My Map....

overthepond

Reaction score
This is my map of my 9 month tune up which was taken this morning. I am very pleased to say that i got my 3 of 4 electrodes back on and is hearing well. They tried the no 14 electrode i had to ask them to turn it back off!! it was still giving me non auditory stimulation... perhaps later in the year, because of this change my hearing remains a little bit better at 30 db (no 35's this time!) so i can get used to the middle frequencies before they move me up to 20db or better.

img028.jpg

Red bars is my threshold (T)
Green bars is the quietest sound i can hear (C)
Blue bars (there's 3) above or in line with red bars are the levels that NRT tested and is the levels i heard when i was under GA at hospital during my CI operation almost year ago.

On left side states what implant (freedom), map number (for hear again it's map number 68!!) Strategy is ACE, Rate (900hz),
Below it is the "bar code" number of my freedom implant and dates of last tests which was about 6 weeks ago (17th of April)

DR is Dyamic range
LF is low Frequency (not sure how that works) The Audi said they only test people 250 to 4000 Hz as it's the speech range so there is no point for them to test either sides of 250/4000 but she did say i can hear 27hz pretty well aided.

Any questions just ask.

Charlotte,

I can't read what you've posted. Would you mind explaining what it says? :ty:

By the way, I'm glad you were able to turn on several electrodes and that it resulted in better hearing. :D

I'll try my best (and if anyone wants to add thats fine with me)

Ok I have no idea how you "read/feel" graphs. If you do great...Think of vertical lines (which is electrodes) graph ok. The comfort levels are quite smooth on all electrodes (horzitonally) and my threshold is red curve just severals notches above the green, between those two there is dyamic range. at the bottom there is boxes with numbers. On one side it's listed like C for comfort levels, T for Threshold, DR for Dyamic Range, LF for Low Frequecy and under each electrode there is 4 different readings of my mapping it goes like as follows

electrode 22 = Comfort levels 172, Threshold 137, Dyamic Range 35 (C-T = DR) and Low Frequency 188hz
electrode 21 = C 174, T 136, DR 38 and LF 313hz

and so on for each electrodes.

Hope this helps??

(((((HHHHHHUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGGGGGSSSSSSSSSS)))

Wow, I'v never really seen this before. As at Manchester, they tend to turn the screen away so I cant see it, I dont know why. But hopefully Ill get things more explained to me next time!

Thanks for showing this!!

Thanks for the screenshot! I rarely see a CI programming in action! The LF might mean that's the corresponding frequency of each electrode. How are you hearing at 27Hz if the lowest is 188Hz? What tests were used for below 250Hz? I see you have a dynamic range of as much as 49db! I see you also have better threshold in the highs than the mids and lows!

To move you up to 20db, they set the T's down from 130 to 120 and this improves you from 30db down to 20db and also increases the dynamic range by 10db as well. Could you ask your audie what factors determine why some people can't get better than 50db threshold while others get to 25db or better? Is it true that the better/lower the threshold, the weaker the electrical pulse? If the T's are set too low, would the electrical pulses be too weak to be felt and therefore youd simply hear nothing?

I know that with HAs, the amount of residual hearing is the biggest indicator of how well a person would hear. It's straightforward with the amount of gain used to amplify a given loss. Say someone has 90db loss, give a gain of 70db and he hears at 20db. Sounds below 20db would not be loud enough to be heard and sounds above 20db will be heard louder.

I always wondered what it looked like on the computer screen when one is having their implant mapped. very interesting stuff!

Whats the numbers 22-5 for? Are these the electrodes?

Hehe this is confusing me. I just have no idea.

Yes thats right lissa, the 1-5 is covered!! oh well I will ask for full map next time. We were so long with mapping today, took 2.5 hours!!! i was so tired afterwards.

why is the numbers over 100 on the red and green bars? sorry about the questions, im trying to understand this

Not a problem, I am not quite sure to be honest, I think they are DB levels of the quietest sound i could hear (green) and the max threshold sound i could bear with (loud but comfortable) which is red bars.

Yeah, I had learnt so much today and my head is about to explode!!! lol!! Excuse me for bit of blonde moment as there is few things that had escaped my head!!

Hoping one of CI "expert" would come on... wheres steve (i think) when we need him!

I'll try my best (and if anyone wants to add thats fine with me)

Ok I have no idea how you "read/feel" graphs. If you do great...Think of vertical lines (which is electrodes) graph ok. The comfort levels are quite smooth on all electrodes (horzitonally) and my threshold is red curve just severals notches above the green, between those two there is dyamic range. at the bottom there is boxes with numbers. On one side it's listed like C for comfort levels, T for Threshold, DR for Dyamic Range, LF for Low Frequecy and under each electrode there is 4 different readings of my mapping it goes like as follows

electrode 22 = Comfort levels 172, Threshold 137, Dyamic Range 35 (C-T = DR) and Low Frequency 188hz
electrode 21 = C 174, T 136, DR 38 and LF 313hz

and so on for each electrodes.

Hope this helps??

(((((HHHHHHUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGGGGGSSSSSSSSSS)))

:ty: for the explanation.

Unfortunately, I don't understand what any of those numbers mean.

Glad i can be bit of help, I think they are db levels. We need SteveESP to explain if he can... (i hope) I am not good at explaining things.

If you or I were 5000 miles closer I would have been happy to show you by making things (beads etc) so you can feel what map "looks" like...

Glad i can be bit of help, I think they are db levels. We need SteveESP to explain if he can... (i hope) I am not good at explaining things.

If you or I were 5000 miles closer I would have been happy to show you by making things (beads etc) so you can feel what map "looks" like...

How sweet of you Charlotte. :ty:

I'm sorry I don't understand what any of the numbers you posted mean. I can't see the computer screen when I'm mapped, so I have no idea about the specifics of my maps except that my maxima
is 8 and I'm using ACE at 900 Hz.

Thats ok, It must be hard to explain the techical side of it... I'll leave it to the "experts" in hope they can explain bit better for you.

And actually my maxima is 12... I don't know what that is!! LOL!

Thats ok, It must be hard to explain the techical side of it... I'll leave it to the "experts" in hope they can explain bit better for you.

And actually my maxima is 12... I don't know what that is!! LOL!

My audi explained what maxima was last week, but I can't remember.

It sure would be nice if someone could create a website with mapping terms so that all of us have a better understanding of what everything means.

I will try my best to explain everything in words and hopefully everyone understand how to read your map. For those who don't see it...ASK your audiologist to show it to you. It's so stupid if they're not showing it to you!

Now, On top - #68, #67, #51, etc etc. are the map numbers. If I can recall correctly, the audiologist can reach to the first couple of maps to compare. These numbers aren't exactly important, but it does tell what's the number of mapping has occurred.

Below that is the important part. 22 to 5 is the number of electrodes that are seen - 1 to 4 is on the far right, it's hidden until the user scrolls over to the right.

There SHOULD be three colored bars. Blue, Red, and Green. Blue is the result of the NRT. It should have been done during surgery and/or AFTER activated. I seriously think everyone should have this done. It may be a little painful (noise painful, not physically...unless if you have overly sensitive nerves). OverthePond only had 4 Blue bars. Honestly, she really should have EVERY single electrode tested.

The red bars *theorectically* should meet up with the blue bars after the NRT. There will be cases where the red bars will be above or below the blue, but it shouldn't be that far apart. This is how they test on children because of lack of responses from the child.

The green bars are shown on each electrode. The numbers (172, 173, etc etc), I am not exactly sure what THOSE numbers mean, but I think it has to do where the frequencies fall on (which is shown on the far left). 0 to 250 is shown on the far left. The green bars are pretty much the comfort levels before it starts to get too quiet.

The red bars are above that. These are the tolerate levels. They're the maximum of loudness in that electrode that the patient can tolerate.

The numbers in BETWEEN the bars is the DR. It's NOT the same throughout, it's depends on the electrode, the user's tolerance, etc. For Overthepond it ranges between 35 and 49. The higher frequencies has the lower DR. The betweens (electrodes 17 and 10) have the higher DR. Her low frequencies also have a bit of low DR. In comparison, my DR in the lows is pretty high, but in the high frequencies it's low.

Overthepond's Electrode number 14 is turned off because it's faded out. For mine, it was number 12.

The rest of the information is pretty much personalized to her own needs/CI. Such as Pulse rate, Maxima, Strategy, etc. These stuff you have to ask your audiologist to see.

My Pulse Rate is the highest possible, ACE is the strategy (there's three...ACE, Speak and CIS). But that's pretty much all I know.

Hope someone learned something new!

HearAgain - If you still can't understand it, let me know...I probably can do some embossing for you...then you can "FEEL" it. How cool would that be?!

Back