My future CI plan

GREAT! I'm so exciting! I am telling you what? My husband's heavily favorite listen the music with IPOD all the times. I wish I would hear the music. I can't hear a sound with hearing aids. I am looking forward to get CI. :dance:

Can I ask you a few questions about your hearing past? I don't want to be negative, but I also think that you should have appropriate expectations for your CI.

Were you born profoundly deaf, or was your loss progressive or late onset?
Have you worn hearing aids for a long time?
Do you get much gain from the aids?
Are you able to use spoken language? Do you lipread well and use speech yourself?
Have you used spoken language in the past?

The reasons I ask those questions is because, the adults who do very well with CI's are the ones who have had hearing in the past or who have been very "oral". They are typically good hearing aid users, who lipread and speak. Aduts who have never used speech or listening with hearing aids don't generally like their CI's. They receive only noise and usually end up taking them off. While that is not always the case, it is often true. But there are exceptions, people who never used hearing aids, but work super hard and learn to use their CI's for enviromental sounds, and as an aid with lipreading. But, honestly, those people never are able to use a telephone and generally don't care for music.

Again, I don't mean to say it is impossible, and each person is different, but these are the realities of adult implantation.

That's cool! I am thinking about black or dark chocolate or new clear translucent. Because I has a dark brown hair. I am not decide what color do I want. I can't wait to pick a color for offer to match. :)

* Can you speak on phone when you are wearing CI?
No, not everyone can talk on phone after got CI.
Also none of devices offer clear color. Cochlear america have pink, blue, black, brown and tan click on my blog you will see my pink CI!

* Do you have experience with headache when you hear any loud stuff or just a soft sound as smooth?
Only will get headache if I hear loud noise for long time like chain saw cut wood all day then will get headache on left side
* After you get activated the device. How long it will be heal your surgery?
It took me 4 weeks to feel back to 100% normal (no swelling, no fatigue etc) but the incision took 3 months for the achy ear from weight of processor to go away.

GREAT! I'm so exciting! I am telling you what? My husband's heavily favorite listen the music with IPOD all the times. I wish I would hear the music. I can't hear a sound with hearing aids. I am looking forward to get CI.

I'm different, I never really listened to music all my life only watched music video or heavy metal/rocks to feel beats so I didn't learn to listen to instruments, vocal, etc so I don't like listening to most music with CI, I only like soft music, simple music, good beat music or clear female voice singing with slow music. I can't understand what they are saying while singing its too hard for me because of guitars, drums mix the sound up. So I need caption or lyrics then I can catch some words with CI.

I can't use phone because I don't speak well enough and I need lipreading with sound to understand people. I can only communicate with people if one on one right now but in group I have really hard time only can catch few words.

But I can hear clock ticking, cat purring, meow, rain, ocean waves, stair creaking, everything! And the speech comprehension listening and lipreading combo increased from 40% to 80% in 3 months for me. So I consider myself successful.

Since you were born deaf and doesn't speak or listen well with ha for speech you are more likely not being able to use phone because its very hard I can't do it. Its ok.

And it will take a lot of work to understand some of speech you will need a lot of therapy, practice listening to people, tv with caption to follow what you hear, read book and listen to book on cd same time to try match up word you hear and reading book, use lipreading to fill in some blank you can't understand with CI, music will be confusing and you might not going to like it or you might will like it I don't know every one is different.
Important to keep your expectation low and not to get too excited about CI because it will be hard and frustrating process. Like first activation it will sound too weird, beep, sound like feedback, whistling, a lot of very weird noise it will go away if you learn to know what sound you hear so it improve and sound different

for example you watch tv in black and white everyone look same until you saw all 10 people eat black balls then a man tell you number 1 is eating red apple then black ball change to red apple because you learn what it is and number 2 is eating orange it change into orange because you learn what it is and number 3 is eating grapes it changes into grapes so after you learn what all 10 people are eating it don't look all same anymore its all different because you learned what it is.
Its same way with sound at first everything sound kind of same but when you learn what bird sound like, what voices sound like, etc it change and now all sound different.
Understand it now?

Can I ask you a few questions about your hearing past? I don't want to be negative, but I also think that you should have appropriate expectations for your CI.

Sure, You can ask me.

Were you born profoundly deaf, or was your loss progressive or late onset?
Have you worn hearing aids for a long time?
Do you get much gain from the aids?
Are you able to use spoken language? Do you lipread well and use speech yourself?
Have you used spoken language in the past?

Yes, I was born deaf with 90 percent. I got first hearing aids when I was 2. I went to pre school for hearing impaired when I was 3. I took a speech therapy class. I am honest with you. When i get home from school. I pulled my ha off. My mom tried to put me on HA. I wasn't listen to her. She think my hearing aids are not help to hear enough. She wanted me to get CI when I was 6. My dad better not implant me without decide. He told my mom just wait until i get older and make a decide. I went to mainstream elementary school. I took a speech therapy class. I like the sweetie teacher. But other teacher were abuse on me. She grabbed my cheek for not use speak. I was hurt. I told to my mom about teacher abused on me. My mom wouldn't believe me. I was disappointed. I can read lipreading a little bit. I can speak a little. I made a wrong decide for go to deaf school without wear HA. I noticed the kids don't wear HA and some HA. I thought I didn't need to wear HA at deaf school. I took a speech class at deaf school. I wasn't happy with teacher treated me crap. I stopped speak and lipreading for a years. Now, I am learning to lipreading and speak now. I know I should be wear HA and speak language. I made mistake myself.

The reasons I ask those questions is because, the adults who do very well with CI's are the ones who have had hearing in the past or who have been very "oral". They are typically good hearing aid users, who lipread and speak. Aduts who have never used speech or listening with hearing aids don't generally like their CI's. They receive only noise and usually end up taking them off. While that is not always the case, it is often true. But there are exceptions, people who never used hearing aids, but work super hard and learn to use their CI's for enviromental sounds, and as an aid with lipreading. But, honestly, those people never are able to use a telephone and generally don't care for music.

Again, I don't mean to say it is impossible, and each person is different, but these are the realities of adult implantation.

That's true. I wish I would know better to wear HA and speak language. :( My mom in the law will pay me a speech therapy. I have to be patient and take time for a while. I am feeling overwhelme to practices for many years.

I'm different, I never really listened to music all my life only watched music video or heavy metal/rocks to feel beats so I didn't learn to listen to instruments, vocal, etc so I don't like listening to most music with CI, I only like soft music, simple music, good beat music or clear female voice singing with slow music. I can't understand what they are saying while singing its too hard for me because of guitars, drums mix the sound up. So I need caption or lyrics then I can catch some words with CI.

I understand what you mean. I shouldn't be exciting. Thank you for sharing with your experience.

I can't use phone because I don't speak well enough and I need lipreading with sound to understand people. I can only communicate with people if one on one right now but in group I have really hard time only can catch few words.

Darn it. Do you think it will take 5 to 10 years later to speak on phone? It's your first time to get CI since last Feb.

But I can hear clock ticking, cat purring, meow, rain, ocean waves, stair creaking, everything! And the speech comprehension listening and lipreading combo increased from 40% to 80% in 3 months for me. So I consider myself successful.

That's good. I will learn it when I receive CI.

Since you were born deaf and doesn't speak or listen well with ha for speech you are more likely not being able to use phone because its very hard I can't do it. Its ok.

I never hear on the phone with HA because I'm profound deaf. It's okay if I can't speak on phone. Maybe in 10 years later? Who know..

And it will take a lot of work to understand some of speech you will need a lot of therapy, practice listening to people, tv with caption to follow what you hear, read book and listen to book on cd same time to try match up word you hear and reading book, use lipreading to fill in some blank you can't understand with CI, music will be confusing and you might not going to like it or you might will like it I don't know every one is different.
Important to keep your expectation low and not to get too excited about CI because it will be hard and frustrating process. Like first activation it will sound too weird, beep, sound like feedback, whistling, a lot of very weird noise it will go away if you learn to know what sound you hear so it improve and sound different

You're right. I think it's beginning to learn first step. I will test if i like to listen the music or not. I will see it. I don't want too loud on music.

for example you watch tv in black and white everyone look same until you saw all 10 people eat black balls then a man tell you number 1 is eating red apple then black ball change to red apple because you learn what it is and number 2 is eating orange it change into orange because you learn what it is and number 3 is eating grapes it changes into grapes so after you learn what all 10 people are eating it don't look all same anymore its all different because you learned what it is.
Its same way with sound at first everything sound kind of same but when you learn what bird sound like, what voices sound like, etc it change and now all sound different.
Understand it now?

Yes, I understand what you mean. Thank you for explaining me. I am still learning about CI. :)

Pinkie, I wish you all the best on your CI journey!! :hug:

No, not everyone can talk on phone after got CI.
Also none of devices offer clear color. Cochlear america have pink, blue, black, brown and tan click on my blog you will see my pink CI!

You know my cousin with 2 implanted. He is 6 years old and can speak on the phone. He is lucky! Yes, I saw your picture with pink BTE. I like it! It look good on you.

Only will get headache if I hear loud noise for long time like chain saw cut wood all day then will get headache on left side

It took me 4 weeks to feel back to 100% normal (no swelling, no fatigue etc) but the incision took 3 months for the achy ear from weight of processor to go away.

Yes, I noticed the processor is more weight than hearing aids. Do you feel comfort to wear more pound after heal?

Pinky,
I wish you the best. When you get the audiology evaluation, you'll know what you should expect with your CI based on their evaluation. I read you mention that you want to be able to better lipread. Here's a link to free video lessons you can try to practice on. You can get the first lesson and try it.

DCMP.org :: Home :: Media Library :: Browse

Good luck! :)

Pinky,
I wish you the best. When you get the audiology evaluation, you'll know what you should expect with your CI based on their evaluation. I read you mention that you want to be able to better lipread. Here's a link to free video lessons you can try to practice on. You can get the first lesson and try it.

DCMP.org :: Home :: Media Library :: Browse

Good luck! :)

Thank you for link. I put in my bookmark. :)

Tricare sounds quite good since it will also cover Replacement of the cochlear implant external speech processor device. I think that you need a insurance expert to help you out to work with the two insurance policies that you have.

Okay. I am first time to have own two insurances since I got married last summer. Thank you for advice.

hi. im so excited you are getting the ci. i have one in my right ear and it is amazing. i use the phone occasionally and i listen to my ipod like any other normal teenager :D

After I healed I can't feel the weight so sometime I forgot that I'm wearing CI :lol:

at least you have insurance! I have none. I'm about ready to start looking for a new, Full time job that offers insurance... The newspaper is great, but I'm not getting anywhere with them it seems (they can't give me more than 4 hours a day which sucks).

Pinky,

You can also contact your CI center for more information regarding your insurance carrier and CI coverage. They have experts on staff who deal with insurance companies on a regular basis.

Pinky,

You can also contact your CI center for more information regarding your insurance carrier and CI coverage. They have experts on staff who deal with insurance companies on a regular basis.

Yes, I will. Thank you for Tip and advice. Can I ask you? Why I have to wait for my name on lists? is that why because of customer's evaluation and have a surgery on the schedules? I just wonder.

I just saw this thread, good luck!! Was today the day you saw the doctor? How did it go?

Not yet. I just called to ENT for appointment. They said put on my name lists for schedule. It take me 2 to 3 months to call back.

Back