"my deaf son fought speech. sign language let him bloom."

That's okay. I notice that "s" was not one of the prerequisites according to the OP.
Lawdy awmighty, THAT gave me major problems.
(Don't worry, I mean only in talking. :))
/S/ is a late arriving sound, it is normal not to have it until year 5.

Really? Like out of class. What precipatated the change? Wonder if they were getting lots of " hey we want our kids to take advantage of this excellent oral school, but we don't want Sign demonized" parents.

They knew I know sign language. I have had never experienced any abuse from JTC teacher directly. They didn't stop me from sign as long as they taught me oral methods and I used my voice. That was in the 80s.

I bumped into an acquaintance a few years ago in California. She was involved voluntarily at JTC and knows ASL. She mentioned all teachers at JTC required to take ASL and deaf culture courses before they start to work with children. Some of those JTC students already know ASL before they attended there to improve their auditory and oral skills. Most of them attend mainstream schools (D/HH program) go to JTC for therapy. In my opinion, most JTC students probably came from well-off families like mine, but I could be wrong. JTC is very prestigious.

They knew I know sign language. I have had never experienced any abuse from JTC teacher directly. They didn't stop me from sign as long as they taught me oral methods and I used my voice. That was in the 80s.

I bumped into an acquaintance a few years ago in California. She was involved voluntarily at JTC and knows ASL. She mentioned all teachers at JTC required to take ASL and deaf culture courses before they start to work with children. Some of those JTC students already know ASL before they attended there to improve their auditory and oral skills. Most of them attend mainstream schools (D/HH program) go to JTC for therapy. In my opinion, most JTC students probably came from well-off families like mine, but I could be wrong. JTC is very prestigious.
Are they encouraged to attend D/HH program schools? I'm somewhat impressed. If oral education doesn't demonize ASL, and is presented as "one part of the puzzle", rather then as a be all/end all approach, I could see this working. Especially if a kid was in the placement part time. There's probay still the 1940's mentality that somehow kids will be "better educated" or that the general public will be impressed by a dhh kid who can SPEAK, and I hate that. As I said I knew of someone who had her preschooler in a sign using program for four days a week and on the fifth she went to JTC! I thought that was an awesome compromise.

Are they encouraged to attend D/HH program schools? I'm somewhat impressed. If oral education doesn't demonize ASL, and is presented as "one part of the puzzle", rather then as a be all/end all approach, I could see this working. Especially if a kid was in the placement part time. There's probay still the 1940's mentality that somehow kids will be "better educated" or that the general public will be impressed by a dhh kid who can SPEAK, and I hate that. As I said I knew of someone who had her preschooler in a sign using program for four days a week and on the fifth she went to JTC! I thought that was an awesome compromise.

I have no knowledge about them being encouraged to attend D/HH program schools. That topic in particular never came up in our conversation. I believe JTC handles a case-by-case basis on each individual's needs.

I was in D/HH program for eight years. Speech therapy is a part of D/HH program. All D/HH students must wear school property hearing aids well except one classmate of mine couldn't wear them because she is completely deaf. (She is a psychologist now. She has no interests in wearing CI.) My parents strongly urged the school to not let me wear their school property hearing aids when I had already had my powerful and expensive hearing aids (they're Siemens), because I couldn't get enough benefits from school property hearing aids. One of the biggest flaws is their school property hearing aids may not give D/H students full benefits they need.

The general public will always be impressed by any D/HH kid can speak and it will never go away. Probably ever. People are still wowed by Helen Keller's verbal skills now.

I have no knowledge about them being encouraged to attend D/HH program schools. That topic in particular never came up in our conversation. I believe JTC handles a case-by-case basis on each individual's needs.

I was in D/HH program for eight years. Speech therapy is a part of D/HH program. All D/HH students must wear school property hearing aids well except one classmate of mine couldn't wear them because she is completely deaf. (She is a psychologist now. She has no interests in wearing CI.) My parents strongly urged the school to not let me wear their school property hearing aids when I had already had my powerful and expensive hearing aids (they're Siemens), because I couldn't get enough benefits from school property hearing aids. One of the biggest flaws is their school property hearing aids may not give D/H students full benefits they need.

The general public will always be impressed by any D/HH kid can speak and it will never go away. Probably ever. People are still wowed by Helen Keller's verbal skills now.
Still wish they did as a matter of course....I mean this includes oral programs of course, for kids who might be very oral or whose parents might be resistant to sign for whatever reason. The thing is..... our current oral programming is VERY flawed b/c it assumes that it's unusual to be oral and not sign and it's unusual to not go to deaf school or not be mainstreamed. 40 years ago that might have been the case....But now it's not all that unusual to speak and go to a mainstream school. The WOW "it's a prestigious oppertunity that only a small percentage of dhh kids get" factor is taken away.

Back