My Introduction

Cdodd

Reaction score
My name is Cort, I'm 23 years old. I've got type iv osteogenesis imperfecta, which is a bone disease that very commonly affects the hearing ability of those afflicted with it. My grandfather completely lost his hearing by the time he was my age. My uncle has lost about 50% of his hearing. My mom's lost about 10% of hers.

Needless to say, I'm headed in that direction. I've got a hard time getting the courage (and the patience) going to the doctor, because I know what they're going to tell me... Blah blah blah, this is inevitable, but we can try to delay it, for tens of thousands of dollars.

I guess I'm here because I'm scared. I've tried discussing my fears with my friends and family, but they don't understand. They think I'm exaggerating, and that I need to relax; it can't be as bad as I say it is, and it's not going to be as bad as I think it'll be.

I guess I'm here because I need to know that other people have been through this, and have come out on top.

Hi Cort, sorry your friends do not understand your fears. I lost all of my hearing overnight and was met with some huge challenges. You will find all of us here have different experiences. There are so many terrific people on this site and great information.
I believe the best thing you can do now, is learn ASL (American Sign Language). Be prepared as much as you can. You already made the first step by posting here on AD. Welcome and best of luck!!!

Hi. My husband's family has progressive loss so the same thing happens to them. Try to relax, and not worry so much. You really will be fine.

My name is Cort, I'm 23 years old. I've got type iv osteogenesis imperfecta, which is a bone disease that very commonly affects the hearing ability of those afflicted with it. My grandfather completely lost his hearing by the time he was my age. My uncle has lost about 50% of his hearing. My mom's lost about 10% of hers.

Needless to say, I'm headed in that direction. I've got a hard time getting the courage (and the patience) going to the doctor, because I know what they're going to tell me... Blah blah blah, this is inevitable, but we can try to delay it, for tens of thousands of dollars.

I guess I'm here because I'm scared. I've tried discussing my fears with my friends and family, but they don't understand. They think I'm exaggerating, and that I need to relax; it can't be as bad as I say it is, and it's not going to be as bad as I think it'll be.

I guess I'm here because I need to know that other people have been through this, and have come out on top.

Welcome :wave: I'm not familiar with your disease and curious about what you mean by the bolded portion above... How can they delay you losing your hearing?

Welcome :wave: I'm not familiar with your disease and curious about what you mean by the bolded portion above... How can they delay you losing your hearing?

Well, I have a lot of friends tell me that there are surgical options (I honestly haven't done a ton of research, this has just been kind of a panicky week...) available, that I can use hearing aids, etc... I don't have any way of paying for these things, and honestly after fighting with red tape and hospitals for years, I've got no interest in any of these avenues that aren't likely to do much in the end... :( I dunno.

Hi Cort, sorry your friends do not understand your fears. I lost all of my hearing overnight and was met with some huge challenges. You will find all of us here have different experiences. There are so many terrific people on this site and great information.
I believe the best thing you can do now, is learn ASL (American Sign Language). Be prepared as much as you can. You already made the first step by posting here on AD. Welcome and best of luck!!!

I'm making plans to start taking ASL at the college here, some time in the next few months. What's nice is I've talked my romantic interest into learning it with me, so we'll be able to practice together. She's a saint.

Hope this forum helps for you to understand better and know you are not alone. I am not the right person since i was born profoundly deaf and an asl user.

so welcome. :)

You are so in the right place, Cort. Trust me, ADers are very understanding and supportive and will honestly answer anything you ask. I lurked here for almost two years before I joined, so I feel like I "know" a lot of them. I am so at home here and I know you'll feel that way, too, over time. You're scared now, but you won't always be scared. Hold on to that promise!

Last edited:
Back