My Mapping today

LadySekhmet

Reaction score
Hello Everyone!
I had my first "real" map today. Feel free to look at my blog, added my audiogram. I'm particularly fond of the "It's All in the Numbers" post that's below it. I don't think anyone have tried that before!

It was interesting because I heard everything above the 20 db line. My audiologist was very surprised, and she even did some tests to make sure I'm not just pressing the buttons. It wasn't supposed to happen like that on FIRST time. LOL!

Things are sounding more crisp now, and I think I'm going to take a shot at the Harry Potter audio book. :-D

Music is slightly better, but it will take some time. No more BUZZING! Thank goodness...that drove me crazy.

thats sooo good! congrats..wow HP the books are sooo good. After u read the books u shud wtch the movies in cc so you can get a feel for the characters..i loved both!

I did not have strange noises expect that the bass did sound like a quiet giant motor humming in the background for a short time. I was taken by surprise how noisy my clothes were making and all the breathing sounds from people in a crowd.
My understanding of classical music really blossom at the 6 month mark and being able to hear details in a Mahler concert with full symphony, full chorus and seven soloists was something I did not except the implant would work at that level and it was just unbelievable in my case.

I am glad that the buzzing is gone for you. My second guess that the buzzing was from the trauma of the surgury. Take care. :fingersx:

Whew! So glad the buzzing is gone and that you are enjoying your new map! Wow, you're hearing at 20db for all the frequencies? That is awesome!

Audio books are a great way to practice :)

I did not have strange noises expect that the bass did sound like a quiet giant motor humming in the background for a short time. I was taken by surprise how noisy my clothes were making and all the breathing sounds from people in a crowd.
My understanding of classical music really blossom at the 6 month mark and being able to hear details in a Mahler concert with full symphony, full chorus and seven soloists was something I did not except the implant would work at that level and it was just unbelievable in my case.

I am glad that the buzzing is gone for you. My second guess that the buzzing was from the trauma of the surgury. Take care. :fingersx:

The buzzing was actually because I had a crude map! It was just the very first map to get used to the CI. There was nothing fancy smancy on it. As Abbie said, "It's because your ears wanted more power, so it's making everything sound like crap". That's why there was buzzing. :)

I love classical music...I can't wait to hear some more. Right now, some music sounds distorted. If I know the music well (like Reba songs), then it sounds okay (not great, but my auditory memory takes over), if it's a new song, or new music, it sounds slightly weird at the moment...patience patience....

Whew! So glad the buzzing is gone and that you are enjoying your new map! Wow, you're hearing at 20db for all the frequencies? That is awesome!

Audio books are a great way to practice :)

No, I'm hearing ABOVE the 20db line. I'm hearing everything at the 10db line. :shock: The only dip is at 4k - that's on 20db.

Right now I am listening to Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone. Yes, the UK version. Stephen Fry (better known as half of "Fry and Laurie". Hugh Laurie is Dr. House!) is a better reader due to the fact that he does a character voices. When he act out Aunt Petunia, he says it in a female voice. So, he basically "act" out the characters. The US version (Jim Dale) sounds like someone is reading at a storytelling show.

Luckily, I got the UK special edition book for my birthday.

So far, it sounds good, but the male voice sounds a little bit like a girls' voice. I would have to ask my audiologist to fix that because it didn't sound like that a week ago.

Any other audiobooks you suggest? Short stories?

Second day on the new map! How's it going?

Hmm, I need adjusting! Male voices sounds like a woman voice. My boyfriend has a natural deep voice, and I know what it's "supposed" to sound like. Before the map, I was able to hear him, but he sounded soft. Now, I can hear him more, but he sounds like a woman. I've read somewhere that CIers would say that. I'll have to get used to it, or the map is just a little bit wrong. Kinda hard when everyone in the audiologist office is a female! :)

Oh well...My next map is next month. If it's too annoying, I'll email my audie on Monday and ask if she can do a quick fix.

Hmm, I need adjusting! Male voices sounds like a woman voice. My boyfriend has a natural deep voice, and I know what it's "supposed" to sound like. Before the map, I was able to hear him, but he sounded soft. Now, I can hear him more, but he sounds like a woman. I've read somewhere that CIers would say that. I'll have to get used to it, or the map is just a little bit wrong. Kinda hard when everyone in the audiologist office is a female! :)

Oh well...My next map is next month. If it's too annoying, I'll email my audie on Monday and ask if she can do a quick fix.

It's great that you are able to hear his voice....even if he does sound a little feminine! LOL. It's an adjustment, I'm sure. I'm happy to know that things are going so well for you, though. I look forward tohearing about all of your exciting new discoveries. And, hopefully, your boyfriend's voice will get lower as time goes on!:giggle:

Darn I wrote out great info for you and lost it. That is what I get for sleeping in this A.M. Will write it out again later.

No more bee sounds of buzzing flying around your ears. :giggle: j/k

Glad everything works out for you! :)

LadySekhmet
you are running a bit ahead of the curve of people that I know that have a implant. It takes time for people with CI to get used to the sharpness of the high frequencies before you can have enough volume to hear at 10db. I had no trouble hearing deep male voices but it was kind of spooky for me for a while to hear all the deep bass of the male voice. If you do call your audi you can find out if she/he did any changes on the second map that would have affected the deep bass. In any case I think that you are doing very well with the implant.

LadySekhmet
you are running a bit ahead of the curve of people that I know that have a implant. It takes time for people with CI to get used to the sharpness of the high frequencies before you can have enough volume to hear at 10db. I had no trouble hearing deep male voices but it was kind of spooky for me for a while to hear all the deep bass of the male voice. If you do call your audi you can find out if she/he did any changes on the second map that would have affected the deep bass. In any case I think that you are doing very well with the implant.

Yeah, that's why I was so surprised about the whole thing. I asked my audiologist if she's kidding me...she was even more surprised. "This wasn't supposed to happen on first map!"

That's interesting about you having no trouble hearing deep male voices. The first few days I had a small difficulty with Roy, but then it wasn't so bad. The thing that was "louder" was when he say the high frequency/quiet sounds like Sh, ch, Sss, t's etc. But now, it just sounds slightly more feminine. Over time things should sound a little bit better. My dynamic range is small right now, so over time it will get bigger.

:)

Back