watch movie on phone (copied from rental movies using DVD converter for phone) and driving to keep me out of boredom (I just prop it where speedometer is) and I admitted I'm just a little crazy but I had no issue on my own way (just like checking speedometer then road).

Catty

my timing belt have been replaced recently 4 month ago,and my battery is 3 or 4 year old. no worrie i plan to get another one after i have moved in ohio
also i have my toolbox with me alway handy for my car to get running good.my alternator is new about 2 year old now

purplecatty said:
Anij said:

And also keep eye on KPH, not MPH on your speedo dial!! I've driven in Niagara Falls, Canada (my very first time driving in foreign country) and speed limit was 45 kph and it turned out I was actually driving 45mph, I was simply passing by many cars until I realized that it's not MPH, it's 45 KPH as 25 MPH!! yike!! Luckily, I didn't get caught by Cananda's Red Coat cop!

Catty

I think ZeroBlazer21 lives in the USA and is only travelling stateside - so that shouldn't be an issue.

I'm Canadian so we're all Km/hr up here ... Though I'm used to switching when I drive in the USA (I lived there for a year, so flip back and forth very easily).

Btw - typical speed limits in canada are 50kms(residential), 60kms (major city streets), 90-110kms (on hwys, depending on location and road conditions etc)

Last edited:

one way to ohio cost me 200 buck all way to get there lol. oh boy i love honda civics :), i alway work on my civic, tune it up, get it going until it die, then swap it for a low mileage d16 engine under 600 to 500 :)

I think ZeroBlazer21 lives in the USA and is only travelling stateside - so that shouldn't be an issue.

I'm Canadian so we're all Km/hr up here ... Though I'm used to switching when I drive in the USA (I lived there for a year, so flip back and forth very easily).

you're correct i live in usa. i live in Montana,missoula. i havent touched canada before lol least i like to collect parts from junkyard from any towns hehe. cant help myself. its my bad habit,haha.

Back