My name is Sue, how do you do?

Razzette

Reaction score
I know, that's not my username but I couldn't resist. For those who don't know, that's a line in an old Johnny Cash song called "A Boy Named Sue." :wave:
I have been losing my hearing since my early 30s. Now in my mid 50s, I have severe hearing loss in my right ear and moderate hearing loss in my left ear with both continuing to deteriorate rather quickly. I have no idea how long it will be before I am essentially completely deaf, but I suspect it will be inside of ten years.
I currently wear hearing aids and am quite happy with my new pair. I also use a bluetooth device that pairs with my aids to help me hear on my cell phone. Without the bluetooth, it is extremely difficult for me to understand anyone on the cell phone so I am very thankful I can use it, at least for now.
There has not been a specific diagnosis for my hearing loss other than the determination that I don't have an auditory nerve tumor. That's always good! I have some symptoms of Meineres but I don't follow the typical pattern so who knows. So long as the cause is not some dastardly, deadly problem I don't really care. Although I value my hearing and will be sorry to lose it, life could throw many worse problems at me than deafness. I am determined to stay positive.
The hardest thing for me though is to face group social things. I end up with a headache trying to understand people and it is getting more and more frustrating. I live in the hearing world since everyone else in my family is hearing. I rarely come across any deaf or hard-of-hearing people.
My husband and I have been learning ASL for about five years now; he is very supportive. We started learning in California where we attended a large church that used interpreters for one of the Sunday services. After learning quite a lot, I also took an intermediate ASL course at the local community college.
We both abandoned the typical 9 to 5 working world at the end of 2009 and took off in our fifth wheel trailer to travel and work camp around the U.S. We generally stay in one location for five to six months. We always try to find a good church to attend wherever we are and more often than not, once people see me signing the songs in the worship service, I get asked to sign them with the worship team or at least with the choir. Although I feel completely inadequate and most definitely out of my comfort zone, it does force me to continue to learn. (I have sung on worship teams and as part of a choir most of my life, but signing while I am singing is a new challenge.)
Well, I think that's it. That's my introduction. Nice to meet y'all.

welcome to AD! I'm pretty much the same as you (moderate/severe in left, severe on right)

Hi, My name is Tex and its probably best if I don't try to rhyme.

Back