My Cochlear Implant

I will not be arguing the definition of disabled here because I already know the end result. However, my definition of "disabled" is the one you find in the dictionary. If you can't get along in the world at large without relying on assistance from others, assistive devices, captions, and are not able to do things that require hearing.. you are disabled as defined in the dictionary unless you are able to do all of those things on your own the same as a person with all functioning senses.

The Deaf definition of disabled is a whole other topic, but it doesn't change the real-world definition. Now I've said my peace and will not engage in circular "logic."

I need glasses in order to drive or recognize faces more than about ten feet away. Am I disabled?
At home, I rely on my nearly 6 foot tall 13 y.o. to reach things for me. If he is not here, I use a stool, an assistive device.:D

I need that same assistive device to climb into my 12 passenger van.

Don't get me wrong, I get what you are saying. For some people, deafness is a disability, I think this is especially true for those late deafened. But it seems for others, not so much.

:dizzy: uh... yes. Not sure why that's not plain enough to understand. However, I enable myself. I'm able to call my Dad and hear his voice and understand him. I'm able to tune my guitar by ear. I'm able to use the drive thru window.

Those are choices, just my opinion. Everyone chooses to do things differently.
I'm able to webcam or VP my friends and sign, watch them sign and understand them.
I'm able to see someone sign to me 50-100 feet away without them having to shout and me replying "What did you say?!"
I'm able to write down my order on paper or orally say what I want ordered in the joint.

What is different?
Nobody has ever said that these things must be successfully done in life in order to not be considered disabled.

I AM DEAF, not DISABLED, I hear alright with hearing aids, I TOO CAN USE A PHONE and talk to MY HEARING friends and family! But I dont go around telling people what is right and wrong about how they are, some people in my position would say they are HOH, when I know that having a severe loss is in fact deaf...

BleedingPurist - maybe you missed my previous post but here it is again -

so.... what is your intention in this forum then?

do you need advice? some help? or what?

:dizzy: uh... yes. Not sure why that's not plain enough to understand. However, I enable myself. I'm able to call my Dad and hear his voice and understand him. I'm able to tune my guitar by ear. I'm able to use the drive thru window.

I'm late deafened....50 years to be exact. And yes, I use the drive-thru window myself too, very easy to do as I still speak and fluent in lip reading. I order at restaurants vocally. And yes, I'm totally deaf, and I do enable myself also. Just becuz I don't have a CI does not mean I'm disabled, and I resent that.

BleedingPurist - maybe you missed my previous post but here it is again -

I didn't miss it. It's an obvious answer. This is a discussion forum for all d/Deaf. There are all kinds of deaf people in the world and you will see them all here... or at least you should. There are deaf people who want to hear from people like me and see themselves represented here.

I posted a few minutes ago, but it got lost with another blip here.

BleedingPurist-
I am Deaf and not a candidate for HA's or CI's at all. I live in a silent world now except for my musical tinnitis. I can use a telephone (CapTel), and use the drive-thru. Oh, and I was hoh since birth, but now total deaf for 5 1/2 years.

My hearing loss does not make me disabled, my other medical issues do. I'm not quite sure how to take your posts, so you have earned an instant "ignore" feature from me as I basically find them insulting and degrading.

I didn't miss it. It's an obvious answer. This is a discussion forum for all d/Deaf. There are all kinds of deaf people in the world and you will see them all here... or at least you should. There are deaf people who want to hear from people like me and see themselves represented here.

no sorry it isn't an obvious answer to me since everybody's reason is different. based on your previous posts - (see below)

Wow! You have no idea how much you are missing out on and how much you have to learn about cochlear implants. You have it completely backwards on a CI being better for someone who has never heard before, quite the reverse really.

First, to be frank, this forum is not the best place to learn about cochlear implants. This is a Deaf forum. If you have decided that your identity as a hearing person is of no importance, that is perfectly fine. However, most post-lingually deafened adults do not gather here, which explains why you have no real concept of others like you using a CI.

I am post-lingual and have been implanted with Advanced Bionics for almost 6 years now. My hearing with a CI sounds very close to natural hearing. I hear people in their own voices and accents. Yes, you can put three or 6 people behind me and I'll tell you who and what they said. I am able to use the telephone again and I listen to talk radio in my car. I have a huge appetite for all kinds of music, from complex classical to rock... both familiar (know the song from having normal hearing) and new (heard for the first time through my CI.)

A CI is not perfect, but it comes very close when optimized. It is life changing for those of us seeking to retain/get-back our hearing identities. A post-lingually deafened adult statistically performs much better than a pre-lingually deafened person because your brain is already wired to hear.

You need to visit hearingjourney.com or look up Cochlear Corps website for their version of a discussion forum. That is where you will find people like you. CIs and hearing aids have different meaning to Deaf people vs deaf people. A Deaf person may regard their CI as interesting at best and have no problem forgoing wearing it. A deaf person who was once hearing won't leave the house without it, much less their bedroom.

A CI is much more powerful than any hearing aid and can not be compared to one. It is very much a modern day bionic ear that has brought great joy to so many.

Good luck in your journey.

Sigh..... Yes, Caroline... I've read them. I didn't just jump on yesterday. I reviewed many threads and the arguments that go back and forth here. I've lurked on AllDeaf since it opened. Before that it was DeafNotes. Frankly, the louder contingent here drive away large droves of other types of deaf people and with good reason. AllDeaf is not representative of deaf people, just those that monopolize the forum.

Nowhere did I state or indictate that d/Deaf people don't read CI threads. So no mistake there. Further attempts to engage me in nonexistent arguments that you came up with yourself will be ignored.

Your posts clearly indicate that this forum is obviously not to your liking and yet you're here. Am I correct to assume that you are here to recruit deaf people to some CI forums and/or to attempt to engage in discussions with us to change our views on "CI culture"?

After the "excitement" over the weekend, it then got quiet, so somebody got bored today and decided to post.

I'm not sure they would want YOU representing them.

no sorry it isn't an obvious answer to me since everybody's reason is different. based on your previous posts - (see below)

Your posts clearly indicate that this forum is obviously not to your liking and yet you're here. Am I correct to assume that you are here to recruit deaf people to some CI forums and/or to attempt to engage in discussions with us to change our views on "CI culture"?

Suggesting forums that may help round out the info one is seeking is not recruitment. How am I trying to change your views on "CI Culture?" It's not about you.

Suggesting forums that may help round out the info one is seeking is not recruitment. How am I trying to change your views on "CI Culture?" It's not about you.

So then you have had this "suggesting" of other websites/forums cleared with Alex the admin?

Oh boy..

I grew up viewing myself as disabled and it made me have a negative view of myself which in turn made people great me like i was disabled. Since changing that attitude and advocating for myself, I have been getting treated as an equal more and more lately. Just because I use a different way of communicating doesn't mean I am unable to function in the real world.

bleedP, oh, you ve lurked here before it opened? So what made you to come here now? Just wonder. :)

bleedP, oh, you ve lurked here before it opened? So what made you to come here now? Just wonder. :)

I've been getting more active as of late in reaching out to and being available to people who are genuinely interested in learning more about implants. It's a very uplifting experience witnessing people cross from one side to the other and see the difference it makes in their lives, an emotional one at that.

So then you have had this "suggesting" of other websites/forums cleared with Alex the admin?

Why would I have to, especially when I have not given direct url links? Why wouldn't you want to if they are seeking as much information as possible on the topic? Giving people a variety of sources to explore on their own helps avert propaganda and agendas. I remember one of the first CI groups I frequented was actually a Cochlear Corp slanted group. It would have been nice to know that up front.

I understand the tendency to be suspicious of newcomers, especially those that won't confrom to the local norms... but really... it's getting a bit out of hand. I'm not here to change anyone, just help those that may want it. I agree, I jumped the gun on rockin'robin, but I did find it odd that someone like her knew so little about CIs, even after all this time.

Did you go to ISD?

Suggesting forums that may help round out the info one is seeking is not recruitment.
your action says otherwise - coming in here with snooty hostility and telling us that this forum is not for CI and suggesting them to other forums instead of coming in here to engage in friendly discussions and getting to know of us.

How am I trying to change your views on "CI Culture?" It's not about you.
this post below and rest of your posts clearly show an attempt to change our views on CI.

Wow! You have no idea how much you are missing out on and how much you have to learn about cochlear implants. You have it completely backwards on a CI being better for someone who has never heard before, quite the reverse really.

First, to be frank, this forum is not the best place to learn about cochlear implants. This is a Deaf forum. If you have decided that your identity as a hearing person is of no importance, that is perfectly fine. However, most post-lingually deafened adults do not gather here, which explains why you have no real concept of others like you using a CI.

I am post-lingual and have been implanted with Advanced Bionics for almost 6 years now. My hearing with a CI sounds very close to natural hearing. I hear people in their own voices and accents. Yes, you can put three or 6 people behind me and I'll tell you who and what they said. I am able to use the telephone again and I listen to talk radio in my car. I have a huge appetite for all kinds of music, from complex classical to rock... both familiar (know the song from having normal hearing) and new (heard for the first time through my CI.)

A CI is not perfect, but it comes very close when optimized. It is life changing for those of us seeking to retain/get-back our hearing identities. A post-lingually deafened adult statistically performs much better than a pre-lingually deafened person because your brain is already wired to hear.

You need to visit hearingjourney.com or look up Cochlear Corps website for their version of a discussion forum. That is where you will find people like you. CIs and hearing aids have different meaning to Deaf people vs deaf people. A Deaf person may regard their CI as interesting at best and have no problem forgoing wearing it. A deaf person who was once hearing won't leave the house without it, much less their bedroom.

A CI is much more powerful than any hearing aid and can not be compared to one. It is very much a modern day bionic ear that has brought great joy to so many.

Good luck in your journey.

your action says otherwise - coming in here with snooty hostility and telling us that this forum is not for CI and suggesting them to other forums instead of coming in here to engage in friendly discussions and getting to know of us.

this post below and rest of your posts clearly show an attempt to change our views on CI.

that statement,

"You are missing out.."

already turned me off immediately.

Why would I have to, especially when I have not given direct url links? Why wouldn't you want to if they are seeking as much information as possible on the topic? Giving people a variety of sources to explore on their own helps avert propaganda and agendas. I remember one of the first CI groups I frequented was actually a Cochlear Corp slanted group. It would have been nice to know that up front.

I understand the tendency to be suspicious of newcomers, especially those that won't confrom to the local norms... but really... it's getting a bit out of hand. I'm not here to change anyone, just help those that may want it. I agree, I jumped the gun on rockin'robin, but I did find it odd that someone like her knew so little about CIs, even after all this time.

Did you go to ISD?

You jumped the gun?...looks like you were outdrawn then...I've known about CI's for years, even met several people that have them. I've been pushed and prodded for years to have one also. And it's none of ur business to know why I've resisted. Just becuz you "think" you know so much buddy....doesn't man squat around here!....and I suggest you take ur silly-assed "help" somewhere else....and don't ever call me "disabled" again!...I eat silly-assed kids like you for breakfast!

I've heard that some people can pee standing up or write their name in the snow. I'm sure I'm missing out, but I don't care to get implanted with the appropriate "device". And I don't consider myself disabled without one. ;)

Back