My daughter is deaf

Welcome to AllDeaf!

Don't let it stop you.

This would be a good time to start learning sign language. It will help your child learn to communicate sooner than expected. :thumb:

My 8 month old granddaughter can sign the following words, Hi, More, Eat, Milk.

I am deaf, she is hearing, but I don't think most hearing 8 month olds can communicate that much.

My point being that ASL will be a gift to your family no matter what else happens.

Good luck. :)

:welcome: to AD! My brother and I were born deaf and we are both grown ups living happy and successful lives. Hang in there!

Actually that's a bit inaccurate. Profound can mean anything from hearing 30% of speech words (unaided) on the spondee tests to absolutly NO response (even to enviromental sounds) with aids.
Definitly trial the aids. Don't panic. See if the aids work. You'll still have time for your daughter's listening abilty to develop. I know it may seem like all the docs adn experts make it seem like if a kid isn't aided/implanted optiminly the VERY SECOND they are dx with a hearing loss, they won't be able to acheive in life.
Many of us got our hearing aids as toddlers and we've done fine. The most important thing is Don't Panic.

Actually, I believe that profound hearing loss is defined as a pure tone threshold average of greater than or equal to 90 decibels. The baby had no response on an ABR, that would equate to a profound loss.

Also, 30% on a closed set SPONDEE test would be slightly better than chance odds and would equal close to 0 on an open set test. When I said "hear and understand spoken language" I meant understand running speech and language, not pick out a few words when given very dissimilar choices. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

As for "no hurry" and "everything will be fine", you know we disagree. All the research shows that early id'ed kids with appropriate amplification and intervention do better than late identified kids. It is better to never fall behind than to try to catch up.

They did the brainwave test under sedation. The max they could go to was 90db for an infant. 90db had no brainwave response at all. In a year they said they could go higher- above 100 and see what happens. I'm not sure where that puts her. Based on these results I guess its unclear whether hearing aides can help? Seemed to be their take home message for us.

Maybe the grief will hit one of these days. Right now I'm just in GO mode.

Thank you for the explanation of EI. Its something I will ask about when we visit the audiology dept next week.

I'm on the 90 level db both ears. that like the end of severe hard-of-hearing and beginning of profoundly deaf. and yes, hearing aids will help. But Sign language will help too. you don't have to be good at it. you can start with the basic. you know how hearing people do the same with hearing toddlers: " See this: It's a ball"

Last edited:
I meant understand running speech and language, not pick out a few words when given very dissimilar choices. Sorry for the misunderstanding.
Sigh...... Sorry, but a profound loss can range from the spondee test (which is the say the word test, NOT an open set test of two dissimlair words) to not even any benifit from aids at ALL. There are still people who wear HAs who have profound losses who get decent benifit from HAs. True, its rare for a deaf person to be able to function beyond one on one , with has but you could say that about hoh folks.
As for "no hurry" and "everything will be fine", you know we disagree. All the research shows that early id'ed kids with appropriate amplification and intervention do better than late identified kids.
Sigh. I'm not anti early amplifcation/intervention. Yes, some kids do REALLY well when amplfied early, but a lot of those kids have other things going for them. Oral sucess isn't dependant on ONE thing. It's a mix of many different things. (helicopter parents, parents with very good health insurance, access to quality therapy and so on)

Sigh...... Sorry, but a profound loss can range from the spondee test (which is the say the word test, NOT an open set test of two dissimlair words) to not even any benifit from aids at ALL. There are still people who wear HAs who have profound losses who get decent benifit from HAs. True, its rare for a deaf person to be able to function beyond one on one , with has but you could say that about hoh folks.
Sigh. I'm not anti early amplifcation/intervention. Yes, some kids do REALLY well when amplfied early, but a lot of those kids have other things going for them. Oral sucess isn't dependant on ONE thing. It's a mix of many different things. (helicopter parents, parents with very good health insurance, access to quality therapy and so on)

A SPONDEE test is a closed set word test. It has 12 words. They are all 2 syllable. They include; baseball, ice cream, airplane, toothbrush, and others. To score 30% on this test you would not need open-set word recognition. You would not need to understand general speech, you would just need to be able to hear the difference between those very different words.

Hello there!

Wanted to provide you a link.

I thank Bottes for providing it to me.

This site also has ASL for babies! Which comes in handy. It helps, it will help your daughter tell you what she wants/needs.

http://www.aslpro.com/cgi-bin/aslpro/aslpro.cgi

This site also helps by providing you videos to see how to and learn sign but i would always recommend taking a class as it will help in the long run. Maybe there is a class out there that provides services for parents and children!

. To
score 30% on this test you would not need open-set word recognition. You would not need to understand general speech, you would just need to be able to hear the difference between those very different words.
That could be an unaided score. Hearing aids could still help in that case. I know someone whose score on the spondee test was 10% (unaided) and aided, he could hear 65%.
It's still word reconizing.
Everyone's different you know..........even here in this very thread someone says that hearing aids may help.

Back