My future CI plan

Pinky

Reaction score
I decide to make my own thread since I got many posts about my future CI. I don't want to topic off at threads. I am going to call ENT about CI evaluation on Monday. I want to make a journey. I can ask you many questions and ask me everything. I want to learn from your experience. :)

Good luck with your CI journey, Pinky. :)

By the way, did you see my post in the "Are You Wearing HA, CI or Never?" thread which listed a website where you can find CI centers in Indiana? Just thought I'd let you know in case you missed it.

Good luck with your CI journey. :)

Good luck with your CI journey, Pinky. :)

By the way, did you see my post in the "Are You Wearing HA, CI or Never?" thread which listed a website where you can find CI centers in Indiana? Just thought I'd let you know in case you missed it.

I am sorry. I missed your post with find clinics. I will check it out website for CI available. Thank you for telling me.

I am curious about insurance will cover for CI. I have Medicare. My husband have Tricare and other insurance. I found Tricare can cover for CI. What do you think?

Pinky,

Both Tricare and Medicare cover CIs. If I'm not mistaken, Medicare pays for 80% of the total cost for CI.

I let you know. I called to ENT for CI evaluation schedule. The person said not until Feb or March. They put my names on list. I can't wait until Feb or March. The person said will call us for schedule in 2 to 3 months. :fingersx:

I let you know. I called to ENT for CI evaluation schedule. The person said not until Feb or March. They put my names on list. I can't wait until Feb or March. The person said will call us for schedule in 2 to 3 months. :fingersx:

Pinky,

I'm sure the time will go by quickly. In the meantime, you can order DVDs from Cochlear and Advanced Bionics about cochlear implants. (They are captioned.)
For more information on these DVDs, you can visit:

Advanced Bionics:

BionicEar.com - Harmony Cochlear Implant by Advanced Bionics

Cochlear:

Cochlear: World leader in advanced hearing solutions. Nucleus cochlear implants and the Baha system.

Pinky,

I'm sure the time will go by quickly. In the meantime, you can order DVDs from Cochlear and Advanced Bionics about cochlear implants. (They are captioned.)
For more information on these DVDs, you can visit:

Advanced Bionics:

BionicEar.com - Harmony Cochlear Implant by Advanced Bionics

Cochlear:

Cochlear: World leader in advanced hearing solutions. Nucleus cochlear implants and the Baha system.

That's great! Thank you so much! :hug: I really like AB harmony because of color custom. Or other CI brand. It doesn't matter to me. I want BTE to match on my hair. What color is your CI BTE do you have?

I have a question for you.

Pinky,

You're welcome! :hug:

Both of my CIs (Freedom) are black.

However, I also have two older processors (known as the 3G) where I can change the bottom compartment to one of 12 different colors. I have them all marked in Braille on the underside of the plastic so I can color coordinate my wardrobe with my processors. :)

AB Harmony has all kinds of neat color combinations. I think you'll be quite happy with the choice of colors that they offer.

What is your question for me?

Pinky,

You're welcome! :hug:

Both of my CIs (Freedom) are black.

However, I also have two older processors (known as the 3G) where I can change the bottom compartment to one of 12 different colors. I have them all marked in Braille on the underside of the plastic so I can color coordinate my wardrobe with my processors. :)

AB Harmony has all kinds of neat color combinations. I think you'll be quite happy with the choice of colors that they offer.

What is your question for me?

That's cool! I am thinking about black or dark chocolate or new clear translucent. Because I has a dark brown hair. I am not decide what color do I want. I can't wait to pick a color for offer to match. :)

I have a questions for you.

* Why do you wanted to hear both ears than one?

* Can you speak on phone when you are wearing CI?

* Do you have experience with headache when you hear any loud stuff or just a soft sound as smooth?

* After you get activated the device. How long it will be heal your surgery?

That's great! Thank you so much! :hug: I really like AB harmony because of color custom. Or other CI brand. It doesn't matter to me. I want BTE to match on my hair. What color is your CI BTE do you have?

I have a question for you.

I have chocolate brown cochlear with pink mic cover... I think deciding on what brand of cochlear to suit your lifestyle/comfort is more important than what color it is. As once you have chosen the CI it's with you for many years. There is no changing minds. I like AB too as it is lovely product.

View attachment 13003

I have chocolate brown cochlear with pink mic cover... I think deciding on what brand of cochlear to suit your lifestyle/comfort is more important than what color it is. As once you have chosen the CI it's with you for many years. There is no changing minds. I like AB too as it is lovely product.

View attachment 13003

That's cool! I don't want to change my mind too much. But I don't mind to have a gear for ears with fashion color. Hearing Aid Safety Device to Cover, Protect, & Prevent Loss of Children's Hearing Aids! When I get old have a gray hair. I would dye cover my hair to match on BTE. LoL

Thank you for post a picture of your BTE match on your hair. It's very invisible and hard to notice. I like it! :)

That's cool! I am thinking about black or dark chocolate or new clear translucent. Because I has a dark brown hair. I am not decide what color do I want. I can't wait to pick a color for offer to match. :)

I have a questions for you.

* Why do you wanted to hear both ears than one? In Uk Adults can only have one unless you are legally blind or have physcial problems (hearagain must had 2 because of her blindness) Perhaps you can have 2 aswell as you are also blind aren't you?

* Can you speak on phone when you are wearing CI? No I can't yet, I had been deaf all my life, i need to learn to listen on the phone but i have noone to practice with

* Do you have experience with headache when you hear any loud stuff or just a soft sound as smooth? I never had headache with CI, If it's too loud i just turn it down or move to quieter program. At start i heard things in high pitch now it had levelled out with the lows. The words had started to make sense, Lipreading are much better than it was before CI, The sounds isn't soft at all just combination of all sorts of frequencies as sounds comes in... I think it's clarity of sounds that is much better than with HA's as i am able to hear things with high freq aswell as soft/low freq which made the sounds sense to me, For example Pre CI I never heard my mum's voice properly, it sounded like high pitched disorted sound now with CI it sounds so clear, softer so when i am not looking i know it's her!

* After you get activated the device. How long it will be heal your surgery? Ermm my steri strips weren't removed until 2 weeks post surgery, i wasn't allowed to wash my hair for 2 weeks! Overall physical i was fully ok 3 weeks post op although i did drive 4 days post op. I didn't get activcated for 5 weeks post surgery (this is because it was during summer holiday the kids get the appts first before Adults so they are prep for School. The norm was 3 to 4 weeks post op) at switch on my incision was fully healed and i had no swellings.

Hope this helps

As written in Pink (just for you Pinky!)

* Why do you wanted to hear both ears than one?

For me, it was a matter of being able to localize sound since I'm totally blind. Although I used a hearing aid in my nonimplanted ear for 6 months post activation, over time, it proved to be no longer beneficial (i.e. weak and distorted).

* Can you speak on phone when you are wearing CI?

Yes. In fact, I hear better on a cell phone than I do on a landline phone.

* Do you have experience with headache when you hear any loud stuff or just a soft sound as smooth?

I'm a migraine sufferer (always had them before getting my CIs). However, ever since my CI surgeries, I haven't experienced as many migraines as I have in the past. Sometimes I still have migraines when I'm exposed to loud or very high pitched sounds, but the overall number of migraines that I have are much less frequent than they were pre-CI.

* After you get activated the device. How long it will be heal your surgery?

Healing takes 4 weeks. Activation usually takes place after the scar has had a chance to heal.

For my first surgery, it took a week for me to fully recover.

For my second surgery, it took about two weeks.

i

As written in Pink (just for you Pinky!)

That's good. Thank you for answer the questions. Yes, you remember I told you about I have usher syndrome as Retina disease. My mom and my husband offer me to get two because of my vision problem.

I need to practice with speak and lipreading skill more. My husband will call to my old teacher about speech therapy.

Can you hear the music? Do you understand the words? I am telling you what? My dog's voice is very high pitch.

Riley hosp had me wait several months for my evaluation also. Then another two months for surgery date. It was about five weeks for my insurance to authorize cochlear implants, but only one. Not two.

The wait is long. I used my time to send away for packages from Cochlear America, Med-El & Advanced Bioincs, join their forums (and this one). At the evaluation they want you to decide which brand you want either right then or within a few days. Now I am only six weeks away from surgery. Yay.

You say your appointment is at Riley. Is your doctor Dr Miyamoto?

- Almyra

Last edited:
Back