My Cochlear Implant

First, to be frank, this forum is not the best place to learn about cochlear implants. This is a Deaf forum. If you have decided that your identity as a hearing person is of no importance, that is perfectly fine. However, most post-lingually deafened adults do not gather here, which explains why you have no real concept of others like you using a CI.

Then why are you here?

In a sub-forum about CIs? Because I have one and they are discussed here.

But you stated that this forum is not the best place for CI so what's your intention here? You are clearly not here to learn more about CI. Are you here to recruit members to your CI forums or something?

Then why do you say this:
If you have decided that your identity as a hearing person is of no importance, that is perfectly fine.

Obviously you identify yourself as hearing. Most of the CI users that I know consider themselves deaf. As do I. And if you consider yourself as a hearing person, then you are missing out on part of your own deaf heritage.

Exactly, this is a CI forum where prelingual and postlingual members have described in detail about their experiences and rockin' robin, having been a member since 2007 has probably had much exposure to many many personal and detailed stories by CI users here.

And you're very much mistaken if you think D/deaf people don't read the CI threads. I mean, look how many deaf people are commenting on the CI threads, they do come and gather here.

Many regular posters here ARE post-lingually deaf by the way. Some have HAs and some have CIs. You are not exactly the first post-lingually CI implanted member to come here and talk about your experiences.

Exactly, this is a CI forum where prelingual and postlingual members have described in detail about their experiences and rockin' robin, having been a member since 2007 has probably had much exposure to many many personal and detailed stories by CI users here.

And you're very much mistaken if you think D/deaf people don't read the CI threads. I mean, look how many deaf people are commenting on the CI threads, they do come and gather here.

Many regular posters here ARE post-lingually deaf by the way. Some have HAs and some have CIs. You are not exactly the first post-lingually CI implanted member to come here and talk about your experiences.

Sigh..... Yes, Caroline... I've read them. I didn't just jump on yesterday. I reviewed many threads and the arguments that go back and forth here. I've lurked on AllDeaf since it opened. Before that it was DeafNotes. Frankly, the louder contingent here drive away large droves of other types of deaf people and with good reason. AllDeaf is not representative of deaf people, just those that monopolize the forum.

Nowhere did I state or indictate that d/Deaf people don't read CI threads. So no mistake there. Further attempts to engage me in nonexistent arguments that you came up with yourself will be ignored.

Nowhere did I state or indictate that d/Deaf people don't read CI threads. So no mistake there. Further attempts to engage me in nonexistent arguments that you came up with yourself will be ignored.

Non-existent arguments...lol, ok.

Out of curiosity, when did you become post-lingually deaf?

Sigh..... Yes, Caroline... I've read them. I didn't just jump on yesterday. I reviewed many threads and the arguments that go back and forth here. I've lurked on AllDeaf since it opened. Before that it was DeafNotes. Frankly, the louder contingent here drive away large droves of other types of deaf people and with good reason. AllDeaf is not representative of deaf people, just those that monopolize the forum.

Um, you are making the attempts to engage the others into arguments.

Obviously you identify yourself as hearing. Most of the CI users that I know consider themselves deaf. As do I. And if you consider yourself as a hearing person, then you are missing out on part of your own deaf heritage.

No, my heritage is not "Deaf." My heritage is Irish. I was born hearing and my brain is wired as a hearing person. Being deaf is a disability and that is perfectly fine. I arrived at this point after trying out a school for the deaf for one year, a visit to Gally, and other interaction with the Deaf world. I realized where I do and don't belong and I'm at peace with that.

No, my heritage is not "Deaf." My heritage is Irish. I was born hearing and my brain is wired as a hearing person. Being deaf is a disability and that is perfectly fine. I arrived at this point after trying out a school for the deaf for one year, a visit to Gally, and other interaction with the Deaf world. I realized where I do and don't belong and I'm at peace with that.

1220809117539.jpg

No, it's my reality. It's easier to dismiss the importance of hearing and all that goes with it when you've never really had it. I accept that those who are Deaf live what they know.

Music is too important to me to be flippant about hearing. Not having it would be a disability. I've been on both sides and I know what works for me, just as you do for you.

so.... what is your intention in this forum then?

do you need advice? some help? or what?

No, it's my reality. It's easier to dismiss the importance of hearing and all that goes with it when you've never really had it. I accept that those who are Deaf live what they know..

Yes, I understand it's your reality. The thing is, you just worded your opinions as if this were true for everyone. I can tell you most people here do not view their deaf children as disabled, the whole community alike. That extends from not just the deaf community, but quite possibly with those with CI's and parents as well. Labeling it as a disibility is your own opinion, not everyone is going to agree with you on this.

Do you see how others are feeling you are coming off as argumentative?

Wow. very revealing... You might be interested to know that I too am deaf, but unlike you, I am not disabled.

Wow. very revealing... You might be interested to know that I too am deaf, but unlike you, I am not disabled.

Cheetah, I also am Deaf, and I am not disabled either... It would be very interesting to see if there is a correlation between those of us who use sign as our primary mode of communication, and those who are oral in relation to the way society views disability, as well as how the person themselves view their "disability status"... but maybe thats just the sociologist in me coming out again...

the only place that I even remotely feel "disabled" is when I am at work... and that is because I am forced to voice and lipread all day... the way our society puts an emphasis on spoken language being #1 puts us at a disadvantage... but that doesn't make us truly disabled... I use a different communication method than hearing people... but french people who come to the US use a different method of communication than english speakers, does that make them disabled? NO... so why am I labeled with the term disability when I just communicate differently? Societal norms... but I am NOT disabled...

I will not be arguing the definition of disabled here because I already know the end result. However, my definition of "disabled" is the one you find in the dictionary. If you can't get along in the world at large without relying on assistance from others, assistive devices, captions, and are not able to do things that require hearing.. you are disabled as defined in the dictionary unless you are able to do all of those things on your own the same as a person with all functioning senses.

The Deaf definition of disabled is a whole other topic, but it doesn't change the real-world definition. Now I've said my peace and will not engage in circular "logic."

I will not be arguing the definition of disabled here because I already know the end result. However, my definition of "disabled" is the one you find in the dictionary. If you can't get along in the world at large without relying on assistance from others, assistive devices, captions, and are not able to do things that require hearing.. you are disabled as defined in the dictionary unless you are able to do all of those things on your own the same as a person with all functioning senses.

The Deaf definition of disabled is a whole other topic, but it doesn't change the real-world definition. Now I've said my peace and will not engage in circular "logic."

:hmm:...do you label urself "disabled" too?....You have a CI...so you are disabled, if you want to call it that!...You're depending upon "an assistive device"...a CI....

It's not circular logic. I'm not broken therefore I'm not disabled. You can choose how to label yourself and it will reflect in your interactions with others. I don't want anyone else to look at me as disabled so I don't look at myself as disabled.

No one except a hermit can go through life without relying on others (well even a hermit was a baby at one time). Many people use captions on TV for reasons other than hearing (foreign language, noise room, auditory processing issues, ect...).

Why do I get upset about this? Because you have a chance to improve yourself and instead you sit around arguing that your point of view is the only valid point of view. If we disagree with you then we are wrong. Very sad.

The limits of a person is left to themselves, unless you want to rely on someone or something else out there to do it for you. :2c:

Are you saying the deaf community is not something that exists in the real-world? You see, you are just coming out full of surprises, this is why you are catching people off guard.

We can move on from the discussion as you wish, but like it was said, no one is for a statement "that's what the dictionary said, I stand by this and I won't have a say any further."
It's just circular logic in itself, you are looking for an argument and possibly a fight when you engage in this behavior. The difference is that you're doing this passively.

:hmm:...do you label urself "disabled" too?....You have a CI...so you are disabled, if you want to call it that!...You're depending upon "an assistive device"...a CI....

:dizzy: uh... yes. Not sure why that's not plain enough to understand. However, I enable myself. I'm able to call my Dad and hear his voice and understand him. I'm able to tune my guitar by ear. I'm able to use the drive thru window.

Back