my daughter was diagnosed w/Hearing loss

Welcome, lab123!

How did you find out about this site? Is your hearing loss genetic if it passed on to your daughter? You could probably check with your local deaf resources, or community to get educated on the matter if you're interested on how to adjust with it.

By the way, out of political correctness, the term deaf and hearing impaired are technically the same meaning. You do not need to have "stone deafness" to be considered deaf. Anyone with a decent and up loss can be classified as deaf, if they allow themselves to.

Right. Some of them consider themself HOH, or Deaf. Even though they have some hearing.

I do not use the term Hearing impaired either.

My 2 year old just took the sedated abre test.They said she can hear whispers but higher frequency sounds she has trouble hearing and therefore can't talk that well.She is going to need 2 hearing aids and speech therapy.I am 25 and I myself am hearing impaired.no, not deaf, because with hearing aids, I can hear.Im curious to see if anyone else has a high frequency hearing loss?....

I won't be doing ASL with her.No offense to the deaf culture,but I had speech for 6 years and now you can't even tell there is a problem with me bc I speak so well.

I have a high frequency loss myself. And I would never NOT use ASL. I had years of speech therapy myself, so I likely speak as well as you do. And I *still* choose ASL. Why make it tougher on yourself and your child?

hello? can you hear me now?

There haven't been any good trolls lately.

And I am afraid this one is no exception...

I'm not fake,lol, believe me.I have no reason to be.Anywas, what I was asking was:Is there anyone with high frequency hearing loss, that hears pretty good with hearing aids?

This depends on several things. First, at what age did you lose the hearing. I say this because your brain has memory and even though you don't physically hear something your brain can fill in the blanks. For example, if you listen to a song you've memorized your brain will remember it. It will appear you are hearing it better than if you just heard it for the first time. Second, it depends on the technology of the hearing aid. It may be possible she can hear those sounds with an advanced aid. Third, it depends on how well she can understand words. At that age, her ability to discern words can be severely hobbled because she just learning to hear. I'm not sure how much of this you can correct later in life as I had hearing in one ear when I was young. Finally, how bad the physical damage is going to also be a factor.

Hope this help... Don't let the forums rattle you. Everyone has an opinion.

EDIT: And, don't be shamed by not using ASL(it's your choice), not everyone on this forum uses it. And, the forum is "all"deaf not certain deaf and it is here to help everyone.

Aw man! you all scared the OP away.... And here I wanted something to play with. :( :giggle:

hey, I have a high frequency loss here and if you're looking 4 hearing aids, consider yourself looking at mine that has swag LOL

I started out as mild/moderate when I was around her age but now, I'm almost stone deaf (not really though, just a severe loss)

My 2 year old just took the sedated abre test.They said she can hear whispers but higher frequency sounds she has trouble hearing and therefore can't talk that well.She is going to need 2 hearing aids and speech therapy.I am 25 and I myself am hearing impaired.no, not deaf, because with hearing aids, I can hear.Im curious to see if anyone else has a high frequency hearing loss?....

I won't be doing ASL with her.No offense to the deaf culture,but I had speech for 6 years and now you can't even tell there is a problem with me bc I speak so well.

IMO,using speech is more helpful in the real world,from my experience hanging out with deaf friends in the past......

I can hear too, but that doesn't mean I have full and unfettered access to the hearing world. You know you have to pay out of pocket for hearing aids. You are making her technology dependent. She won't be able to function WITHOUT her hearing aids. If you pursue ASL AND speech, she will be bilingal. I find it so ironic that the very same parents who would want their kids bilingal in a spoken language, discard ASL as a possibilty b/c it's "special needs." The thing is, yes there are some dhh kids who are "almost hearing"
but, the whole HLAA "hearing impaired" approach is really boring. Plus, I can guanentee you that if you add ASL and put her in a Deaf program, you will have a lot easier time with IEPs. They just love cheating the dhh kids out of rightful services by giving them minimal accomodnations.

IMO,using speech is more helpful in the real world,from my experience hanging out with deaf friends in the past......

My mom had the same attitude as you.... and it ruined my life.

Sure, I can speak so well that most people don't know I am deaf until I tell them. But what good is being able to speak when I can't, you know... HEAR? Reading lips only goes so far. Now I have no friends in person because hearing people are too exhausting to be friends with, and due to lack of sign language I don't have any deaf friends either. It has been a very, very lonely 32 years. More helpful in the hearing world, my ass.

Sure, I can speak so well that most people don't know I am deaf until I tell them. But what good is being able to speak when I can't, you know... HEAR? Reading lips only goes so far. Now I have no friends in person because hearing people are too exhausting to be friends with, and due to lack of sign language I don't have any deaf friends either. It has been a very, very lonely 32 years. More helpful in the hearing world, my ass.

Huzzah!

I've been told by several (hearing) people that my only disability is that I speak so well. People understand me, absolutely, but they forget that I can't hear them, they forget to look at me, work with me... I'm constantly having to remind them, fight just to get to the point where I can exhaust myself reading lips, still missing out on most of what's being said, and feeling frustrated and isolated. As an adult, I've had to struggle to accept my identity and let go of broken hearing person my mom raised me to be. In the meantime, I'm having to work hard to learn a language that could have been given to me, naturally, when I was young.

Thanks, mom, for making it hard for me to belong to the hearing world, or the Deaf one.

Granted, I think what I'm saying is moot, because trolls don't care about anything besides wrecking havoc, right?

If the OP came here really thinking that speech therapy was in the best interest of their child and wanted support, they wouldn't have phrased things the way they did. Buttons, pushed.

THIS. Seriously OP, do you honestly feel like you totally and completely fit in with the hearing world? Isn't it exhausting hearing and talking? Maybe if you gave your daughter ASL, she could THRIVE beyond your wildest dreams. You wouldn't educate a kid gifted in English but defiencent in math by solely focusing on the math defiency? Yes, oral skills are very useful for HOH kids.....and the gross majority of dhh kids get a hefty dose of speech therapy and Clarke style education. You know, Braille was very unpopular in Blind ed for yeara and years.....but guess what? Those who are Braille literate are employed at higher percentages then those who didn't get Braille....makes you think...it's most likely the same for ASL!

People understand me, absolutely, but they forget that I can't hear them, they forget to look at me, work with me... I'm constantly having to remind them, fight just to get to the point where I can exhaust myself reading lips, still missing out on most of what's being said, and feeling frustrated and isolated. As an adult, I've had to struggle to accept my identity and let go of broken hearing person my mom raised me to be. In the meantime, I'm having to work hard to learn a language that could have been given to me, naturally, when I was young.

Thanks, mom, for making it hard for me to belong to the hearing world, or the Deaf one.

Same here! Every single word of this is my story too. So frustrating.

If you not want offend deaf people, you might want avoid imply being deaf mean "something wrong us" or our world is not "real world". :roll:

Seriously don't understand why people thinking listening, talking or reading lips is exhausting. We are all different of course, but I have never found it to be exhausting

Back