My old hearing aids...

Cloggy

Reaction score
that is very good to know. Thank you. I do have a question, for both Cloggy and Grendel, as well as for cdmeggers. How do you keep the CI on a child who is so small? And for cdmeggers (I am so sorry if i am spelling it wrong) does the processor itself hurt behind the ear? I am worried that after the surgery, it would hurt the incision site.
To make a long story short:
Lotte carried them on her shoulders from beginning to about a year ago...
HAve a look here.. and go back in history...
Lotte%20-%20afgewend%20detail.jpg
IMG_1664+-+reduced-787066.jpg
BTE+or+Bodyworn+3.jpg

Here's a post that explains it..

We had it for so long on her shoulders because we never had to worry about loosing it, and the "Experts" couldn't explain why we HAD to put it on the ears... LOL..
Good times..

The old boxes from my childhood were worse!

oh really?? Frist i got a white bra that looks like actually bra. later, my friends dad made the leather bra with my name on it. It looks cooler one. i am disppointed that my mom threw it .. oh no..

You wore your hearing aids on your back instead of on your ears?

front. at that time - there was a HA "vest/suspender" to hold a device.

my HA was something like this
7092179-old-analog-body-hearing-aid.jpg

my first HA was a huge box like this -
img_00031-300x206.jpg

later model was smaller so I had suspenders with a small pocket on each side to hold a device.

front. at that time - there was a HA "vest/suspender" to hold a device.

my HA was something like this
7092179-old-analog-body-hearing-aid.jpg

my first HA was a huge box like this -
img_00031-300x206.jpg

later model was smaller so I had suspenders with a small pocket on each side to hold a device.

Makes me wonder about these parents that implant their infant child; would they be as pushy if the option was this?

Makes me wonder about these parents that implant their infant child; would they be as pushy if the option was this?

:hmm:

what's good is that my parents flat-out refused to opt for CI and continued to refused it. the thought of implanting a device into my skull horrifies them.

I think we're very fortunate that CIs and HAs available to today's adults and children are so very different from the HAs of our childhoods.

Last edited:

Some would. A friend of mine was either the very first or certainly one of the first to be implanted in the UK. Back then the implant sat out on a kind of stud like the BAHA rather than a magnetic connection, so she had a selection of covers to put over the abutment when she was not wearing the processor (which was always :giggle: ). She didn't want the implant at all, but her parents pushed and pushed for it as they hoped it would make her "normal" again - they were significantly not supportive, when they met me they thanked me for agreeing to be her friend "What with her being like she is" - they couldn't even say "deaf".

Her implant processor was like the old hearing aids, a massive box on a long string with one of those PP3 9V batteries in it. Really heavy and bulky. She didn't benefit at all and was left with a big thing sticking out of her head and her parents in a rage as they had paid for the operation privately and put the whole family in debt for it and they threw that back in her face for the rest of her life. She has had to wait longer to get explanted over if she agreed to have a newer modern implant put in, as the lists are different. It's "cosmetic" to get rid of the big lump sticking out the side of her head.

Some people are prepared to go to whatever lengths.

Last edited:
Oh my ..... Them little boxes ha,I did wear them when I was kid and I didn't like it to wear
Ha box till I am six yrs old convert to BTE HA .I do remmber I was happy wear
Two BTE ha .The HA boxes are very old techonlogy and look at now new tecnology smaller and powerfull HA . :)

Laugh, I nearly wet myself.
Seeing the fabulous pictures of the hi children was wonderful. Kids really can teach us oldies a lesson. Forget the problem, get on and play. :)

Some people are prepared to go to whatever lengths.

Yes, that is quite apparent. Same goes for plastic surgery, where the goal is vanity. Maybe they are the same?

I am sad for the parents that look at their deaf child as broken, but as the divide grows between the CI fans and the opposition, with the venom I see, getting your child to bypass the deaf world entirely must be the ultimate goal; more than having a child that hears with a CI. They don't want anything to do with the deaf. They look at the deaf as a flawed people.

Yes, that is quite apparent. Same goes for plastic surgery, where the goal is vanity. Maybe they are the same?

I am sad for the parents that look at their deaf child as broken, but as the divide grows between the CI fans and the opposition, with the venom I see, getting your child to bypass the deaf world entirely must be the ultimate goal; more than having a child that hears with a CI. They don't want anything to do with the deaf. They look at the deaf as a flawed people.

"look at their deaf child as broken" :roll:
"bypass the deaf world entirely must be the ultimate goal" :roll:
"don't want anything to do with the deaf" :roll:
"deaf as a flawed people" :roll:

.. and with mis-interpretations, assumptions and insinuations like that... you'll keep the division alive... :hmm:

"look at their deaf child as broken" :roll:
"bypass the deaf world entirely must be the ultimate goal" :roll:
"don't want anything to do with the deaf" :roll:
"deaf as a flawed people" :roll:

.. and with mis-interpretations, assumptions and insinuations like that... you'll keep the division alive... :hmm:

I am wrong? Matter of opinion. It looks a lot different when you are the one being discriminated against. Most of us are living it. You are living vicariously in it, through your child.

What do you really know about deafness, other than it is something you do not want in your family?

I have no qualms standing here and keeping the divide growing exponentially, if it keeps the bias going both ways.

I am wrong? Matter of opinion. It looks a lot different when you are the one being discriminated against. Most of us are living it. You are living vicariously in it, through your child.

What do you really know about deafness, other than it is something you do not want in your family?

I have no qualms standing here and keeping the divide growing exponentially, if it keeps the bias going both ways.

Does a parent who fills their child's prescription for glasses, view them as broken? What about parents who give their child orthotics, do they view them as broken?

What does "keeping the divide growing exponentially" actually achieve?

Back