My deaf cat? Really?

rebeccalj

Reaction score
We rescue two kitties from kittie mill a year ago this month. One of the kitties, Sophie, she is so outgoing and needy and world revolves around her. Always try to sneak outside when too young. *DID* sneak out and we think she was lost (I post here about it). Purrs and meows a lot. She is like tuxedo kitten in colour.

The other one is named Chester. He is beautiful smokey grey puffy/fluffy cat.

He is skittish? and scare easily. He will not go outside other than just out the front door but nowhere else. He just stays on porch even though allowed outside a month ago if he want. If he sees car he runs back inside fast. Sophie explores everywhere. She is adventurer.

He does not purr that I can feel. He does not meow like Sophie. According to my kids he almost squeeks or has a broken meow? I don't know the right words to explain but it is a different sound to them. Not a meow.

Daughter text me today to say that she think he is deaf because he do not come to calls or respond to noise and that his eyes are blue. She text me that cats with blue eyes are deaf? Is this true?

It would be hilarious to me that the kitty that spoke to me that day is also deaf. :giggle: My two youngest wanted Sophie. Chester and I wanted each other so I took both.

Is there any other way to test hearing of kittie? If he is deaf I would want to know how to parent him properly. Anything special with a deaf kittie to do? Geesh, I feel like first time mother all over again. :giggle:

Last edited:
You so cute!!!! I know nothing of cats, so no help from me...just have say you so cute! LOL.

Well, if you want to be a good kitty mommy for a deaf kitty and want it to hear all the sssss's and Hisssses you get your kitty an implant. Then your kitty can get meow therapy and play with all the mainstream kitties.
(NO just kidding)
Cat with a cochlear implant? Yes it is true! « Kate's Cochlear Implant
Your post just reminded me of this thing.

Seriously though, I am glad that you love your kitties and take great care of them. Maybe your vet can give you advice on kitty deafness?

Well, if you want to be a good kitty mommy for a deaf kitty and want it to hear all the sssss's and Hisssses you get your kitty an implant. Then your kitty can get meow therapy and play with all the mainstream kitties.
(NO just kidding)

Seriously though, I am glad that you love your kitties and take great care of them. Maybe your vet can give you advice on kitty deafness?

:laugh2: I first start reading your post and laugh knowing that you just kidding. :giggle:

I cannot believe someone would give a kittie an implant!!! Geez! How far does it go??!!!

I will ask vet what to do to make sure our boy is safe.

I am glad that you love them. Can we get some photos maybe? Bet they are very cute indeed!

Thanks for knowing that I was just joking. :ty:

Kitty CI!!!! Funniest post ever...LOL

It's like that youtube of guy who post, "My child is deaf now." So many comments think he was serious! :roll: Live a little.

I believe if you log in to Crackbook you can see these.

Sophie:
35342_10150251609575241_776520240_13751081_6814622_n.jpg

Chester:
35342_10150251609545241_776520240_13751080_5771089_n.jpg

I don't have any recent ones. These were just after adoption. They are both mature now and he is one big fluffy son of a gun?

ETA: Chester's eyes are very blue now. <dunno>

aww I ve always wanted a deaf kitty. Just keep your hands moving whatever you want to tell your kitty like " eat? drink? play? stomp on the floor to see if your kitty can reply or anything, just be yourself like you. I have no experience with deaf kitty yet! My friends have their deaf kitties as i met them.

keep us posted! one of those days, bring both of them to the vet for the checkup and ask if vet can find if your kitty is deaf or HOH or something else. :)

(NO just kidding)

Your dog is sooo cute , it he/she part German Shepard /Lab?

How sweet! Love the pixs!

My MIL has a white cat with blue eyes and he is stone deaf !! :) When he was rescued off my SO's property, he texted me to tell me all about it, and told me the kitten was white with blue eyes (they are so blue they're almost purple!) I thought immediately "I bet that cat's deaf!". He totally is !! :lol:

Anyways, my saying "here kitty !!!" gets me no response :lol: I have learned to rub his fur or whatever to get his attention. They (SO's parents) are extra vigilant about making sure he doesn't get outside by accident because they live on a farm where coyotes, etc. are rampant, and poor kitty would not know if one snuck up behind him and tapped him on the shoulder. :lol:

How sweet! Love the pixs!

My MIL has a white cat with blue eyes and he is stone deaf !! :) When he was rescued off my SO's property, he texted me to tell me all about it, and told me the kitten was white with blue eyes (they are so blue they're almost purple!) I thought immediately "I bet that cat's deaf!". He totally is !! :lol:

Anyways, my saying "here kitty !!!" gets me no response :lol: I have learned to rub his fur or whatever to get his attention. They (SO's parents) are extra vigilant about making sure he doesn't get outside by accident because they live on a farm where coyotes, etc. are rampant, and poor kitty would not know if one snuck up behind him and tapped him on the shoulder. :lol:

Thank you! It make a lot of sense to why he freak out when he sees things.

A friend of mine is trying to find homes for 3 black barn kitten. Two of the kitten where very timid and bite a lot and the third kitten was very friendly and my friend found a home for it. Two days before my friend was going to bring the 'friendly' kitten to it new home all 3 of the black kitten came out to greet my friend! The kitten all look alike ,they are from the same litter and same size and have no markings! My friend could no longer tell them apart and had no idea which kitten was one she picked out! I think this is funny, it's as if the 2 timid kitten decided they wanted a new home too and got their acts together and decided to look cute and friendly too!
I once found a kitten that was blind from a horrible eyes infection , I was not able to get it home as my had a baby and I would never had heard the kitten crying for help. The vet put it down ,he said the eyes where too infected to treat. :(

I am a proud owner of my Deaf cat. :thumb:

Do not EVER let your Deaf cat(s) go outside cuz of their low chance of survival.

cutie.

My three cats that i don't allow them out. In the past, (my mom's hearing cats) all of they did not survive past 5 years old. :( So my three cats are indoors and two of them are 11 years old and 6 yrs old.

Same here. I don't let mine out unless I go with. So that's like 15 mins of outdoor time and then back in the house they go!

I am a proud owner of my Deaf cat. :thumb:

Do not EVER let your Deaf cat(s) go outside cuz of their low chance of survival.

He doesn't like to go out. He will sit just outside the front door on the porch but will not go anywhere. He likes to watch people.

Back